Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I am a lurker on this site, I read a lot of comments, but don't post anything. I have found this site extremely helpful to me, to know I am not alone out there. I am totally freaking out right now. My 13 year old and 8 year old are both home this week with Influenza A....doctors said they didn't know if it was H1N1 but I am betting it is. I get so freaked out when I have to take care of them when they are sick, that my husband has to step in and do it all. Even if they are not vomiting, I am afraid they will, I am afraid I will catch something that will make me vomit. I hate being this way, sometimes I wish I would die rather than have these feelings. I haven't felt good this week, doctor took blood, said white count was off, that I have a virus. She says it probably isn't the flu because I haven't had a fever....but I have had d* and my anxiety is so out of control that I constantly think I am going to throw up. I don't eat or drink when I get this way, which makes it worse. I want to shut my mind off! I hate this!!! Help!!!

I know when I get this worked up I don't eat or drink either. I know that you love your kids but if you can just try to stay out of the house as much as possible. Also your kids aren't that young so they will probably be able to control the v*ing, If they even do. I heard that people don't really v* if they have swine flu. But if you need to don't feel bad for just stepping away from the situation.
    KEEP CALM
    and
    CARRY ON

I feel your pain i too can not eat when im so anxious,
    Im also scared stiff of this Swine fu , so is my Daughter she has athsma, Im id say almost 40 years like this, I sometimes want to give up 2 but a doctor said to me next time i feel anxious or feel sick The nausea sick keep saying to yourself This wont last and u know it dont last , i know thats not any real help , i feel your pain
    Geraldine Ireland
    geraldine xx

A virus could be anything, not just a sv. I soo know how you feel and it could make me cry just reliving last year. My husband got pnumonia and he was in the hospital. I FREAKED and lost like seven pounds in a week.

What helped me was just saying over and over, he does not have an sv, he is not throwing up... Stuff like that. Are you on any anti anxiety meds? They might help you out here.

And if your husband can take care of things at home, go out with a friend. Try and talk about it a little. Even if they dont understand your fear they can help by being so calm about things when it happens to them. You can ask them what they do when their families get sick. I did this, I dont care if I sounded crazy to her, but it helped. Just to know that mothers and wives take care of their familes all the time when they are sick, and they are fine.

Hope this helps. Hang in there. If you need a break then take one. Sending you a giant hug!

Thanks for the responses! It really does help to know I am not alone. I am freaking again today, kids were fine for about a week, now my daughter is up all night saying her ear hurts. This morning she has a fever, and says her stomach hurts, that she feels like throwing up but can't. It was my turn to stay home with her, I hate that I get so worked up and can't deal with my own child! The day drags on forever while I sit and wonder what she has, will I get it, will she get sick, sill I get sick...what a vicious cycle, why did I have to have this phobia?