Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hey~

I'm a sophomore at college living with three other girls in an apartment. I feel like I have been doing pretty well coping with the emetophobia until today. One of my roomates has a boyfriend who is constantly over here. Today he was laying on the couch and kept saying he wasn't feeling well. Apparently he felt like he was going to v*. He didn't yet, thankfully, but I have a problem with the fact that she knows about my phobia and still allows him to be sick here. I know I will have to cope with it if any of my roomates ever get sick, but I don't feel that it is right for me to have to put up with him being sick when he doesn't even live here. Does anyone have any advice of what I should do?

Thanks!

Ooohhhh.... I can certainly imagine how you'd feel. To tell you the truth, I probably would get rather cranky about that, esp. if the roommate knew about your phobia. Aparently she's not thinking about you right now, and is thinking/concerned about her boyfriend. When someone in my house was sick when I was still living with my parents, (my parents are divorced, so I always had another house I could go to) I'd just say that I really couldn't afford to get sick, I was too busy, so I was going to leave and go to my Dad's. Now I'm thinking that the opposite would work for you... ask your roommate to go with her boyfriend over to his place so she can take care of him there. I'm sure he'd be way more comfy in his own bed instead of on a couch. How rude tho to go and pollute someone else's apartment with germs, but I guess non emets don't even think of stuff like that. Hope I've helped you some. Good luck with this.... it's one of the reasons I never lived on campus and only lived with my boyfriend in college.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I would be pissed too, especially since she knows your situation. I would pull her aside and tell her how you feel about what's going on and what's going through your head. Tell her your sorry, but you're not comofrtable with the situations. If she has a thread of common decensy, she'll understand and move elsewhere. Tell her you'd owe her big time...in my experience, people usually respond to that. lol

Good luck!

hey, it might be that she isnt just being inconsiderate to you with the rfact u have a phobia -- but mayub its slipped her mind. cud be quite offensive as well, but my friends have often just "forgot" that i hav a phobia -- which in a way is good because we're people, not phobias.

so maybe if u were to just express ur concern to her, she will understand totally and it wont happen agen.

Jen xxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People generally don't understand how serious a fear is to someone. I would talk to her and ask if she is afraid of anything (snakes, heights, etc). Most people don't understand my fear unless they can relate it their own feelings of fear. If she is afraid of snakes, would it be okay to talk about buying a snake, or letting a friend bring their pet snake over? No.

If she doesn't reason with you or this ever happens again I have a little suggestion. When someone in my household feels sick to their stomach and I cannot avoid them completely I wear headphones and play my favorite music. I even worn headphones to bed when I sleep so I won't hear anything.

Good luck.

Carly