Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never v*ed???

I have NEVER v*ed. Except for when I was a baby and I spit up, which I don't remember. I think this is the whole reason I'm afraid of it, because I have NO clue what it's like and I've never experienced anything like it. One of the things that scares me the most is that when I do v*, which I'm sure no matter how much I wish it won't happen, it will, that it will actually be as frightening as I imagine it is [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

I just wanted to ask if there is anyone else who never has v*ed before, because I've never met anyone who hasn't and I wanted to know if it's just me or if someone else hasn't either.

While I HAVE v*'d, I have (knock on wood) only v*'d 5 times in my entire 23 years on this planet! I v*'d twice when I was 5, once when I was 7, and twice when I was 21. There were 14 years between episodes, and in those 14 years, my emetophobia got REALLY bad...and then I v*'d when I was 21...and it wasn't NEARLY as bad as I thought it'd be. I even LAUGHED afterwards! I'm still horribly scared of others v*ing, but I know for a fact that I can handle myself v*ing...even though I'm still scared...I know that when the time comes, I'll just do it and go on with my life!

If you were to ask every emet on this site, 99% of them would tell you that it's not as bad as we all think. I'm sure that if you were to v*, you'd agree! *hug*
    Facebook: Kayla Rose Matheney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm almost 21 and have v*'d on two occasions; when I was 10 I v*'d about 5 or 6 times and then when I was 16 I v*'d while extremely drunk (which I only have a vague memory of doing). I think the worst part is definately the lead up to it, the nausea which can be awful. The actual v* itself doesn't last a long time and can make you feel a lot better once it's done.

I'm sure a lot of people haven't v*'d (or hardly) during their lives and you could easily go many years without it happening to you. I'm hoping I do! But yeah, as much as it terrifies me - the experience isn't AS bad as we all think it is.

I don't remember how many times I've vomited as a child but since turning 18, I've only vomited twice. I'm now 43. My sister only vomited once in her adult life and she is a few years older than me and had two pregnancies with no vomiting.

Shock jock Howard Stern who is in his late 50s has said more than once that he hasn't vomited since his college days and that was caused from excessive drinking not illness.

A woman I work with is in her sixties and she hasn't vomited at all in her adult life and doesn't remember ever vomiting as a child either.

Since the vomit factor is controled by the brain, it sounds plausible that some people are more or less likely to do it than others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Friend me on Facebook

How old are you clarync8? Wow, consider yourself VEEEEERY lucky. But I can understand how the unknown could frighten you, with good reason.

Thanks you guys are making me feel so much better!

I'm 17, and I know I'm soo lucky! haha

i wasnt aware that was even possible! lol.

I *think* Cloughie claims to have never vomited at least as an adult...maybe ever? She's unfortunately a rare visitor here in the last couple months.

I haven't vomited since I was 10 and that was when Barack was in junior high.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Doug, I'm so curious about that with you. You seem to have a longer streak than most members on the site, but at the same time you seem to be so level headed in your approach to this phobia.

I suppose I can't picture you spending 30+ years fighting any and all instances of vomiting.

Or have you just been "lucky"?

I've only v*ed once in my life and that was when I was in 5th grade. I will be 33 in a few days so it's been a looooong time for me.

I never have either! I am 23 AND pregnant! i Know what you mean about the unknown...I told people this when i first joined years ago! No one believed ...SO i'm gld there is another one!
    Danielle =)

[img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] So good to see that it is quite possible not to v* for decades! Just a question for those who have never/rarely ever v*'d - is it something you constantly think about? like what IF it happens? It's been 10 years for me and I am constantly worrying that anyday now my time will be up [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I definantly worry about that!
    Especially since I've never done it, so I won't know the signs of when it will happen or the difference between just n* or actually v*ing. So whenever I feel n*, i ALWAYS am thinking "it feels different this time... i know it does... it's going to happen this time..." but even though it never does happen, I always believe it's going to

I would bet the the "never V*ers" and the ones who are at least 16 and v* three times or less in their lives are likely highly resistant to norovirus and very cautious about what they eat. And that's how they pull it off.

If rats and horses can't v*, why can't there be a genetic mutation in humans that causes something similar? Just wondering...
    Facebook: Kayla Rose Matheney

Oh wow, wouldn't that be nice?

I've always wonder if i am lacking something physically that can prevent me from v*. I had food poisoning a couple of years ago...my whole family got it! I had bad d* but at one point I thought i might v*. I went to the toilet and leaned over but it's like i coughed , nothing came up, and i was fine. ...weak....but fine. My whole family on the other hand...not so much. It IS scary not knowing what its like. I'm constantly asking my husband and looking for clues on what "it" feels like. I hear that your mouth waters right before, SO everytime i get an extra saliva in my mouth..i think ITS about to happen. I know it will happen one day...I am just hoping its not as bad as i think it will be. I have been lucky, ...I had fun in college...drinking alot to much, doing stuff that would make people sick...and now I am pregnant ( five years later)... and still no v*. Lets keep it that way!
    Danielle =)

[QUOTE=cardinalgirl] I'm constantly asking my husband and looking for clues on what "it" feels like. I hear that your mouth waters right before, SO everytime i get an extra saliva in my mouth..i think ITS about to happen.[QUOTE]

i do that exact same thing! EVERYTIME im n* i swallow constantly to make my mouth completely dry so i won't think my mouth is watering
    and i definantly ask people about the signs of when it's going to happen. one friend of mind said 'right before it happens you feel so n* you think you might die!!!' which of course terrified me...

