Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: suck it up?

i have a feeling that i have the answer to solving my emet- plain and simple courage.

recently i've been doing some exposure therapy(non formal). eating out, going to malls and shops, touching things i would never touch (door handles, knobs, shoes, cash etc...), hanging out with my friends and not freaking out etc...

i think i've gotten a little better at it, but the worry is still there. i can only do so much without the "what if's" kicking in

i was wondering if anyone on here is recovered, how much their emet still effects them, and how they beat it.

any help?
    You begin saving the world by saving one person at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics.

That is a really good way of attempting it I think.

I'm actually doing much better with mine now than say a year ago, I still have blips, but overall, much better emet wise.

What ifs you can deal with, just deal with them one at a time, employ my old favourite method, step by step. Deal with every tiny worry in isolation. It really helps. I know personally whenever I feel crappy, I think of everything else bad, of the future, thinking nothing will ever be better etc. I don't know if you're the same, but it makes me feel like what I'm doing is futile. By forcing yourself to concentrate on only the event you're currently facing, it improves your state of mind, and in turn, you can deal with it better.

Also, just take tiny exposure steps, so it's not a big issue at a time.

Ok I'm getting too excited, can you tell I love my step by step life philosophy!?

I gradually have felt better, telling myself I can take little risks, like today, I had to get on a train home. I told myself I didn't need to worry about being on a crowded train, and I let myself use the pole to pull myslef up onto the train and washed my hands once I was home, the alternative was fall down the massive gap!

ANYWAY. I'm doing my usual and getting waaaay off the point. Sorry! Good luck, I'm sure since you have the motivation (half the battle) that you'll be all goooood!! [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    "if the good lord had intended us to walk, he never would've invented rollerskates"

Yes, I believe that courage is the key. At least for me. When I am scared away by something (feeling sick and nervous) I always make myself continue. For instance, I almost always feel a bit n* when I eat out, sometimes even severely. But I never leave, I always make myself stay, and get through it. Sometimes I dont eat much, but at least the phobia didnt run me out of there, so I feel like that is a good thing. I always try to stop and think when i am afraid. If I can take a few moments to really think about it and not immediately react, I can sometimes feel better, but if not I refuse to let it win, and i ride the feeling out. I am hoping that if I can keep that mindset, that it will get better and better. It really hasnt so far, but a girl has to try, right?

--kim

Hi Becca,

I'm recovered, and my story is found here on the "Experiences" section - in "Stories of being cured" or something like that. It's probably also on my website at www.emetophobiahelp.blogspot.com

You've totally got the idea - just keep doing the things that you were afraid of, and your brain will start to "tell itself" a new story...that these things aren't dangerous after all.

Good luck!
    Sage
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.