Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am a senior in high school, and my whole life I have suffered from Emetophobia. Last year in school, I would feel like I wanted to throw up...but I knew nothing was in my stomach TO be thrown up. During ALL of summer...I was fine. This year in government (first period), I feel the same way. I tell myself to calm down and am okay until I think about throwing up again (which is only a minute later or so.) It is ONLY in this class that I feel this way! I have done experiments and it has NOTHING to do with what I drink or eat. I cannot keep going to class like this. I'm going to fail from not being able to pay attention because I am so damn frightened I will throw up. Even if I feel a little air bubble in my belly and need to burp, I jump to conclusions that I'm going to throw up, and I begin to go into a panic attack. I really don't want to take medicines for it unless absolutely needed. Please help...I'm so sick of feeling like this. : ( I want to have a great senior year and pass this class.

I sort of understand where you are coming from. I luckily never suffered much in highschool with emetophobia, it was only afterwards. It still affected me though when I went to study. I somehow got through it and you can aswell. One thing that DOES help is to ask yourself WHY do you feel sick? is it from anxiety, hungry, indigestion perhaps? I know being nervous can make a lot of people feel sick. You say it only happens in your first class - do you have any idea why? is it because you sort of relax afterwards and think - hey I got through it, I'll be OK. Also, despite how horrible you might feel during class it is extremely unlikely that you'll actually throw up..unless you are genuinely sick. Something I do when I feel sick (I suffer from anxiety attacks in public) is to sip some water or chew some gum or have a breath mint. It sort of distracts you and gives you something else to focus on.

Join the club!!!! we all do...it does get better i promise it may not feel that way but it does [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] anxiety can make you feel sick. meds help!!!! talk to a thearpist or your doctor about them...meds help us to get through the tough part. It takes the edge off. I am on Prozac. It helps with panic attacks OCD which alot of us have...and it really helps. Now it won;t take away the fear but it will help you deal with class. YOU NEED TO EAT!!! not eating makes it worse. Eat things like toast or bagles or something light in the morning.

I will pray for you [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made