Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I'm just curious to know if anyone here struggles on a daily basis with having emet and whether or not if affects your work life? Personally I've never had a full-time job before, I've mostly studied since leaving school on and off and the most hours I've ever had in a week was 20 - so not a great deal of time to worry about emet. Thing is, this has to change next year and I'm quite anxious as to how I'll cope with 'bad' days and having to work [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I have had a hard time working in the past. What has also been hard
    for me is that I work in a bank like setting with the bullet proof
    windows etc... so basically I work with a lot of nasty dirty money. I
    got noro the first year of employment there. That was awful. I also
    got sick a lot the first year.

What was the hardest is that at night we are unable to go outside the
    teller line and windows so many times I would feel n* and could
    never go outside or leave, So I felt trapped however my
    responsibility was to close the store down and be responsible for two
    other tellers in the evening so it was hard but some how it I did it. If
    it got too bad I would take a lil bit of a xanax to relax me and the
    anxiety or sip some water.

Then driving home was sometimes hard, even harder than having to
    work some days. I have however been with my company for 6 years
    but they are aware of my anxiety. Not my phobia but my anxiety. So
    they are pretty helpful!
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

I have been at my job for almost 8 years and I work in a large office. I definitely struggle at times, especially in the winter when sickness is going around. I also will not use the public restrooms for fear that someone will have to v* while I am in there. Thankfully there are 2 single stall private restrooms (they are actually only for men because there is so many more woman that work there) but I still use it when I have to use the restroom. About 2 years ago I got my own office so I think that helps that I can close out the germs from the rest of the employees. I still go thru a bottle of hand sanatizer every 2-3 weeks and I spray all the surfaces with Lysol every week. I haven't caught any bugs yet (knock on wood) so I think my rituals help.

ugh aren't the public stahl restrooms the worst Foley9278!? I once
    worked in a very large call center so thats all there was were three
    stahl restrooms, it was totally awful one day someone did get s* and v*
    in a stahl next to me!! what was wierd is at that time my phobia was not
    at its worst yet so even though it freaked me out, I amazingly made
    through the rest of my shift without panicking too bad.
    \"Dance like no one is watching, Love like you will never be hurt, Sing like no one is listening, Live like heaven on earth!\" Mark Twain

In the past i have found it very difficult to work - i used to work in travel agencies so sitting in close proximity to the germy, sorry general, public all the time,i used to cope by permanently having a mint wedged in the side of my mouth and wearing travel sickness wristbands, but sometimes it would all become too much and i'd just run out and go home, and i felt such a fraudster because as soon as i got home i felt absolutely fine again [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

I once worked in london which was about an hours commute on the bus, train and tube from where i lived at the time and that was hell on earth - i think half the times i ran out of that job were because i'd got stressed out on the journey in then would sit worrying about how i was going to manage on the journey home. In the end i couldn't even use the tube, i set off an hour earlier and would catch a bus from the station to my work, and always stood near the open bit at the back ready to jump off at a moments notice!

Things improved when i moved to Jersey (a little island) and got a job in a nice agency, where i was sitting by the door and was only a few minutes walk from my house - it was bliss, plus they were dead laid back about nipping out to the shop or the bank, so if i ever felt panicky i'd just say i was popping out for a drink and no-one ever knew.

I'm now back in England and ironically working in a job (reception) where i'm not allowed to leave my desk because i have to monitor the entrance barriers and be here for the phone, and that does unsettle me sometimes if my tum feels off because i have to ring for someone to come and cover before i can go anywhere, and i also have to share my desk with colleagues who cover my breaks and nighttime security but I spray the whole lot down a few times a day with Dettol. I've got big sliding windows next to me and it's pretty grounds outside with squirrels and rabbits and nature helps me feel calm, i also live only 15 mins away in the car - so i think apart from being calmer anyway than when i was younger the 2 main things for me to be ok at work are 1) to live nearby 2) to work in comfortable surroundings on the ground floor with access to fresh air (i.e i couldn't work in a call centre or somewhere really "trapped")

I think like that too. I've completely ruled out working in the city which is about 40 minutes by train. It's not *too* bad because I know a lot of people use it everyday and never get s*. I think it's more what if I were to panic on a crowded train? No fun [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] So I'm hoping to just work locally and part-time for a while and gradually work my way into full-time. I guess it's just all about feeling comfortable where you work. I'm planning to study to become a dental assistant which constantly freaks me out because of the germs etc (although I know everything is sterile and you wear gloves and a mask) but I sort of worry how I would cope.

Public restrooms are the worst! I actually work at a call center Kristin and that is why I am soooo scared of them now. This girl at work was pregnant and she used to v* all the time and that's why I hate to use them. The only time I will use one is if my friends go with me and are in the other stalls and if someone else goes in there I always rush out. I've practically knocked over one of my friends one time!

I'm not an emet that is freaked out about germs unless I'm around someone I know has been sick at their stomach or has a household member sick. So that part of being at work doesn't bother me.

My problem at work is that I don't want anyone to know that I have the problem and that I get panic attacks. And when I feel sick at my stomach I can't stand to be around people or talk to anyone. So that's where I have the most problem. Sometimes people think I'm rude or mad at them because I'm not talking.

