Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I was at my friend b-day party a little while ago and we were all getting ready to watch The Matrix. I had never seen it before, but I already sort of knew that there was going to be puking in it. I have some sort of a sixth-sense when it comes to movie-puking. However, to avoid the embarrasing interrogation I would have to be put through if I asked one of my not-that-close friends, I kept my mouth shut.

Of course, I asked my idiot best guy friend who had seen the movie before if there was anything "bad" in it. He knows about my phobia, and doesn't understand, but isnt a jerk about it, either. He said that nothing puke-related happened. Idiot.

We were watching the movie, and, quite suddenly, the main character started to, you know... I turned quickly away, but it was enough, and I started to quietly cry on the couch. One of my friends unfortunately heard me, and asked what was the matter. Fortunately (in a way), my bf had just broken up with me so I was able to pin it on that.

Should I tell my friends? Will they think im like a wacko? Because I have one friend who gets sick or has a stomach ache ALL THE TIME!!! I've recently been avoiding her, and shes confused and keeps calling to hang out but i make some sort of excuse. I only talk to her on facebook and i WONT touch her in any way. She even fell over once and I wouldn't help her up. Im a horrible person! Im afraid if i told them that shed get mad at me for avoiding her for such an irrational reason. (Shes hypersensitive, and I always have to stop doing something the first time she asks me to, otherwise she gets grumpy. Its a little annoying sometimes.)

Oh, and one more question. Whats, like, a SUREFIRE way to not throw up? Is there like a medication? Some sort of herbal tea? I will try ANYTHING!!!!

I've always told my friends about my phobia. I'm sure some of them think I am crazy, but I don't really care. If they can't deal with it, then they can go on their merry way.

I think mints are great for helping with n*. I always have them with me just in case. I also always have ginger ale around the house.

That sounds like an awful night, you poor thing! But you're carrying around so much unnecessary stress by trying to keep your phobia a secret.

Maybe I'm just chilled because I KNOW I am a whacko for other reasons that the emet, but I don't care if my friends think I'm nutty or that it's a weird phobia. Everybody has odd quirks or things that make them weird to other people. Try presenting it as an interesting fact about yourself, rather than a nail in the coffin, you know?

I've been there, with the pukeyfriend bit. One night I was staying over at her house, rather impromptu (one of those "Oh gosh, it's late, wanna crash here?" sort of deals), and she said she felt iffy. Alarm bells. But then she ate a huge plate of some frozen dinner crap, and felt worse. She went to bed WITH A BOWL just in case she had to v*. I huddled, miserably tense and fighting panic, at the end of the bed for several hours, then just couldn't handle it anymore.

I got in my car and drove to my mother's house (they lived in the same town, and I lived over an hour's drive away), and slept in her driveway until her husband got up for work around 5am. My friend was soooo confused when she got up! This all happened before I'd found this site, and I didn't even realize what I had was a real phobia, so I didn't know how to explain it.

It's gotten easier for me to extricate myself from situations like that since then, and coming to this site helped me take control of my phobia a LOT. Just acknowledging to myself that it IS a phobia has helped me to accept and present it to other people in a logical manner. If they think I'm weird, so be it-- I know I'm weird. :-)
    Normalcy is merely indicative of a lack of courage.

Quote Originally Posted by lyntess
    She went to bed WITH A BOWL just in case she had to v*. I huddled, miserably tense and fighting panic, at the end of the bed for several hours, then just couldn't handle it anymore.
    My best friend a while ago did that when she was staying over at my house! She was sort of, well, evil, and she had insisted that she eat some of our sesame chicken even though she knew that it didn't agree with her and that I was petrified of puking. EVIL!!!

Maybe you need to reevaluate your friends.
    Normalcy is merely indicative of a lack of courage.

Last time I asked my friend to screen a film for v**** he intentionally tricked me into watch a film with tons of it. (Then he loled.) Thankfully I have gotten over my phobia, although I am still pissed at how people sometimes treated me when I had it.
    Sorry to hear about you experience, this post may help you:
    http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=18868&P N=2

oh my god, teh folder! if one of my friends did that intentionally i would never speak to them again! you must be really patient with people! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

hate to reply AGAIN...
    but teh folder, what movie was it? just for future reference XP

The film was called Larry the Cable Guy Health Inspector. I was either patient or stupid. I like the word patient. =P The same guy tried to get me to watch Jackass 2, but I had already seen Jackass on TV. I knew that film contained very graphic scenes. Some people just don’t understand phobias.

I was also fooled by that scene... [img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

I would tell your friends, to an extent. I wouldn't let them know how serious it is, just that you really really don't like it.
    When you\'re young the world\'s a ferris wheel.
    I know we will grow old, it is lovely still.