Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant. I was
    finally at the point where I talked myself into thinking that I
    would be lucky enough to not get morning sickness.

All that "thinking" was blown right out of the water today.

I have a co-worker who is pregnant. The passed few days
    she has called out due to morning sickness. I saw her
    today and she told me that she was v** all day monday
    tuesday and wednesday!!!! Then she started again almost
    right in front of me. She has it really bad and now I am in
    panic mode all over again about morning sickness.

I have been waiting a really long time to try and get
    pregnant, all I have ever wanted was to be a mom. And
    now this terrible phobia almost has me thinking twice about
    it.

I dont know what to do to get my anxiety, nerves, and fear
    through this.

Please help me. I am seriously distraught over what to do
    with it.

[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    ~Domenica~

Faith...Hope...Love

Have you gotten any therapy? If not that may help you get more control over your anxiety and panic. What about meds? Many antidepressants and antianxiety drugs are safe during pregnancy. You can't predict morning sickness but v*ing all day or even at all isn't that common. There are good antiemetics you can take while pregnant too. Get some help so this phobia doesn't spoil your dreams. Good luck!

Actually, my Dr. did send me to therapy cause I did not want
    medications. Im definitely not a huge pill person. But I went
    to the therapist 3 times, and just didnt like what was going on.
    I just felt like it was not going to get anywhere. So, I stopped
    going.

Thank you for your response! Its nice to know that it is not a
    given to v** when pregnant.
    ~Domenica~

Faith...Hope...Love

some times therapy does not seem like it is helping. It is hard, i think, to
    explain this to anyone.

My mother does not like meds and has looked into acupuncture. I do not
    know if you can do it if your are pregnant.

Best of luck and look around for help

best of luck to you

i was always exactly like you...i love kids but i never wanted to get preg bc of ms*....that is until i got pregnant unexpectedly and had to deal with it whether i liked it or not. and no, not all ppl have ms*, and usually not emets. i had it for a couple months [i hated taking pills too] but my doctor ended up giving me phenegran [however you spell it] and it went away completely! also i deff WOULDNT compare ms* to v* from something like a sv* or fp* bc its nothing at all like that! its not that violent and its usually only when you have an empty stomach that it happens, but dont put off having a child when you dont know if it will happen. i promise you i would do it again and again....with ms* 24/7 if it meant having my daughter, when you hold your little one those days of ms* months ago are a distant memory! i know you can do it =) dont let emet make life decisions for you.....ESPECIALLY if it means not doing something you want to!!

GOOD LUCK =)Edited by: ankitchens

ankitchens...Thank you so much. I need to keep your
    around...lol..what you said gave me some hope. Just by
    knowing that v** with morning sickness isnt the same as it is
    with the sv*. That is the worst!! And just knowing that you
    have been through it, and would do it all over again is great.
    When you had morning sickness did it make you v*? I am
    sooo obsessed with it especially afger my co-worker
    yesterday. It seriously freaked me out. She looked
    TERRIBLE.

BTW...your baby is adorable!!!
    ~Domenica~

Faith...Hope...Love

this may be kind of graphic...when i would have ms* i would only v* if i had an empty stomach, then you would only v* foam like stuff so i didnt really consider it to be v*...or once when i had overeaten and thats the only time it was like normal v* but i was full wayyy before i stopped eating, so that was my fault! just make sure you eat a lot of small meals throughout the day and eat a few crackers before you get out of bed and you should do great =)
    if im being honest, hadnt i gotten pregnant on accident theres NO WAY i would have ever had a child, even tho i love kids and have always wanted a baby. my mind told me everything was gonna be much harder than it really was so i deff think you should go for it =)
    and thanks girl!!

I am in a very similar boat. We have been trying to get pregnant for over a year with no luck (see my post about contraception woes). But, every month when I get my period, along with feeling utter disappointment and sadness, I think I also feel a little relief because I am so scared of being pregnant. I have never wanted something so much and been so scared of it at the same time! PM me if you ever need to talk! I am right there with ya!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Please calm down. What your co-worker may have is something called hyperemesis. It is very rare. This is when the morning sickness causes extreme v**. Agan this is rare. The rememdy is usually hospitalization with IV's.

Okay now to the majority of the female population.When I was pregnant with my first, my ob/gyn told me that 40% of all pregnant women have no ms. The other 60% can have mild to severe with less than 1% experiencing severe.

Like you, I was scared to death but ventured out and did four times. (I lost two pregnancies and have two children.)

Anyway, like ankitches said, she only got sick if she had a empty stomach. The first three months of my pregnancies I was miserably n*, but food ALWAYS helped. I ate like a well.... lets not go there but how do you say "I'll have big salad, with shrimp salad on top, put cole slaw on that with Russian dressing on the very top. Oh and don't forget the chips?" This is something I never ate before or after. By the 13th week I was back to normal. I got Zofran and used seabands and was great. It is worth it, do it and don't think about your co-worker.

Stella

another thing that really helped me were the preggie pops! you can get them in lots of different flavors and i would keep them in my purse in case i ever forgot my pills or needed something to kick in quicker!! [the ginger ones worked the best for me]Edited by: ankitchens

Yes, certainly don't take what happened to your coworker as the general rule...everybody truly is different...and there ARE ways to combat it if you do get it. Not to worry...having your dream of a family should be the first priority.

I've had two children and I didn't have morning sickness with either of them, though I did get n* if I left my stomach empty for too long. My mum, sister and aunts never had it either. It definitely isn't a given.

