Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Would you rather

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • NEVER vomit but ALWAYS fear it.

9 26.47%
  • Vomit occasionally but NEVER fear it.

25 73.53%

I am just wondering. A lot of what goes on on emet sites is promoting avoidance of any risky activity. It seems to reassure and make it ok to back down when faced with fear. There also seems to be a big push toward anti emetics with lots of topics comparing and contrasting them.

I guess my follow up poll question would be, do you put as much effort into getting over this phobia as you do in avoiding vomit? I know it can be hard just to get through a day or even an hour with anxiety but are we doing enough to face the root cause of emetophobia or feeding it with avoidance?
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I chose "Vomit on occasion but NEVER fear it," because ultimately, that would improve my life by so much. However, I definitely do NOT put as much energy into getting over the phobia as I should, and, I put a TON of energy into avoiding vomit. I wish it were the other way around, but I don't know really what to do to get over it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fear can only control us if we let it, and unfortunately with a phobia fear
    tends to take center stage in our minds without us having much will to fight
    it. It is almost as if we are slaves to it.
    Anyway I would rather be able to vomit on occasion and never even think of
    fearing it. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    Life is so worth living.

If I never feared v*, It wouldn't really matter when I actually did v*.I would be miserable for a little bit and then move on.I envy those who can v* with illness and not be paranoid like us.I just always wonder how they do it.I know I am a big ol baby when it comes to unpleasant things but seriously! even kids have a easier time with illness than I do.its kinda pathetic lol

Excellent question hippychick! I agree that there is way more attention given on avoiding v* rather than trying to overcome our phobia. This poll says a lot! I think that we all need do more to encourage each other to get over our emetophobia rather than giving each other more coping mechanisms. (Myself included, I'll try my best to follow my own advice. As I know its so hard to watch someone suffer with that anxiety we've all had. I just want to save them any way I know how!)

I don't put as much energy in overcoming this specific phobia. Though, I do put a good bit of energy in overcoming the actions and rituals associated with it.
    Life is a wonderful ride.

Default Re: Would You Rather.....?

Vomit but never fear it! It would be so great. I was also thinking about it before..
    If I never vomit but fear it, it would be worse than this. I hate this constant fear.
    "Worrying is a waste of time. It doesn't change anything, it just messes with your mind and steals your happines."