Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello.

I don't know if this topic may scare anyone or anything (it is not graphic stuff or anything, but I'm not sure if this may still bother someone reading this, so... just saying in advance... I realize it might), but...

So, I don't know if this may sound kind of weird or something, but I am kind of concerned about becoming n* or v* in an earthquake or something. I live in California, so I'm in a seismically active region that could have a large earthquake. I know I should be more concerned about the safety in my house and stuff like that, and I am concerned about that, but I am also quite afraid that prolonged motion in a large earthquake here could make me sick or something. I haven't gotten n* at all from smaller earthquakes that I've felt here, but I just don't know what would happen with that in a larger one.

Since I am very afraid of earthquakes, as I am of v*, so I was looking for information on what could happen, as I thought maybe informing myself could help, but as I was looking up stuff, I saw reports that the last large earthquake in this area caused some to feel n* from the motion. Now, I'm not sure if these people may have been closer to the fault than I would be or not, but that really scares me. I am not prone to motion sickness, I think. Well, I haven't really been on a boat, so I don't know about that, but I haven't gotten sick from other motion-related things.

Just as there may be some that would feel sick, there are probably many others that wouldn't, right?

I don't know what the purpose of this post was...

Well, is there anyone else that worries about this as well?

-Elizabeth

I don't know much about earthquakes but my guess is if you don't get motion sick in cars, buses, planes, etc then you're unlikely to during an earthquake. They are only short lived events and motion sickness gets worse over time. I get that way in cars but it tends to take over 30min of continuous travel. Have you spoken with a therapist about both of your fears? I would be willing to bet therapists in your area deal with a lot of earthquake phobias. Try not to obsess about the two dears combined....I really don't think you'd find yourself dealing with both at once. Take care!

Hi Elizabeth-

I live in the bay area and have been through several major quakes. I think that people tend to feel sick with earthquakes because of panic more than movement. I am very prone to motion sickness because i have vertigo, but the earthquakes dont make me feel that bad, just slight movement for a little while. Like being on a docked boat, its very slight after the initial shake. Believe it or not, getting in a car can help with that, then you cant feel the movement anymore. Although it may not be too safe to drive around after a major quake.

--Kim

Thank you for the replies.

Yeah... it makes sense that it might be panic rather than the motion itself. I know many would be freaking out if a large earthquake were to occur and that can cause stomach discomfort itself. I think I have heard of some people feeling a little sick or dizzy in smaller earthquakes because they were in high rises on rollers and the buildings were just swaying, but I am not really in tall buildings, so I don't think I'd experience something like that. And I don't know... maybe they are people that are just prone to motion sickness anyway.

I haven't really checked out people that work with people that have earthquake phobias. I do go to a psychologist who says that some of her other clients fear earthquakes like I do, but she doesn't specialize in that or anything.