Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi Doug,
    I have been thinking...since you have studied the physiological and psychological aspects of "getting sick" do you think you could give all of us a step by step guide to preventing v*?
    I know there is no absolute guarantee, but I mean no matter what the situation, anxiety, sv, fp, whatever, what steps should one take? You can use anti-emetics in this or not, whatever....what do you think? Thanks ahead of time [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Andee, have you read my Emetophobia and Vomiting FAQs (linked below)? I have a lot of suggestions for preventing vomiting in them. I would suggest using anti-emetics only sparingly, in the most critical situations. There is no point in taking them if you know it is only anxiety, and you might be reducing their effectiveness when you really need them.

When I am in crisis (only one serious one in 30 years) I take an ounce of Pepto-Bismol and then take two Dramamine at bedtime. I have never used prescription anti-emetics.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, I always read your page, but I was just looking for some steps to put here. That's o.k. though. Yes, I only use the good drugs very sparingly, although sometimes it is tricky to tell in the heat of the moment which is making me n*.

Quote Originally Posted by gumdropper1

When I am in crisis (only one serious one in 30 years) I take an ounce of Pepto-Bismol and then take two Dramamine at bedtime. I have never used prescription anti-emetics.
    Glad to hear someone else who uses Pepto. I feel like a lot of people on here either forget about it or just choose not to use it, but man, it works wonders for me.

I too am a recent convert to Pepto. Even bought some chewables for my purse.

Was s* with some sort of stomach bug for 5 days last week. N* with d* and a strange burning (almost like my ulcer was acting up -- BUT acid reducers did NOTHING for the pain). Anyway, husband took some Pepto the night before for heartburn and suggested that I take some.

It was like a small pink miracle!!! Made me feel better in a matter of minutes only Donagel PG has made me feel that good and that's been off the American market for over 20 years now...

Just thought I'd share!

We really appreciate having Doug around here and also all the information he has on his own site. From time to time we've tried to share info as well. But the main purposes of this site are to provide a community of/for people with emetophobia (who feel alone), a forum to support one another when we're afraid or in "crisis", answers to questions about the disorder itself, and finally to point people to information about managing and treating their anxiety. In other words, we don't want to become a place where people learn how not to vomit, because directing your energy there is a really a waste of time. It will just make you terrified for the rest of your life because it's like we'd be saying there's something to be afraid of when there isn't.

Anyway, as you can see there is lots of discussion here about all sorts of things and you can ask any question (like you just did) and Doug or anyone else is welcome to answer.

Does that make sense? I'm not trying to be discouraging at all it's just that different emet websites have different "flavors/atmospheres/foci/ethos" - ours is "support and treatment" I guess.

The next time we do an info upgrade I'll talk to John and perhaps we can provide links to the various other emet sites and what they offer. The great plus to this site is that John has set it up on a huge server and it has lots of traffic.

All the best,
    SageEdited by: sage
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

Thank you Sage for saying so well what I wanted to [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Sorry guys...I didn't know I was posting something that may go against what we are all here for... [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

Don't feel bad, I think each one of us wouldn't mind simple ways to stop
    nausea; especially if it is very severe, and not just anxiety.

You just don't want to end up abusing anti emetics or any such thing is all!
    [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Life is so worth living.

I take tigan daily ): I genereally need it daily though, I get "real" nausea from a stomach condition I have though.
    Life is a wonderful ride.