Emetophobia: Fear of Vomiting
Information for Professionals
© 2006 A. S. Christie, B.A., M.Div.
Permission is granted to sufferers of emetophobia to photocopy this article to give to their doctor or therapist.
Unauthorized reproduction or publication is strictly prohibited.

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">About the Author[/B]:

I am a professionalwhospecialized in grief and crisis counseling for 20 years, and more recently in marriage, family and individualcounseling. My initial training was Rogerian, and I have done further self-directed study in Cognitive-Behavioral and Emotion-Focused methods.In June, 2006, I will havecompleted a 3-yearPost-Graduate Programat Living Systems: Research, Education and Counsellingin Vancouver, BC, Canada. I have written (published) and taught extensively (including sessional lecturing at the University - Masters level)on the topics of Leadership, Relationships and Parentingusinga combination of Living Systems and Emotional Intelligencetheories.

I suffered from emetophobia from childhood, began treatment in my late 20s, and now believe I have been completely successfully treated. My treatment involved group therapy (CBT) about 20 years ago (after which I was free from the fear of vomiting myself) and finally – since I still had a morbid fear of seeing someone else vomit – about 100 hours of individual psychotherapy (CBT-gradual exposure/EMDR). My symptoms were so severe I was at one time diagnosed with PTSD. Yet I now enjoy a life completely free from any diagnosabl