Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Burping?

One of the events of my
    childhood that I believe triggered my emets was one time when I was in the
    bathroom I burped and immediately following it, I v'd all over myself.
    There were other things that gave me this phobia to go along with that but as a
    result of that specific instance, I've never been able to burp again. Subconsciously
    it's as if my brain said "ok burping = v'ing, so no more
    burping". It's been about 20 years since I last burped... It causes
    problems for me all the time. I get gas that I can't relieve, I've had
    heartburn issues, I get way more gas out the other end because of it, not a lot
    of fun. Are there any other emets here with this problem?</span>

it's unusal how our brain blocks out certain bodily functions like that! you probably have an inigma attatched to burping, and as you said yourself, you associate it with being sick...
    i fear burping in some respects.. well "throat burping"anyway.. You'll all be familiar with this..it's like a burp sensation in your throat.
    I did this twice before i last vomited.. but sometimes i find that this can releive my nausea.
    What you should try to remember, is burping can relieve you of your nausea.. and that trapped wind must go somewhere so let it out.
    i can appreciate how difficult this must be, because i have this type of problem facing foods i ate and then vomited..
    it's pretty much the same!

Yep, same with me. I never ever burp at all! I don't really have any heartburn trouble, though.
    -Anna

I don't have a problem with burping, but for some reason, I have a problem with swallowing. Usually, when I feel sick or I am about to be sick, I can't swallow. So, now, my mind plays tricks on me. It's hard for me to swallow sometimes. I hate it, but just try to ignore it. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] I know this wasn't much help. I just wanted to kind of let you know that everyone has their own little things that bother them. Take care.

I don't have a problem with burping either... in fact quite the opposite. But I do understand what you mean about experiences affecting us badly. I can't swallow tablets because once I swallowed a big one and I immediately gagged on it so now I just can't do it unless it's a tiny one - everything else I have to dissolve in water and add some fruit juice to try and disguise any bad taste. I'm lucky in that I only ever have to take pain killers occasionally and they come in dissolvable form but if I ever have an illness and I need to take regular medication I don't know what I'll do...

i have an issue with food "repeating" on me.. i find it highly unpleasant and steer away from ALL typers of foods which repeat on me badly, therefore i dread burping..

Dravis, we had a long post on this topic i think last week, you might wanna look it up. I had a very similar experience. I vomited after burping in the tub when i was younger, now i don't burp and im afraid of burping.

Yep, another non-burper here too. I can count on one hand how many times in my life I have had a tiny audible burp, that made me wonder why it came out...lol. All of my gas goes out the back door and that gets really uncomfortable sometimes. I won't even try to burp for fear of it bringing a friend....ick....I will keep the gas going out the other end..LOL [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by jazz
    but sometimes i find that this can releive my nausea.
    What you should try to remember, is burping can relieve you of your nausea..

Yeah, I agree totally. If I feel nausea i drink only mineral water and then i start burping and that makes me often feel really better!

When I was 12, I´ve had a bad stomach flu (bad nausea and diahorea) and wasalready sitting in front of the toilett (shaking) and my mother gave me some mineral water and said to me "Drink, than you will be get sick." I drank this water, but all what came out , was a burp [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]and then i really felt better! Hmmm....Edited by: Sun666
    Vergangenheit ist es erst, wenn es nicht mehr weh tut!