Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Inspiration?

I don't know what it's like for people who have to work, but I can say school sure sucks with emet. Especially a new school.
    But anyway, I just wanted to post this message, coz I know it sucks and its hard, but sometimes we can surprise our selves.
    Well I just recently had to move country and I was so, so petrified. Moving countries I could handle, I've done that a few times now, but as my emet only developed late last year, I've only had short plane trips in that time, max 3 hours. And the trip to where I was moving was nearly 9 hours. I was so afraid because I knew that unlike meeting my friends, or going to assembly at school, I couldn't bail out.
    Buuut. I was so, so happy. It was one of the most dificult emet obstacles I've ever had to face- I had anti-nauseas, my ipod or the TV headphones in pretty much the whole time, I didn't eat, and at one stage during the 'sleep-time' (it was a night flight) I spent most of 2 hours drifting in and out of a light sleep and mind-consuming panic, shivering violently the whole time, because I thought the boy behind me was being s***. (and he wasn't even, he was ordering a chocolate... as I later discovered)
    But I still did it, and I wanted to remind everyone that sometimes we can get through things, even though they're tough. And it's important to remember to acknowledge the milestones.
    Goodluck and love to everybody,
    Alex

I did not start suffering from Emetophobia until i was around 13. Well that was when i had my first panic attack conected to vomiting. I am now 27 and every aspect of my life is controlled by this phobia. I have two little girls one is at school which at the moment is absolutely hell for me. I am frightend that i will have to go and collect her because she has been sick at school or she will come home with a tummy bug and pass it on to me and my baby. i have developed ocd because of it, i can not go anywhere without carrying antibactirial hand gel with me to clean mine and my childrens hands constantly.

im on three lots of medication to help me contol my fear and manage my panic attacks, Citalopram, Propranalol and diazipam. Back in August last year i was refered to my local mental health team for initial cbt treatment and was put on a witing list for a full time CBT therapist. Whilst waiting i had meetings with a trainee therapist and prescribed a 12 week course of CCBT called Fearfighter.

Initially i did extremely well and devoted all of my spare time to fearfighter and i came a very long way in a very short space of time. For example before fearfighter if my cat was sick in the kitchen i would shut myself in the sitting room and called my ex husband to come out of work to clean it up. Post fearfighter i managed to go into the kitchen and cover it up.

my worst experience and probably explains the extent of my phobia was when my baby was about 3 maybe 4 weeks old. She very suddenly began projectile vomiting every single feed for a full 5 weeks. my ex husband who is not the father of my child had to take over a month off work to care for her. I could not hold her, clean her when she was sick, my eldest daughter who at the time was 3 knew how frightened i was to go to my baby in the morning she did it, and if my baby had vomited she would wipe her face and hair. It was deffinately my lowest point.
    When she projectile vomited this particular day, it went all over my ex partners shoulder and all over the wall it was brown, i had a very severe panic attack and my ex took my baby to the hospital but left the vomit on the wall. for the whole week she was in hospital i could not go in my bedroom and if the door was open i would not go upstairs

but that is not the worse part. the worse part is when my daughter needed me and needed cuddles off me even after her op i could not go near her incase i saw her vomit. that was my lowest point ever

anyway now i am in CBT and was doing very very well until my therapist went on leave and my daughter started full time school. I cant collect her, i cant take her, cant kiss her when she comes home, it is horrible. Then my next door neighbour was sick outside her house and not cleaned it up so i have been trapped in my house for the last 4 days for fear of seeing the vomit.

I would be really greatfull to hear from anyone male or female with emetophobia, i would love to hear on how people cope with their children being at school, or how they cope when their child is sick, or anybody who has had a sucessful course of CBT. I am new to this but would love to speak to other sufferers because although it is the 5th most common phobia in the uk, i really do feel like i am the only one [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]