Quote Originally Posted by jkl81
    I would bet the the "never V*ers" and the ones who are at least 16 and v* three times or less in their lives are likely highly resistant to norovirus and very cautious about what they eat. And that's how they pull it off.
    that's true for me. my brother is the complete opposite of me, he gets sv*s all the time, and always ends up getting my parents sick too. i've never even gotten sick with d* from it.

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalgirl
    I hear that your mouth waters right before,
    Apparently it does yes, (not that I have any concious recollection of it but hey)

the watering thing comes under 'H' in 'PHRE'

I just thought I'd mention PHRE incase anyone doesn't know it, but apparently its like the symptoms/ lead up to v*

Pallor
    Hypersalivation
    Retch
    Expulsion

Maybe if you were actually being s* running through the steps like a checklist might feel like you were in more control?

Anyway, hopefully someone finds it useful

x

I know a person, by the name of Tom. So we got to talking.. he said he had just got over a horrible sv* like the worst one he ever had. so I asked.. "did you v*?" the answer was no. and we got to talking. Tom never v*s, He never has in memory. A sv* is a extremely bad upset stomach. (n* and d*) but no v*ing.
    Life is a wonderful ride.

Honestly, I only remeber ever V* a couple of times while I was a kid. I am now 24 and the last time I V*d was when I was 8 years old! I am so deathly terrified of v*ing because I havent done it in so many years and I dont know what to expect. I dont even know what triggered my phobia. I think my Dad suffers from this to an extent because I cant recall ever seeing my Dad get sick or my mom. But my Dad cant be around someone who is V* Or he will faint! I really want to overcome this BUT...its just so scary for me! All my friends that I have spoken with tell me its really not as awful as I make it out to be...but who knows!? I dont wanna find out!

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalgirl
    I've always wonder if i am lacking something physically that can prevent me from v*. I had food poisoning a couple of years ago...my whole family got it! I had bad d* but at one point I thought i might v*. I went to the toilet and leaned over but it's like i coughed , nothing came up, and i was fine. ...weak....but fine. My whole family on the other hand...not so much. It IS scary not knowing what its like. I'm constantly asking my husband and looking for clues on what "it" feels like. I hear that your mouth waters right before, SO everytime i get an extra saliva in my mouth..i think ITS about to happen. I know it will happen one day...I am just hoping its not as bad as i think it will be. I have been lucky, ...I had fun in college...drinking alot to much, doing stuff that would make people sick...and now I am pregnant ( five years later)... and still no v*. Lets keep it that way!
    cardinalgirl, i read that u said u were pregnant. How are you handling this being emetophobic? I'm really struggling with this as I want to have a kid one day, but I am absolutely terrified of v*ing! and being nauseous! It's really prevented me from allowing this to happen. PM me!

Hannah, I just saw your question for me on this thread. I don't do constant battle with real or imagined nausea like some people on this thread. In the more than 30 years since my last puke, there have only been two instances where I am pretty sure I was on the verge of vomiting and maybe a half dozen other false alarms that I took too seriously.I guess I'm both skilled at fighting nausea and lucky.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

I have only vomited 3 times that I remember, and the last time was when i was 13. I am 40 now.

Like Doug, I dont really battle with imagined nausea. I have had the real thing probably 10 times or so, but I am able to fight it well. I try to never take any medication for nausea, because I am afraid it will not work when I need it. I figure if I have gone this long with no vomiting, I am not likely to do it now.

--Kim

I wish I could say I've never v'ed, but I have only done it 4 or 5
    times in my life, and I'm 33. The last time I v'ed, I was 8 or 9. I have
    made it through 4 pregnancies and multiple sv's with my kids w/o
    v*. I have gagged a few times in my adult life and thought I would
    v*, but I didn't! I do think it's something in the brain!

I know many people, who don't have the phobia, who haven't been sick before. Or if they have it was never because of illness. v* can be controlled by the brain. I also believe in the power of words. If you keep telling yourself you are sick, you will become sick. I know I should take my own advice but it's hard, I know! I have 2 children and they've been sick before and I never caught it. If you are safe, healthy, and positive you could continue on your no v* streak.

As for the comment about genetics and not v*ing, I have always wondered that! I am a Christian and I await the day in heaven where there is no sickness and disease! What a relief and such a wonderful carefree feeling!
    To God be the Glory!

I have gone over 20 years. And I have hardly been sick in over 20 years. I remember getting many perfect attendance awards in school. I never missed classes at uni.

Either I am a "professional" puker or I was somehow able to tap into my unconscious and turn off the "retch switch".

At any rate, it is probably debatable whether an emetophobe who never vomits but worries all the time is better or worse off than the non-emet who pukes often but doesn't make a big thing of it.

Let us try not to over-react and make "oceans" out of "puke puddles".

Darrin

[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Darrin - you sure do have a way with words "retch switch & puke puddles" Very nice indeed!!! LMAO!!

By they way, where is this retch switch you speak of? And how do I turn mine off? [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]