Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi. Im new to the forum and have suffered with emetophobia properly for about 3 years after going through stress and developing IBS. I'm better than I was with eating habits and things but still can't stand the thought of me being s*** or watching anyone else.It realy freaks me out.
    Anyway I was sat down watching tv the other night with my hubby when a horrific advert came on for condoms showing a girl being s*** in reverse. Anyone else seen this from the UK? I immediatly jumped up and refused to watch tv for the rest of the night incase the advert came on. Yesterday I complained to Ofcom for advertising about the advert saying that I felt it was too graphic and there was no warning, it just launched straight in to it. Anyway I got an email back saying that it was my phobia and they wouldn't stop broadcasting it (even though I felt it was way too graphic) because I had emetophobia. So now I have to not watch adverts after the 9pm watershed.

I was wondering if anyone else had seen this?

YES! I agree, I hate that advert- I'm not particularly bothered by s* on tv- but it still's not nice and scared me a bit.

Maybe we need to get all the UK emet's to complain and maybe we'll get heard!
    Although, having said that, the adverts (there are 2 versions- only 1 has v*) actually makes a really good point....

Welcome to the forum by the way! Felicity.Edited by: xxglitterxx
    "if the good lord had intended us to walk, he never would've invented rollerskates"

Welcome! I actually think it's a great commercial (I had to look it up). Good luck getting it off the air, as it's your government's idea for it to be there.
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

Oh. I'm glad they dont show that commerical here!

I reallllly hate that advert, first time i saw it I was so
    freaked out it was awful... now I avoid ads :P

Did it work at all? Did it make you want to use a condom?
    \"Don\'t mistake innocence for ignorance. Don\'t mistake purity for inexperience. Don\'t mistake humility for weakness.\"

I understand the importance of shock tactics and the message that they are trying to convey. I certainly think in the UK it is a very important message with the rise of unwanted and teenge pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases. However, I feel that this has gone too far with the explicit images. It may be a personal view but the problem I have is that the graphic images come straight away and I find it very distressing when I'm sitting there relaxing after a hard day at work. We all know that our Government is full of these shock tactics but don't actually address the real problems. Even my husband was alarmed by it and he doesn't suffer from emetephobia.

All this advert makes me want to do is not watch adverts, not use a condom!

No I haven't seen it thank goodness, so thanks for the warning - so how does it start? and is there sound too? And what channel was it?

I'm really not keen at all on v* scenes on TV, sometimes i can see them and sometimes not, it depends on my general anxiety levels at the time which emet-wise at the moment is not good so that would definitely shake me up and leav eme feeling unsettle for the rest of the night.

Guess we'll be watching alot of BBC for the next few weeks then?!

Hi paulinek.

I think it was on channel 4 plus 1. It was half way through Ugly Betty. It starts with a woman with her head down the toilet and it's really weird because ii is in slow motion and in reverse if you get what I mean but really graphic. It's kind of paused on that and at the start there is no sound. I looked away and hid and my husband told me that it gets worse and more graphic and that the whole thing is in reverse bck to when she is having unprotected sex.

It was just a shock. I hate seeing it on tv and am usually really good at looking away at the exact points but this came out of the blue.

Oh great, it had to be channel 4 didn't it, they kept running an ad for their Film4 channel a while back that showed you the v* scene from trainspotting and i could never remember how it started as only really paid attention when that bit came on so it always caught me out [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

So, if i see someone with their head down the loo i will be sure to look away really fast! Yes you can normally tell when someone is about to v* on TV as they look n* first so you get warning but how on earth are you supposed to avoid it going backwards?!

hmm i havent seen this - it sounds horrid! maybe all the UK emets here should lodge a complaint with ofcom - that will teach them!

i used to hate those drinking ads on bilboards - with the units written in vomit. it was so disusting. and the ad where the girl is getting ready to go out in reverse, shes sick in that and its a bit yuck.

Ugh, totally agree, awful advert. I think ofcom should have been more sympathetic in their response.

Has anyone seen the government advert to stop us bringe drinking? The 'you wouldn't start a night like this' one? Where the girl is sick then you see it all in her hair and that? Its horrible. What is it with our government and vomit adverts?!!

Eww sounds icky!

I love the use of shock tactics and using things that are controversial to get a point across, but something like v* isn't the way to go. I wouldn't watch the channel at all! Try contacting the individual stations telling them you won't be viewing their programs until you're positive you and your family won't have to see the commercial. If enough people do that they'll start fighting it.

