Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

This post is gonna be long-winded, so if you're not into reading long paragraphs, I guess it'd be best if you stopped now.

I first started experiencing emetophobia, along with other emotional problems, when I was about 11 years old. With lots of support from therapists, family, and doctors, I was able to overcome my anxiety and lead a relatively normal life. I don't get sick to my stomach very often, so I'm lucky in that sense.

Now I am 17 years old, and this past year has been very stressful for both me and my family. Like many people in the US right now, my parents and I are moving out of town in order to save money. I've always lived in my current house so needless to say this whole ordeal is very hard on me.

My emetophobia has returned with a vengeance -- it's affecting most of my life at the moment. Several months ago, I was in the emergency room due to my worst fear being realized: I caught a stomach virus and reached a point where I could not stop vomiting and I could not retain foods or liquids. Ever since then, my anxiety has transferred straight to my stomach, even causing me to vomit occasionally, which frightens me because I had never vomited out of anxiety in the past. I do take medication to help with the anxiety, but as long as I'm an emetophobe, I fear I may need that medication for a long time.

I decided to look for a site like this today because I had a major panic attack this morning. I vomited a couple of times and because of my emetophobia, I was reluctant to eat or even drink. Eventually, with the help of both anti-nausea and anti-anxiety medication, I started drinking gatorade in order to rehydrate myself, and in turn, calm myself down. What's so painful about this phobia is that I know it's so silly and it really hurts my parents...I hate to worry them, especially with what's going on right now. Most of all, I hate doing this to myself! It's a cycle: become nervous, stomach acts up, become more nervous because of stomach acting up, etc etc. It's a pretty tough cycle to break.

I apologize for the immense amount of text, but I have a long history with this phobia. I'm hoping that there are some people here who can relate somewhat and make suggestions for me (I'm already seeing a therapist who I'm very close with, however).

Thanks in advance.

I am very sorry you are going through such a hard time currently. It is good you are seeking professional help which was a big part of me becoming an ex-emit. One thing you really need to do is eat healthy. Not eating will only make matters worse. You really need, no - have to drink - every day. Not drinking puts you at risk for dehydration. Try focusing your mind on other things right after eating. Things you love. Can you eat and drink while listing to music or something? (I know it sounds silly. [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img] ) Anything to get your mind occupied. I know it is hard but you are risking your health and safety. You can beat this! [img]smileys/smilies_13.gif[/img]

It's nice to meet you and I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time. Life changes put my emet in overdrive too. I'm sure you'll find lots of support on this website and it sounds like you're already doing good things to help yourself. Keep a positive attitude....there's always someone on here if you need to chat. Good luck!

I hope everything turns out well for you! I'm moving soon due to the economy as well

These forums are VERY supportive, and filled with people who are willing to help. I'm sure you'll find the encouragement you need here. Good luck with your move, and kicking the anxiety.

Welcome to the site. I hope you gets lots of support and information here as well. Check out my website (link below) for more info as well.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.