Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

2 years ago, when my daughter was in Primary 1, the day before they broke up for 2 weeks holidays, the boy she was sitting next to vomited beside her.I was called by the school to pick her up as she was so upset.She then paniced during the holidays that she was going to be sick and numerous times a day told us she had a sore tummy.When the time came to go back to school she was beside herself with worry and for the next 3 months had to be removed from me to go to school and was upset for most of the day in school.She then still had a fear of being sick but a helpful teacher would remove her from the situations if another child was complaining of feeling unwell.2 weeks ago, 3 children were sick in class and she has now been a bundle of nerves, shaking like a leaf and constantly complaining of a sore tummy.She has to be dragged into school and the teacher suggested I take her to a doctor.I was so releived when I found this website but have been trying to find out if it is common in young children and what can be done to help them.

I have allways been afraid of vomit and vomiting. Even as a small child when someone was sick at school I would have lots of anxiety and at times had to go to the nurse to be sent home. As I got older my fear turned into a full out phobia. It peaked when I was around 16 years old or so. I'm 32 now and have gotten much better but still have lots of fear around it.

I think it is great that you are so in tune to your daughter and realise there may be a problem. There is lots of helpfull info on this site. Also I know of a few Mom's that have posted about their kids having problems too.

I grew up as a child that has suffered from this phobia with a Mom that had the "just get over it" kind of attitude. I think it is wonderfull that you are reaching out to help her.

Good luck and welcome to the site!

I remember freaking out in primary school because someone had V* in my class. We were ushered out to art (and I remember telling the teacher I had to go home, I was crying and panicking). The teacher told me "he'll be fine" and I remember saying, "I'm not worried about HIM!"

I was worried I was contaminated.

I've always had a "germ" thing, since I could talk. My grandmother would open me a Popsicle and I would make her wash it because she touched it. I was five. I also ate MnM's with a spoon so I wouldn't have to touch them.

Yea, my parents didn't care, my mom would kind of feed my fear by saying things like "people get sick, no big deal" but it was, and they never understood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks for your kind words.Let's hope we get on Ok at the doctors and that he recognises it.