Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello everyone!I have been lurking here for some time, reading all of the info & stories. What a supportive group of people you are!

I thought at 1st when I heard of emetophobia, that it was just what I had. But now I'm not so sure.I haven't had time to read everything, so forgive me if something like this has been discussed before.Please feel free to point me in the right direction for info.

While I don't have any fear of v**** - mine or others, I do have an unusual anxiety of my kids v****-ing. It is a constant stress & worry for me, and I have no idea why.I am constantly making sure they have ziplock bags with them in the car or in their backpacks, lunch bags, etc. in case they get sick, and interrogating them all the time - "how do you feel? Are you ok? Does your belly hurt?"

The strangest habit I have with this, is that I make my kids sleep with a bowl by their pillows, in case they get sick during the night.I even take the bowls on vacation with us. I realize this is abnormal to others, and I can't explain it.I just always need to be sure they know exactly where they can be sick if they need to be, to cause the least amount of mess or smell for others.I am constanly monitoring what they eat, and am a nervous wreck if they load up on junk, or or eat to much.Does anyone else have these same anxieties?? It's the worst for me in the evening, I am just always sure one of them will be sick during the night.If one of them even looks funny (to me) before bed, I am wide awake with every noise during the night, just wondering, waiting, stressing our over them v****ing.This is every single night, it's consuming my life.When they are at a friend's for a sleepover I sleep fully dressed with the phone by the bed, anxiously awaiting a call that one of them got sick.I try to avoid sleepovers alltogether because of this.

For example, tonight they are at a baseball game with my husband, about 30 min. away.I'm so nervous that they are eating junk & getting over-excited & wound up, which will cause them to be sick in the car on the way home, or in bed during the night.I won't sleep well tonight, from the anxiety of waiting to hear them being sick.

I don't know what this stems from.One of my sons does v**** more than normal - he has reflux & gets motion sick - so in his 12 years so far we've had numerous v**** incidents, they average about once every 2-3 months.I'm fine once he's actually sick, I can handle seeing it, hearing it, wearing it, and cleaning it up.It's the beforehand that has me a ball of nerves - the anxiery of not knowing when or where.

Can anyone relate??

I can't personally relate- but I do know that emet varies incredibly from
    person-person.

On this site there is a bit of everything- for example- most people's main
    fear is themselves v*ing, or others v*ing for fear they may catch it....
    whereas my main issue is others v*ing, doesn't matter who, but anyone
    else. I now also fear myself v*ing but the fear of others v*ing, or myself
    getting d* is probably greater than my fear of myself....

I would say you do have emet- just in a very specific form, that's fine, it
    is very subjective.

Anyway, welcome to the site, I'm Felicity. I hope you can find it useful.

Hello.
    I'd say I can relate to bits of your story, I do worry when the children I coach gymnastics, or my nieces and nephews etc. eat too much, and then excercise, or eat too much junk and I worry that they'll be sick.

I find myself saying 'guys, please stop eating, and dont jump there you've just eaten, and you're so full you'll be s*' but mainly because I cant deal with it if they are ACTUALLY s*, I run away. I can see, hear, smell or anything- thts whne my anxiety kicks in.

I think you do have emet, like Felicity said - its very specific, but I think it is. I hope you can find some useful stories and help here, like i am doing.

Love. x
    Love, Peace and Champagne

I can sorta relate. I have MAJOR anxiety/worry that my daughter will v*.My emet is mostly of OTHERS around me V*ing (though I HATE doing it myself, and very rarely DO it... and when I feel nauseous I get anxious and sometimes freak out pretty bad if I think it's a bug or FP or something... If I know its JUST anxiety and nerves I know I can control the n* and not "let myself" v* so it's not so scary).

However, you were saying that you are fine with seeing, hearing, smelling V* - I AM NOT THAT BRAVE AT ALL!! That's my main fear. And another reason why when *I* am the one that V*s Its not as scary to me b/c I can have more control over the situation. I don't think of myself as a control freak, but maybe I am a bit of one in some senses... and that is maybe partially what drives my phobia... the fact that V* is such an uncontrollable thing (especially with kids)... and I never know when or where it might happen & that freaks me the hell out!![img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

I don't keep bowls and baggies everywhere "in case" but it is CONSTANTLY in my mind that my daughter might v* at any time and I have a constant mild-anxiety daily over it. Anytime anyone around me v*s (even if I don't see it or have to deal w/ "it" in a direct way) I get MAJOR anxiety that me or one of my family members will catch whatever it is & end up v*'ing too.

The one time my daughter did V (she's only 2) was in her bed & ever since that time, I have not slept well at all. We still have the baby monitor in her room & every time I hear her move I get a little surge of anxiety run through me for a few minutes. I'm terrified of waking up to the sounds of her v*ing. I also have a 4 mo old who sleeps in our room (not our bed, but our room - for now) so he also contributes to my lack of sleep at the moment, but I DO lose a lot of sleep b/c the thought of waking up to hearing someone v*ing plagues me as I am trying to fall asleep.

*~ Sarah (35) ~*
    Emet-Mama to:
    Ashlee (5.5 yrs), Lex (4yrs) & Drake (1 yr)

Tarapada,
    It's impossible to diagnose someone over the internet, but it sounds to me like you have OCD or obsessive-compulsive disorder. You may not clean constantly, wash your hands constantly, or do rituals or supersitious things, but in some form it sounds similar. There is VERY GOOD treatment available for this, and I would suggest that for your children's sake you go and find it. At the very least, buy the book "Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by E. Bourne and work through the exercises. The first thing to do is to train your body to relax and cope with anxious feelings better. Then get rid of those bowls and stop asking your kids if they're ok all the time. You may very well start a dangerous anxiety disorder happening in your kids by doing this.

All anxiety disorders are similar, whether it be OCD or emetophobia or whatever. And the treatment is the same - so it doesn't matter what you call it. But go talk to a professional about it and start working on it if you can. My website (link below in my signature line) has some helpful information for finding and choosing a good therapist.

All the best!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories & for the encouragement. Sage - I have other OCDs, and have been treated for one thorugh talk therapy, hypnotherapy & with meds - unfortunatley none of which worked.I guess that's why I'm reluctant to seek help for this quirk of mine.I will check out your links, and all the other info on this site!