Ginger in any form helped with the n* which passed after three months, and I have a pregnant friend who highly recommends seabands!

I agree with Andee - don't let this get in the way of your dream of having a family. Good luck!

Hey I am 4 months pregnant and have been soooo n* but never actually god s* I just held it in pretty much. I have pills too just in case. So there is a lot of different things you can do

morning sickness varies depending on the woman, i know that my mom had extreme n* with me but absolutely no v*

but her best friend had some pretty nasty v* with 2 of her 6 kids

so what im saying is that every woman is different and i really dont think u should be rethinking wanting to be a mom over a few weeks of discomfort! think about it: you have someone to love, raise and cherish for the rest of your life and u had to endure morning sickness (and i measure the importance of things like this, "will u remember this when ur 80?" - HELL NO!) or you can choose not to have that wonderful experience, but, hey, at least you didnt t* u*!

its your decision, but i would just hate to see another emet loose a great opportunity over a small drawback.

and just for the record, u and ur husband r a very attractive couple. it would b criminal for u to not have kids [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Our situations seem very alike Have you tried talking to your husband about how you feel at all? It is DEFINITELY helpful to have your spouse as a support. I've told my husband exactly how I feel, and he has helped tremendously by just being there to talk to me and calm my fears.

Also, have you spoken to any friends/family members who've had easy pregnancies? One of my close friends just had twins, and was just "a little queasy" when she smelled certain foods but had nothing else. Apparently, my mom, aunts and grandmothers had very little to no morning sickness. It is very reassuring to hear good pregnancy stories!!!

Finally, take comfort in knowing that you are most definitely not alone. I started therapy last week, and my evaluator told me that I am a "carbon copy" of so many people she's seen recently (" a woman of childbearing age with emetophobia"), and that a case like mine was NOT uncommon at all. Know that no matter what happens, you'll always have a supportive spouse, friends and family to help you through. Best of luck!!!

you can get a special pregnancy anti emetic. go to your doctor and tell them your trying to get pregnant and your worried about morning sickness and you want something for it when it happens. two of my friends had bad morning sickness until they got the anti emetic and were great after and had no more morning sickness
    Im selfish, impatient and a little insecure I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle But if you can\'t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don\'t deserve me at my best

ankitchens: I really hope that I am thinking it is
    going to be much harder than it really is. You saying that it
    was easier than you thought makes me feel better! Cause
    before a person goes through something like that...our
    minds come up with all kinds of preconceived notions
    about...and mine about pregnancy and MS are all
    negative!! I want to experience pregnancy sooo bad....just
    without the MS. I can handle nausea...but thats where my
    will power stops. lol. I have heard of the preggie pops, and
    I am going to get those. There are also other "pops" called
    B-Natals that we sell where I work. (at a pharmacy) They
    are over the counter and packed with vitamin B-6. I will
    also probably stock up on anything ginger too. haha.
    Better prepared than not.

harmonygirl72: I have the SAME exact feeling.
    Sadness and relief. Though we have only been actually
    trying for maybe 2 months. Today I took one of those
    over the counter fertility tests that look like pregnancy
    tests. They test the amounts of fsh in your body. There
    are supposed to be pretty effective. Have you tried those?
    If you ever need to talk Im also here! I have msn, yahoo,
    and google chat. If you have those let me know and I can
    PM you with the screen name.

stella9: I hear that a lot that there is more nausea
    with an empty belly....but thats what I dont understand.
    My co worker eats well balance meals and snacks and then
    gets sick. Thats what is so worrysome for me...she seems
    to be doing everything the "right way" and is still horribly
    sick. Its so scary for me.

nausea_hater: You are right...I should not let my
    phobia stand in the way of my dreams. And I wont...Its
    just that I need to seriously calm down over it. I think that
    even if I dont get MS that my brain will take over and just
    make me sick. Hearing everything that everyone is saying
    though is super helpful. I can handle discomfort, just not
    v*. And I wouldnt want to turn criminal by not having any
    Thank you so much for that compliment!! Very sweet!!

antiv03: Yes I have talked to my husband about
    it...but he doesnt get it. And I really dont expect him too.
    Its very hard for him or anyone else around me to
    understand what I go through day to day mentally and
    physically. I do know that my mother had no morning
    sickness with me or my brother...and my grandma had no
    morning sickness with any 3 of her children. Hopefully MS
    is more genetic than anything!! If it is...then I should be in
    the clear.

Thank you all for your posts....everything you guys say is
    so reassuring and comforting...thank goodness for this
    site!!! If it wasnt for this site...I would still be holding all
    my thoughts and worries to myself..and that is nooo fun at
    all. blah....

Thank you!!!
    ~Domenica~

Faith...Hope...Love

Yep, I use the ovulation predictor kits!

I have msn, Yahoo, and google chat, too! Let me know your name and I'd love to chat!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I had three kids and got MS with all of them but never *v* I took meds and also got all the gadgets like that bracelet for sea sickness it helped also mints helped too. But when i was preg i didn't have this fear...i still didn't like to *V*. but no you don't always *V* when you are pregnant. having kids is the best thing. I agree you will forget it!! heck i had three kids!! so you will. just wait until you see that little face looking back at you!! it is priceless [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

Dear Dominica, not everyone gets morning sickness. I had two pregnancies and never had any. My daughter has three and only had it once with the last one. We ordered pregnancy morning sickness suckers. Worked fantastic. Then you can keep them around for the occasional queasyness or flu time. Don't worry...just enjoy your pregnancy and baby.