Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

I was wondering whether anyone feels like their emetophobia is making it difficult to go out? Does emetophobia morph into agoraphobia?

I've had emet for around 25 years. Off and on I've had difficulty going outside. Sometimes I'd feel panicky, other times I'd be fine. Lately, however, going out has become a major issue. Sometimes just getting ready to leave the house will trigger the anxiety. the scent of the perfume or deodorant or make-up I use will set it off because my body knows these things mean "leaving".

Staying in is not an option. I have a young child and I take her out almost everyday to parks, library, classes,etc. Plus my regular errands. But they've been so difficult to do these days! A few months ago on my way to the library, I had to turn around and come home. The panic/n* was so bad. I had to lie to my daughter and tell her we'd forgotten a book that needed to be returned. This has only happened once;normally I just keep walking but it's very hard.

My summer has been ruined by this, and considering it usually worsens in fall/winter, I'm not hopeful about the near future.

Has anyone here ever become a shut-in because of this? Did you get over it?

Oh yes, i was housebound for a while. And there was a time I didnt even wanna leave my room. Things like paying my bills, or just getting food were so difficult for me. Didnt wanna see friends, or anybody. It got so bad that i was having panic attacks daily, nightly, wasnt eating, wasnt sleeping.. it was absolutley terrible.
    It took me about 10 tries to go to the doctor, Everytime i would have a severe panic attack and go home. When i finally went i was diagnosed with GAD. Generalized anxiety disorder. I was prescribed Cipralex, which is escitalopram, an SSRI anti-depressant. I've been on it almost 3 months now, and i can tell you its been a long time since i've felt this good. I go out pretty much everyday and i've been able to do things i couldn't imagine doing before. I've not had a panic attack in 2 months. It took 2 months for it to really kick in, but i see SUCH a change, it has been totally worth it and im SO glad i took that plunge and decided to take these. I pretty much have my normal life back. Or getting there anyways. Its a work in progress and i intend to get myself into therapy, this has been a stepping stone for me to get back on track.

My suggestion is to see a doctor, before it gets worse. There are many options out there. You do not have to suffer like this!
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.