On a similar note, there is a New Zealand billboard that is about driving safe when it rains. It's a picture of a young boy, and when it starts to rain it looks like he's bleeding all over his face. It's a shocker but it gets the point across, and it's been proven to work.
    (See it here http://www.geekologie.com/2009/07/gr...lboards_bleed_ when.php)

But showing something like v* I think is gross and tasteless. And even if it's just on after 9. How many people get home from work around then and are watching tv and eating Dinner?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by asianeko
    And even if it's just on after 9. How many people get home from work around then and are watching tv and eating Dinner?
    Exactly, i quite often have my tea late at the weekend and seeing it would be bad enough but if i had a plate of food on my knee i think that would just be the last straw. Surely even non-emets don't like looking at v* - what on earth is that obsession all about with TV, they don't go showing people having d* so why v*? hmphh.

yeah ur right pauline, they dont show people crapping their pants on the alton towers adverts do they! - why emphasise vomiting on the drinking ads? and condom ads??! im guessing its something to do with pregnancy, having not seen it.

Hello Helbel. I hope all is well in jolly old england. Sadly, I don't think the U.S. is that much better off than the U.K. with our fascination with v*m*t. Shows like Jackass, Fear Factor, and many movies can't seem to get enough of it (see the film list on the left side of this very website for examples). However, I can't say I have seen too many commercials depicting graphic images of v*m*t.

I also hate it when there is no warning when someone is about to throw up. For example, there is a shock-documentary called "supersize me" about the health risks of eating too much Mcdonald's food. The guy eats too much and almost without warning opens the car window and spews all over the place! And to add insult to injury, the camera panned over the puddle of v*m*t for a few seconds! Yuck! And of course the guy was all macho about it and treated it as if it were no big deal. Scenes like that always freak me out because I am afraid the sick images will make me throw up.

Sigh.

Take care,

Darrin

Hi emetophobicmale. I know what you mean. I haven't seen super size me for that very reason as I was sure there would been scenes like that, and now you ha proved me right. I also avoid Jackass but did see the film a few years back when it didn't afect me that badly. I don't think I'm going to be s*** when I see stuff like that but it properly freaks me out and I usually hide or run away. We have a tv programme over here called Hollyoaks and a few years ago it seemed like every episode had someon T******* u* in it. Saw Bruno the other week and managed to see what was coming and hid, it was all over quickly and I don't think you say anything graphic.

What does v***t have to do with condoms? I want to see this, but then - nah I don't. =P

I think they are promoting condoms to avoid pregnancy, which can cause morning sickness That's the link there.

You may find these links helpful!

Unfortunately, they are showing v in commercials in the US, too. Yesterday I was watching my local NBC affiliate, and a preview a for a show called "Mercy" (another one of the 10,000 medical-themed shows)came on. There are two nurses tending to a patient in bed-one nurse gives him too much morphine, and the other gives the man, who is passed out, something to counteract it. The man bolts up in bed, and immediately proceeds to v* on the first nurse.
    You actually see the v**...and the sound is awful!

Disgusting! I will NOT be watching this show!!!

That sounds horrible
    I am glad they dont have it here but we have in the US (in NY anyway) these nasty ads for stop smoking where they show some graphic things such has a rotten lung or people with half their faces rotting off ... during the day too!!! How terrible is that? When kids are there to watch too.

I havent seen them in a while though I think they stop them thankfully

complaining is a good way of getting ads off, just need a lot of it though
    "Tub of body latex, $22.00. Tub of gold pigment, $6.00. Watching your friend get naked, covered with gold paint, and then jogging until he passes out...Priceless."

Helbel - Hollyoaks is the WORST soap for v* scenes! I saw a programme a few years ago (can't remember if it was about Hollyoaks or soaps in general) and they showed a compilation of all the v* scenes!! Apparently they use Heinz vegetable soup. I've never had it since.

no I didn't see it....thank God though

I don't mind seeing it on TV but it is still nasty..and what does it have to do with condoms anyway????
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

Oh my god i saw it a while back and just sat there in shock. totally ruined whatever i was watching, i cant remember what it was. didn't watch Tv for a while...

Thing is, when they want to show the negative aspects of drinking, OBVIOUSLY they'll show v*. So whenever i see anything that mentions alcohol come on i leave the room.

B x

Default Re: Anyone frm the UK seen that horrid advert

Bad advertising is a one-way ticket to product failure. Crafting ads that align with modern trends and resonate with the audience's interests is very important. Whether it's https://depositphotos.com/photos/beef-brisket.html"]beef brisket images[/URL] or other trends, syncing with your audience increases the odds of success.
    Last edited by Robbie A Carlson; 12-13-2023 at 02:52 PM.