Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

hey,

Just wanted to share really and get some feedback.

A bit freaked out cos I just picked up a bowl cos I felt a bit sick but then felt much better after a while and put a muffin in the bowl and ate it (I know that's piggy!) but then realised it's the bowl my brother was sick into he was ill about 8 days ago with a stomach virus (definitely as family caught it) and it's been cleaned since, I just bathed but should I have a shower anyway?

I've been struggling recently- my elder brother's girlfriend vomitted in the car on the way to my cousin's wedding so I refused to get back in the car despite my little brother's protestations and walked along the side of the motorway until my dad offered to drop me off at the station so I could make my own way there (4 hour train journey with lots of transfers at 7am!).

Then both my brothers came down with a sickness virus so I escaped up to Scotland by train, but even when I got back almost a week after they were ill I'm still a bit freaked out.

Then last night I went to the cinema with my friends and one of them who was wedged in next to me was gulping, so I thought she was going to puke, the anxiety of being unable to escape if this happened made me freak out so I left and came back after the film had finished.

Have other people had similar problems?

Lyla xx

pps. what do you think shower or no shower? :-s

I wouldn't worry about the shower, since the bowl has been cleaned. I know, easier said than done If taking a shower makes you feel better go for it, but I don't think it's required.

I've had similar issues as far as the movie. Mine though, is at my own house. My bf has wet sounding snores and I always wake up worried he's going to be s*!! I'm working on getting over it, and I've been able to fight my imagination enough to stay in the bed. At least most nights I can. It's such a scary feeling, knowing that you're missing things you need (like sleep) or want (like hanging out with your friends) just because of a fear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sounds like you're having a pretty horrific weak Lyla, but I wouldn't worry too much. Chances are you've already been exposed but just aren't going to get sick.

Or, you might not be exposed to the germ even now. I'm sure a virus couldn't last eight days outside of a host, and the bowl's been washed anyway so that makes it even more improbable. We're just prone to superstition about this kind of thing. If all this happened around me I'd probably throw the bowl away, but that's just nonsensical.

I'll bet your friend at the cinema wasn't actually going to be ill. Regular people when they're sick just go to the bathroom and get it over with, because that makes them feel a lot better. Only someone who is really fearful of it would want to draw out the discomfort.

Maybe you should ask her about it anyway, see if she's an emetophobe too. It's nice to know more about your friends, it can be a way to bond.

asianeko, don't even get me started about difficulties with this thing when you're trying to sleep. Having all that time when you're trying to relax and fall asleep to just worry and think about stuff.. I know it's the toughest time for me. The only saving grace is that it forces you to practice relaxation techniques, and eventually you can just sleep through the anxious moments.

thanks guys i also get woken several times a night by noises of people in the bathroom- worrying about any watery noises/coughs in case a family member is being sick , hope you're both okay today xx

What type of stomach virus was that? Because noro doesn't usually last for so long
    It was hard but I'd do it again (c)
    Sometimes it takes a thousand tries to win (c)