Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Last night I took my fiance to the ER cause her jaw was dislocated. I felt SOOOOOO bad because there she was in pain and I was freaking out just because I SAW a kid with an emisis basin! My girl is in SO MUCH PAIN and she's comforting me! I was almost in tears. Finally she was like, "You can go to the car." and gave me the keys. So I went out and had a cigarette and sat there in the car for about a half hour.

My fiance was called almost as soon as I came back in and we were moved to a private room. Then I kept on saying how the emisis bags were RIGHT THERE! And I was all weird and shaky. UGH! I can only think of myself when dealing with this phobia, but SHE needed taking care of, not me! She did such a good job and she really understands me (She's ever so much more understanding than my family) I just wish I didn't freak out like I did. Stupid phobia!

Hey I totally know what you went through a couple of months ago my mom was in the hospital emergency room severly ill and I was having the worst panic attack then a man came in vomitting and that put me over the edge and as sick as my mom was she told me it was ok for me to go wait in the car till he was at least gone and she would notify me on my cell when she was going to see the doctor or the man had left. I was so scared and panicked and knew that I had to go outside but I felt terrible for leaving my mother. But she was so understanding and through all of this stupid phobia has been there. I completely understand how difficult it was for you. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I had a similar experince with my ex. He had a terrible asthma attack and I had to call an ambulance. I followed the ambulance in my car to the hospital. I felt ok untill I got in the hospital. My poor boyfriend was all sick and couldn't breath. He was on the bed with one of those vomit bags. He didn't throw up but felt sick in the ambulance so they gave him one just in case. That put me right on the edge. Then every time someone just as much coughed or cleared their throat I was jumping out of my chair. I felt so bad for my bf but I was so mad at myself for being afraid. I was there to support him but all I could do was worry about my stupid fears.

Thanks for the responses. My GF thanked me the next day for going with her, and I apologized for bein such a wimp. She said, all things considered, I did a very good job. I didn't even have a full blown panic attack! I thank God every day I am with her, she completely understands me!

The last time I was in a hospital, i was sitting in the waiting area with a few other people(I was by myself) and the whole time I was freaking out because there was this sweet little girl with a v* basin.

I hate the hospital. I don't get why they don't quarantine sick people to a separate waiting room.
    You begin saving the world by saving one person at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics.

hey waxangelwings, I understand COMPLETELY how you feel -@ work several years ago my coworker needed to go to the ER and my boss asked me to take her...not only did my coworker run to the ER bathroom to v* while I was there (and needed to get a v* bag from the nurse), but I saw a miserable woman in the waiting room holding a v* bag that she had used already, which freaked me out so much. I bravely asked my coworker if she wanted me to stay with her while she waited (although I was shaking like a leaf inside), and she said no, and that I should go back to work. I felt SO relieved after she told me that - but also selfish for feeling so relieved.

It sounds like you did EVERYTHING you could to help your fiance in that circumstance - you even came back to her after a little while to take her to the private room - sounds to me like you did a GREAT job!...this phobia sucks but you were right there beside her through most of a very scary (at least I think so) situation!
    "People can't do something themselves, they want to tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period."

I remember when my mom had cancer and was dealing with chemotherapy, which meant she would get sick, but all I remember was not wanting to be near her. So I would spend it locked in my room, covering my ears, and rocking myself. At times I would even put the music so loud. I just wanted to get out of the house, but instead I stayed locked in my room.So no the idea of going to the clinic with her wasn't even an option. Honestly I would rather die then be around a sick person. However, when my dog is sick I take care of him. I find that strange.

It is definitely different with dogs. I don't like to clean up messes but I can manage if I have to.

A few years ago my grandmother was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. It took her down very quickly. I wasn't there when it happened but the chemo treatment made her very sick. (may be a bit graphic) she v* 6 feet out. My mom told me about it. I was so afraid to go see her but I did. She was in and out of a coma when I saw her and she woke up when she heard me. I managed to suck it up and stay with her until her last breath. (and during this time, my husband had left me and I was feeling really down.) I'm glad I saw her.

It sounds like your fiance is very understanding. That is wonderful to know you will always have support around. When are you getting married.
    To God be the Glory!