Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: my god

i had a panic attack because i drank a lot of cola and it felt like i was going to t*u* and while i was panicking i did something stupid ..utterly stupid..i grabed a scissor and just carved a line in my leg..The panick is gone now and my leg is hurting like hell ..i dont know how im going to explain this to my parents tomorow..i dont know why i did that ..what is wrong with me ..except the stupid emet ?

sounds like you did something to make your brain focus on pain rather than nausea. It's not a healthy way of coping.

I know it's hard to think rationally when you are in a panic attack, but try to do something that distracts your brain another way - such as deep breathing, a cross word puzzle, playing the wii, listening to music, etc. It will help.

Self harming is never a good idea.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

well if you don't wanna tell the the truth, just say you fell or scraped it on a coffee table or something. if they don't know you're emet, then this wouldn't be a wise segway into that conversation.

lying can be hard, but it's probably the best in that kinda situation. i know how it can be when you just want to get rid of a panic attack.

next time really try to practice self control with that.. use other methods of calming down before(if ever) you start using distraction pain, and then only do stuff that won't leave marks like pinching.
    You begin saving the world by saving one person at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics.

Do not cut.
    Next time you have a panic attack. use the method the doctors use to induce pain in some-one to see if they are comatose.. or dead. take a pen and put it on top of your thumbnail near the finger
    have someone push your nail into the side of the pen. It hurts like all hell if you have someone decently strong.
    Life is a wonderful ride.

i dont know if you saw my posts a couple weeks ago but i too have a problem with doing things like this! i dig my nails into my back, neck, arm, wherever i feel at the time or scratch myself until it breaks skin and bleeds. yes, it does help at the time, but when the panic attack goes away and you see what you have done to yourself its one of the hardest things to deal with! TRY TRY not to do things like this, i myself am trying to stop, i havent done it in about a week and feel pretty good about it, but then again, its easy not to do when your not having terrible panic attacks. the best thing to do is take it day by day, and like the other said, when you feel the urge to do something like that try doing something different that may take the pain away. i still have marks and scabs from the last time i did it a few weeks ago, and everytime i see them it sends me into this feeling of worthlessness and depression, so please try to do ANYTHING but this bc once it starts as a regular coping mechanism, its hard to stop. and you will be in the position i am in right now, and its not easy to quit.

Aww this post makes me sad. I have been in that situation many times before. Allthough I never would have considered myself a cutter I have done it in the past and still feel like I WAT to do it.

When panic attacks are so strong they are somewhat hypnotizing. It is like we seach for anything to make those intense feelings go away. But when left alone the panic will pass.

I allways play my gameboy when I feel an attack coming on. That seems to help me. Or I clean or something to keep my mind off of it.

Do not cut yourself again. It isn't worth it. allthough I totally understand the desire to do it. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by becca_adele
    well if you don't wanna tell the the truth, just say you fell or scraped it on a coffee table or something. if they don't know you're emet, then this wouldn't be a wise segway into that conversation.

lying can be hard, but it's probably the best in that kinda situation. i know how it can be when you just want to get rid of a panic attack.

next time really try to practice self control with that.. use other methods of calming down before(if ever) you start using distraction pain, and then only do stuff that won't leave marks like pinching.
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this. Lying about what happened is not a good idea, it just gives you an excuse to do it again. While its tempting to do, it's also a form of denial of the problem. I think it's the worst thing you can do in this situation.

Your best bet is to fess up to what you did, then maybe your parents will see that you do have a serious problem (emet) and you need help to start coping the right way.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Next time you feel like doing it and you are having a panic attack, just scream.

It works every time for me.

I was getting onto the freeway one day and the panic started to overcome me..I was freaking out because even if I wanted to, I could just stop and pull over! I HATE feeling stuck like that..especially when I feel it in traffic.Anyways, I screamed and it went away.

thank you guys..im not going to lie because my parents need to know that my emetophobis id getting worse.now..im afraid to eat ..this sucks ..

i don't want to start cutting myself

I agree with Babydoll, don't lie about it.
    If you lie- then it becomes more of a habit.

Trust me, my "just trying it once" of scratching myself with scissors has led to 4 years of self harm getting progressively worse, and blah blah blah you know the old story. Put it this way, I cleaned my room this week, and I had to spend part of my time scrubbing the carpet clean....

My point is, I know what you feel, it is a coping mechanism, but it's a very very bad one.

I also don't believe you should do anything else to induce pain, like snapping an elastic band or anything, because whilst it might help, it's sending you off down the same road.

I really hope you can find a way to get through panic attacks without self harming. Good luck.
    "if the good lord had intended us to walk, he never would've invented rollerskates"

I def agree with the others....I'm glad you aren't going to lie to your parents. Is there anyone you can talk to who can help give you some coping tools so you can be prepared for future panic attacks? When we panic, we all have our own coping mechanisms, good or bad. I went through therapy and now when I start to panic-I feel like I know several ways to get through it without harming myself. It has really helped me not feel like such a freak!

ive actually tried to committ suicide because of overwhelming n* the first time i had to get 8 stitches and the second time the doc said i just nicked the vein having to get 12 stitches. you really shouldnt cut. i have two hideous scars and regret it greatly....it never helps to tell people about my emet because they are always like "yeah, i dont like to v* either" they dont understand, its not that i just dont like to v*,its literally terrifying and i would rather die then v* I HATE THIS!!! i want it gone.....it really depresses me.......sorry... i had to get that out....ive been emetophobic for 12 years...... its really wearing on my life...
    NE WAYS....DONT CUT.......the blood loss can actually make it worse...
    "It is the child that sees the primordial secret in nature and it is the child of ourselves we return to. The child with-in us is simple and daring enough to live the secret."

afraid213 i know..i've been emetophobic as long as i remember and im 20 now..it's so bad..it ruines my life, my social life..god...its like a curse

I can totally relate. Not in the same extreme way, but I've had similar thoughts and it's horrible:| I'm hoping to get a therapist referral this summer when I go see my doctor so hopefully I can beat this thing

good luck to you though, I know you can make it through!

Quote Originally Posted by jwavrek
    Do not cut.
    Next time you have a panic attack. use the method the doctors use to induce pain in some-one to see if they are comatose.. or dead. take a pen and put it on top of your thumbnail near the finger
    have someone push your nail into the side of the pen. It hurts like all hell if you have someone decently strong.
    i dotn think this is a good idea at all, i am a self harmer and doing that would just not work very well, i know its hard as im the same when i panic i tend to have to do it as it makes your mind focus elsewhere, but dont its awful when you start you find it so hard to stop, the thing your meant to do is put elastic bands on your wrist and ping them when you feel you need to cut... it does help a lot!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Abbey's right! The elastic band thing is rather good!
    "if the good lord had intended us to walk, he never would've invented rollerskates"