Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

View Poll Results: Would you have it done?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 77.94%
  • No

15 22.06%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

i had a friend that had a disease [i forget what its called] but he had to have a surgery like this [not brain surgery of course] bc as a kid he would v* uncontrollably and he can no longer v* but sometimes he says he wishes he could bc he feels so bad at times and he knows v* would make him feel better but instead he always has to be rushed to the er. :/ i would do it in a heartbeat....ive actually looked into the surgery he had when my emet was bad, but doctors will only do it if its medically necessary!Edited by: ankitchens

I voted no. I'm with the people who said that sometimes v*ing could be necessary and the inability to do it could kill you. I'm also very scared of being put under anesthesia. I wonder if this is common among emetophobes. It's not the fear that I'll v* after waking (althugh that scares me too), it's mainly the idea of being forced into unconciousness. Yikes.

If I was going to risk a brain surgery, then I'd go for one that shuts down this phobia. V* is a normal and natural part of life;this fear is not.

It's hard to say. Of course I would love to never vomit again, but when you're really sick you sometimes feel relieved after vomiting. It's something normal and your body can get "poisoned" if you don't vomit and then you're only getting sicker. [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I would also require all my family members to have it done.

I have GERD and that surgery has alot of complications. But having the surgery to stop you from *v* would be great and never having to worry about it. i am glad that i am not alone here. I feel like a freak no one seems to understand

heck YES. there are other ways to rid the body of toxins besides v*...... medical ways liek stomach pump. they usually do that when you ingest something bad instead of inducign v*.
    <3 ~Julia~ <3

Quote Originally Posted by jools39
    ya know, i really cant decide, i wanna say yes, bu v* is very helpful to the body, ridding toxins and all. i really cant say. however, if there was some other way to rid the toxins to replace v*, than i would do it without a doubt.

did i say that? i dont remember putting that. well anyway, i disagree with myself because there are other ways of riddgin toxins from you, like i mentioned in the post above. weird huh? what was i thinking!!!Edited by: jools39
    <3 ~Julia~ <3

I have to say NO. I wouldn't want to do something like this to my body in response to a phobia in my MIND.

If I could have my brain re-wired to never feel NAUSEA I would do it in an instant. I would want to retain the ability to manually induce vomiting in case I have the need to get rid of something.

The surgery for GERD may prevent material from exiting your stomach, but will not stop the nausea and heaving. I hear this is an absolute disaster if it happens and is worse than vomiting. You are having all the misery of real vomiting with out any of the releif it might provide, and it may go on a long time.

I might be too worried that I would get an adverse reaction and have non stop v* or something!

I don't even care for this whole v* response.If something needed to be expelled from my body, there ARE other means of doing it if you catch my drift lol.

I voted yes, but only on the condition I can't cure my phobia. Its nice to know that the GERD surgery exists, because it means it can be perfected and is a step in right direction... gives those of us who might not be able to get over the phobia hope.

No, because throwing up is not my problem, fear is my problem. It took me a few months to figure this out and now i'm slowly recovering. Notice how if you take fear away from the beginning of "fear of throwing up", then what does it become? Just whatever it means.

Shutting off the v* center of my brain would be taking easy way out in life and i believe your life won't be as enriching if the easier path is taken. "In fact, adversity develops qualities of strength and compassion". So, for whatever reason it may be, some how i've consciously or subconsciously learned to fear throwing up, AND whatever is learned can always be unlearned, and that's just something i'm willing to tackle.

Thank you for reading.
    \'Meow!\' for goodness sake! Scratch, scratch, scratch. (Lightly of course)

Quote Originally Posted by furryballys
    No, because throwing up is not my problem, fear is my problem. It took me a few months to figure this out and now i'm slowly recovering. Notice how if you take fear away from the beginning of "fear of throwing up", then what does it become? Just whatever it means.

Shutting off the v* center of my brain would be taking easy way out in life and i believe your life won't be as enriching if the easier path is taken. "In fact, adversity develops qualities of strength and compassion". So, for whatever reason it may be, some how i've consciously or subconsciously learned to fear throwing up, AND whatever is learned can always be unlearned, and that's just something i'm willing to tackle.

Thank you for reading.
    I like this way of thinking! As usual - well said and eloquent.

David

Thank you, i'm flattered [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] .
    \'Meow!\' for goodness sake! Scratch, scratch, scratch. (Lightly of course)