Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: New Member

Hi all,

I came across this website last night and thought I should join. After my boyfriend was violently ill last night, I had my first panic attack for months and months.

For years and years I have suffered in silence. I am 30 years old and have a phobia of vomiting. My life is not as restricted as other people on this site. I love to eat different foods but don't like to drink.

I thought my phobia was bad until I read about some of the people on here. I have not been sick for over 15 years luckily. I have a mjor problem though. My boyfriend and I would like to start trying for children in the next year or so, and it is stopping me from wanting to do this- please can someone help?

Thanks

Hi, welcome :-). Sorry about your boyfriend being violently ill last night. I hope you were able to cope and it didn't traumatize you too much. There are people here with great advice that are willing to help you calm down. You don't have to suffer in silence and there's nothing to be ashamed of...though i'm still partially ashamed that my emet has gotten a little out of hand just recently, but that's life, life is not perfect. It's great to know and inspiring to know that there are people out there that are emets and are living a pretty comfortable life.

I'm just curious, have you talked to your boyfriend about your phobia yet because you said you were suffering in silence?

Anyways, if you do a pregnancy search here, you can find many emets have successfully had children here w/o throwing up once! I also read somewhere that emets generally have more willpower than non-emets against throwing up so the chances of it happening during pregnancy are very low. Also i heard that if you speak to your doctor openly about your phobia, they will be able to accommodate you with some safe anti-anxiety or anti-nausea medication, whatever they think might help you have a successful pregnancy.
    \'Meow!\' for goodness sake! Scratch, scratch, scratch. (Lightly of course)

Welcome! Glad you're looking into ways to combat this fear. I'm in the minority here being a guy, but sometimes a different point of view is good.

Hate to hear about your boyfriend being sick. I hope your anxiety has eased, and I really hope your boyfriend has found peace and comfort from his sickness!

I can agree with Furry about the willpower. Many of us have a great amount of willpower to suppress vomiting. Seeing how you've gone 15 years, you probably have this gift, too!

If you've stayed vomit-free that long, you must have some suppression ability. I have a feeling you would not have a problem with pregnancy, but once again that is something I can't experience as a guy. You may want to have some medicine on hand, but you probably will not need it.

Have you had to suppress it very often in those 15 years? I have gone more than 15 since last vomit. Here are my 2 significant episodes. Only one was a virus / bug kind of thing. The other was... well you'll see!

I had a one-day 'bug' a couple years ago that made me nauseous for a day and I was able to suppress it and even stay functional. To me it was "mild" but we had lots of folks out of work with it.

The worst trial by fire was an accidental exposure to pesticide while working near a vegetable farm. Three of us (2 normal people, and me-an emetophobe) were exosed to spray drift. It hit all 3 of us at almost the same moment. I felt it first and commented on not feeling right. They both had horrible vomiting episodes. I felt nauseous for the same lengt of time they were vomiting, but I was able to suppress it. It took all my willpower and concentration but I did it.

This gave me a sense of acomplishment, having controlled my out-of-control anxiety and focused on willing my body to calm down and allow the irritant to dissipate.

The other 2 guys did so much dry-heaving and straining they were out of commission the rest of the day. I was the only one of us that ate dinner that evening!

I know it seems strange but I felt so wonderful to have withstood that. It lifted my spirit for months afterwards.

Anyway there I go writing a long post again! Hope it gives you some courage to trust in your strength and not let this fear hold you two back from starting a family.

Respectfully,
    David