Luckily I'm a salaried employee and I have a great boss. If I get to feeling bad, I just go out to my car for a while to calm down. I just tell him that I need to get away from my desk for a while, and he is fine with it. I usually work more than 40 hours a week anyway, so he doesn't get upset if I'm not chained to my desk all day.

The absolute worst, though, is going out on business lunches or long business meetings that I can't leave in the middle of. I get so nervous because I'm afraid I'll feel sick and won't be able to get away. When I know one of these is coming up, I take an extra Xanax to get through it.

It has affected my career choices, that's for sure. I used to want to be a teacher. I would've loved to be a kindergarten or elementary school teacher, but I'm so scared of the v*. I know kids don't just v* all the time, but it happens, and the possibility of that happening, and having to act calmly and still take command of the class even if it does happen...it just seems too much for me. I would be very shaken up (understatement) if that did happen in my classroom, and I feel that I wouldn't be able to take care of the kids and do my job after, or even look at the kid who v* the same way again. Whenever someone got sick when I was in school, the teacher always remained calm, and comforted the sick kid, sometimes even leading him/her to the nurse's office or even cleaning "it" up, and I don't think I can do that. I would probably want to bolt out of the room. How professional, right?

I'm also afraid of taking a translating job in a hospital as a Spanish/English translator for the possibility of encountering a patient who is going to v*, or who has the stomach bug. I know I wouldn't be treating them, just translating for them, but still, being in a hospital/doctor's office environment like that makes me very nervous.

*~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was a receptionist at an animal hospital for 6 years. We were a super busy hospital and the only bathroom in the whole place was right next to the reception area. We could hear everything that happened in that bathroom. It stressed me out so much, especially when I didn't know why they were sick. When my bulemic co-worker was in there it wasn't nearly as bad as other people.
    I always had mints in my mouth,too!
    I've only worked part-time though. I don't know if I could manage working full time.

Aww, Neha, that makes me so sad! If I can be an elementary teacher, you surely can! It's not too late!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Quote Originally Posted by harmonygirl72
    Aww, Neha, that makes me so sad! If I can be an elementary teacher, you surely can! It's not too late!
    Awwww, thanks Mary!!! But I don't think I have nearly as much patience as you do!!! I think it takes A WHOLE LOT to work with kids so young, especially so many all at the same time, and I don't know if I have what it takes!!!

I've applied to something called "Writers in the Schools" where they put writers in schools that are not in the best of areas, to try and spread the love of reading and writing. I'd be working part-time, once a week, 4-6 hours teaching writing. I applied for it this fall, but they said they want me on their spring roster, because they had an overload of applicants this year. So I requested a middle school or high school classroom, because I didn't think I could deal with the little ones...I'm still kind of scared about that. But we'll see what happens this spring.
    *~NEHA~*
    Smile & God Bless!!!
    The Only Thing We Have To Fear Is Fear Itself- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Awesome! Good luck! Keep me posted!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Yes, it does. I work in healthcare as a lab technician/phlebotomist. When people are sick doctors want lab results..so I have to draw their blood. Sometimes I think about changing my career because of my emetophobia. However, in some strange way I feel like it also keeps me a step ahead of stomach flus going around in my community. If I have a confirmation of a stomach flu going around I think that I can prepare for it by becoming even more compulsive about preventative measures(hand washing, immune support etc.)

I'm a dog groomer, so I mostly interact with pets. I'm not bothered when they t*u* since it's usually stress and isn't really human-like in sound or appearance. Interacting with people is usually okay, until I hear them talking about being sick or whatnot. Thankfully, we have lots of sanitizers and places to wash our hands in the salon

Currently we have two pregnant girls, and one who has a stomach problem that can make her ill at any time. THANKFULLY they all make it to the bathroom, and I think I'm ok cuz I know it's not contagious. It was definately a leap forward to know I'm ok with them being sick, and I told them all off the bat how nervous it made me. I think it went like this:
    "Hey guys, I'm terrified of v*. So like, if I see you or hear you do it, I'll probably just go cry in a corner for a bit, then treat you like a leper for the rest of the day. I don't hate you, I've just that scared "
    It let them know my fears and was accepted with a laugh, so it wasn't a too serious thing. If a girl is ill in the back, the others tell me not to go back there for a while, and scope it out to make sure she's done before I go. They take good care of me They're all on anti emetics now, and I think I was the most thankful of all of them!!

What I think I hate the most is when coworkers come in and say their kids have been ill, something is going around daycare, etc etc. But I've never caught anything from them (knock on wood) and so far it's all been good.

Overall, I don't really have a problem with work. The good FAR outweighs the bad, I love getting to play with puppies, make matted dogs feel free again, and give skunky stinky dogs the clean smell they deserve Edited by: asianeko

You may find these links helpful!

Yes, I struggle with working. Actually, right now I am staying at home while my husband is working. I'm lucky he's doing so well because in the past that would not be possible. I would love to get a good paying job where I could be respected but feel unthreatened by sickness. People don't respect someone who is afraid of a little sickness.
    To God be the Glory!

Yes I had to quit my jobs. In fact I don't work. I'm hoping to find an at home job. I cannot go out and find a job because none of my bosses will understand.