Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi, I'm a freshmen in college this year. I like in a dorm with three other
    girls in an apartment style room. We have our own kitchen, shower,
    bathroom, etc. and two rooms with two girls in each room.

I have been highly emetophobic since I was little, and being in a dorm
    and sharing a room with someone I'm not so familiar with scares me. I
    started school around 2 weeks ago and this fear has heightened
    considerably since then. I will barely eat from the cafeteria, or even eat at
    all, in fear of catching some sort of v*. I've been using hand sanitizer and
    washing my hands constantly.

We're very clean, washing things and bleaching everything down often
    and making sure our food products okay. But at the back of my mind
    everyday is the thought of catching that dreaded bug. So much that I get
    d* from my anxiety as well as coupled with homesickness.

My roommates are well aware of my fear and respect it. They say they
    don't get s* often, and none of us drink or do anything else illegal or
    anything. But how can I trust them?

Any help, suggestions?

The best advice I can give try to find a counselor that you can talk to. There is real no way we can 100% avoid sickness but with that said you are doing all that you can. Stay clean wash hands and make sure the food is cooked but really chances of Food poisioning are slim.

I know how you feel this time of year gets me too. I have three kids so they will get sick they always do.

Take care and keep it up!! I will be praying for you that you and your roomates are healhy...blessings on you!!
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

Default Re: College Student...

It sounds like they are excellent roommates! I guess a question to ask is, is there a reason why you should not trust them? That they understand and respect your phobia is awesome, you might just have to give them the benefit of the doubt, and give them a little trust in return. You hear "You have to earn trust," but sometimes I think for the sake of being friends you need to give trust initially.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi i am new to this society didnt eben now it excisteduntil a friend said to go on it. I am panacking as i am a nurse in a general hopsital that has been struck down with the winter vomititng bug all i want to do is hibernate it terrifies me, the fear is overwhelming but it is good to knwo i am not on my own , thought i was going mad .

That's great that you've talked to your roommates about it! I sometimes wish I was a little more forthcoming with my roommates. If it makes you feel any better... I survived all four years of school with roommates / dorms / cafeteria food / etc without even a stomach ache. I'm sure you can too.

The worst thing that happened was that my freshman roommate v* one night from drinking too much. But, I was able to hold myself together... luckily, my room came with a divider so I never had to see anything. I just opened the window, blocked my ears, and soon it was over and I went back to sleep. Since I knew it was from drinking, my anxiety didn't overwhelm me.

So depending on the room style and configuration, I would invest in a divider and being closest to the window :-) But that's just me.