Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi all - I was just curious to know if anyone has actually been cured of emet? I have seen a therapist who talked me though desensitisation(sp?) and also cognitive behaviour therapy but then said I needed to go it alone. So now I am doing nothing and it is coming up to the season for all sorts of virus's etc and I have just put my daughter into daycare for a few hours a week and I have noticed myself becoming very anxious again.

I feel like it can never be dealt with but was hoping that some people are now ok, albeit not thrilled, with the idea of v??

Sorry, I can't say that I have been cured because I haven't, but one of our wonderful moderators, Sage has If she was here she'd tell you to go to the Treatments section. Good luck! Edited by: wing
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I did hypnotherapy once, and it didn't cure me, but it did make it less intense. Even if I feel sick, I don't have a complete panic attack about it every single time although it still scares me.

Hey thanks Wing...

Ya ...ME!!.... And yes....go to the Treatments thread and read the sticky posts at the top.

Also on th eExperiences thread is my story at the top - sticky post (also of some others "cured of emetophobia"
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Katie- Other than Sage, I'm sure there are many people who consider themselves 'cured' of this phobia, or have reduced it to the extent that it's not a main focus in their life.

....but since it isn't a problem anymore, I doubt they would come here very often! Sage is great because she still comes to the site and answers questions and gives reassurance that it can be done.

If yougo to the treatment forum, perhaps you can be pursuaded to take you doc up on his original suggestions. It does take a lot of work, as there is no easy and fast cure, but exposure therapy and CBT can definitely put you on the right track. This is not one of those things that will go away on its own.

....and welcome to the board!

*amber*Edited by: crimgoddess

Katie, there are several stories of people being cured, including a professional journal article, on my site: http://faq.emetophobia.net

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Thankyou all so much for your comments and ideas. Whilst I don't expect it to be "cured" I would, like others, prefer it to not rule my life. I would love to be able to put my daughter into child care and not panic that she will get sick. I would like to be able to come home from work without a sick feeling in my stomach that she may be unwell (despite no evidence at all!).

I will slowly build up the courage to go through the treatments page and use this for the desensitisation and hopefully it will help. I will also try to stay in touch with the forum as it does help to not feel so "weird" when you know lots of others feel the same.

ya thanks guys - I was in a hurry when I posted. Of course....lots of people are successfully treated for emetophobia all the time. I talk to other therapists now and access other therapist's discussion formus, etc. There's always people treating people for emet. And if it's done well, it's successful. Sometimes hanging out on this site for a long time gives one the mistaken impression that it's not possible cuz people who are better don't come here! lol.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.