Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

We all know that anxiety makes you feel awful. Problem is, as soon as I think about eating or eat, my anxiety sky rockets. I feel like I am going to choke on my food, my stomach feels nauseous, and I can't eat enough. Even drinking is a struggle. What can I do get rid of this anxiety about eating? I am 5'7" and weigh 115 lbs. My normal weight should be around 130 to 135. Please help!
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

Hey Sweetfreak,

I wish I knew what to tell you on this one. Do you think that all this anxiety about eating is caused by your unknown stomachcondition??? Gosh, I hope the doctors find out what is wrong and are able to treat it very soon so you don't have to suffer anymore!!!!!

Again, I wish I had some words of advice or wisdom, but I'm fresh out....[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sweetfreak...

First, I'm so sorry that you are experiencing that. Just try your best to ease your mind before you eat... I don't know what else to tell you on that except you really should see a doctor.

Also, I'm 5'6 and have never weighed over 120, I'm typically between 112-118 and this is considered average weight for our height (5'5-5'8)... I've been told by many doctors that 130-135 would be a little overweight... so you really shouldn't worry there unless you start losing more.

I hope that you can at least take some comfort in that.

~Rachel
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

Sweetfreak,

Do your doctors have any problem with your weight? I'm 5'7" and I weigh 110, but my doctors think I'm healthy. I don't really have any trouble eating anymore, though, so that isn't the reason I'm so thin. My sisters are both that way and they are not emets. Anyway, my point is that your weight isn't too bad, so try not to add that to your worries. I know that when I feel pressure to eat, it is harder for me as well.

When you have anxiety, your digestive system shuts down - including the nausea and tight throat. Usually, if can force a little bit of food down, then I can tell my body "you are not in danger", and it will relax and let me eat more. Things that help facilitate this are eating yogurt or something smooth and easy, and also trying to read or watch TV while I eat to distract myself from what my body is doing. Eventually, you will need to teach yourself that eating is not dangerous so that your body does not react like it is.

Good luck!
    Soluene

If you are going through hell, keep going. -Winston Churchill

Yes, my doctors are concerned about my weight loss. They are not extremely concerned, because I do eat, but I am losing about a half a pound a week.

Thanks for advice. I will try to use it.
    It\'s all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

I use to have that problem too and my doctor suggested I see a psychologist. I use to worry about eating becasue I knew I wouldn't get sick if there wasn't anything down there. I wish I had some suggestion to help you with your situation. The only thing that worked (though not really) was the fact that my mom threatened to take away privelages until I ate. I am 5'8 and was down to 128 and apparantly that wasn't good. Don't forget that weight is just a number. Musbcle mass and bone mass all contribute to the weight you carry. So if the doctor is concerned I would do what I could to get some food in you.

Start easy and with foods you like. Fuits, yogurts, cottage cheese, Smoothies are really good especially if you can get the ones with the protiens and algae and stuff added in. Boost is a really good meal replacement so if you think you can't geta meal down you will get everything you will need in one drink that is yummy and good for you. Those were theonly things I could eat pretty much whenI was pregnant. I was so afraid of getting morning sickness.

Look at me blabbing on. blah blah blah. GL hun and I wish I had something to make it all better. You will get there. Baby steps even slow ones are a breakthrough.

Big hugs
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Sweet;

Soluene is so right - yet I know it's not easy to do. You have to take baby steps, and sometimes it will seem like 2 forward and 1 back...but you will make progress. The trick is to recognize that what you are experiencing is indeed anxiety and not sickness. Work diligently on relaxation - if you can't find a therapist to work with - get a guided relaxation tape/CD and/or a good book on anxiety and relaxation techniques. Practice them diligently like an Olympian would practice her sport (you can't just instantly get good at something!)

Eat a little, learn to relax, and talk to yourself as Soluene suggests ("I'm not in any danger" - or another reassurance that works for you). Gradually you will start to get better. The process can be speeded along with the help of a good professional, but it is still possible to have some progress without one.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.