Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My nine month old, Taven has begun eating more solid food. Much like my daughter he has found learning to chew to be quite a chore. He often gags on the thicker pieces of food given to him.

Unlike my daughter he has not thrown up on me... yet. I am hoping to prevent it at all costs, if it should happen it does. However I was wondering if any of you when starting more solid foods with your infants ran into this problem. We give him formula to chase it down when he starts to gag and have tried giving the smallest bites possible since bigger bites were obviously not working; but to no avail.

Any advice, tips, or experiences would be most appreciated!
    Thank you,

~Sav'
    Life is so worth living.

Hi Savannah, Sorry i've no advice or tips as not something i've experienced, but i can imagine it must be a bit nerve jangling to have him gagging like that..

I'm sure some of the other mums on here will come up with some good advice for you though [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img] x

My son gagged on things with even mild spices in them, like parsley. I was VERY obsessive over what he ate then, and how big the peices were. But luckily he only v*ted once and it wasn't on me, it was on my inlaws. I think certain kids have beter gag reflexes than others. Maybe you could water down whatever your giving him. Like if it's mashed potatoes you could add a little milk? That would kind of defeat the purpose of solid food though wouldn't it?

Have you tried giving him some water to wash it down with instead of milk? Sugar water usually since most babies dont just love water. I did that because my son would strangle on apple juice ALOT.

Sorry I dont have any better advice. Hope somebody else will! Good luck!