Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I read a few of the other topics posted here about wisdom teeth removal, but I still have some unanswered questions. I'm 19 years old and I need to make an appointment to have mine removed because they are impacted and they are becoming more and more painful. I am completely mortified about the surgery. However, I am much more afraid of v*g than I am about the pain. I have never had any type of surgery before so I do not know how I will respond to the anesthesia or the pain medications. My mother and my exboyfriend both experienced v*g when they had their wisdom teeth taken out, and they were not sensitive enough to keep the details about it from me. I am also really worried about the pain medication as well as the antibiotics. The last few times I had to take antibiotics, I felt n*, and one of them did make me v*. I have been completely traumatized from taking most medications because of this. I have been emet my whole life and I feel like I am unable to function properly because I feel so distressed about this whole situation. I am hoping that someone here will be able to give me some support.

make sure that your oral surgeon knows about your fear. they will do anything to make sure you are comfortable. just ask for anti-emetics in your IV and they will give them to you. when i woke up, i didn't feel n* at all and not once did i v*. i knew i swallowed a lot of blood but i never ever v*! as far as the pain meds, just make sure that you have some kind of food in your stomach, even something like pudding or jello because otherwise they will make you feel s*. always take them on time too, because if you don't, the pain will start and you'll have to suffer with it until the meds kick in. they will make you sleepy so just take the meds with food, put an ice pack back on your face and try to sleep.

also, the gauze that you have to keep packed into your mouth can make you gag a little, i just wet mine before it put it in so it was smaller, not to mention the cold really helped my gums feel better. don't eat or drink anything hot because it will make the bleeding worse.

trust me, you will be fine. you'll just feel really tired when you wake up, just make sure they will be giving you anti-emetics and you'll be fine. i stopped bleeding completely about 26 hours after the surgery, and within 48 hours i was eating semi-solids again!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

oh, and if they give you a little plastic water pick thing, make sure you clean out the holes after you eat until they close over. just use warm water with a tiny bit of salt (or, if they don't give you a water pick, put half a cup of salt water in your mouth and just jiggle your head back and forth, DO NOT SWISH IT AROUND, IT CAN DISLODGE THE CLOTS WHICH IS PAINFUL!). your stitches will come out on their own, don't pull on them, that hurts too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.