Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Acupuncture

What is acupuncture?

Acupuncture is a complex branch of ancient Chinese medicine, but its practical principles and methods are easily understood:

1. Fourteen major energy channels called meridians course through the human body including the head, arms, hands, legs, feet, torso, and internal organs.

2. A subtle energy called Chi (pronounced chee) circulates via the meridians to all parts of the body, even the most remote cells.

3. Chi is the vital force, the presence of which separates the living from the dead. Its balanced, unimpeded flow is critical to sound health.

4. Any misdirection, blockage, or other derangement of the amount, flow, or balance of Chi may result in pain, dysfunction, and ill health.

5. With acupuncture needles, or other means, the acupuncturist stimulates certain points (acupoints) along the course of the meridians. Such stimulation helps restore the normal balance and flow of Chi so organs and bodily systems can work together in harmony as needed. This sets the stage for the body to repair itself and maintain its own health.

My words: I went to two different psychotherapists. Yet one of my psychotherapists judged me and the other just wanted to charge me for talking. So I stopped going and I emailed neuroscientists, psychiatrist, universities psychology department, even a boxing trainer in search of some help, but nobody e-mailed me back. I wanted pills or something to calm my symptoms, but nobody seem to really want to help me calm them. In fact I'm even a psychology major in hope of answers for this "sickness," but my psychology professors aren't much help. Once again their advice is to seek a professional. Until one day while I googled and was in search of a sport to play I somehow was sent to this website about acupuncture. I emailed her and she immediately responded, she gave me hope because she said she could help. She didn't judge me, in fact if you talk to her she is really nice. I don't know why I found her, but for whatever reason I thank god I did. You see she didn't try to analyze my experiences, but instead her goal is to focus on the sickness. She says our body is not balanced so she tries to find the exact location where it's not balanced. Honestly I rather hear that my body is not balanced then to hear is because of an experience. It gives me hope. She also said medications just "hide" the symptoms, it doesn't cure it. I don't know what it is, but in my heart I have faith that she will help me. I've only went once and when I came out I waited until it was night time so I could lay down on top of my car and watch the stars. You see I hadn't gone out in two weeks, I hadn't seen the sun, and I hadn't even seen the stars because I was too sick. Lol and when night time came I wanted to enjoy the feeling of not feeling any symptoms except just being happy I was alive. No it's not going to be a fast process, but just knowing that if I ever have these symptoms I can just go to an acupuncturists makes me happy. Lol I guess we all have to believe in something. [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

I'm very happy for you. Believing in something is always so much more powerful than that little voice in our head that's trying to scare us.
    \'Meow!\' for goodness sake! Scratch, scratch, scratch. (Lightly of course)

I know, I really don't like that voice.

lilfirecracker,
    I just started acupuncture as well and I love it. I feel so relxed and calm afterwards. I really have hope in it too. I wish you luck! Im also going to see a homeopathic doctor who claims can help me through diet. I sure hope so.
    "This too shall pass"

I wonder if acupressure would work the same.
    To God be the Glory!

nikinlove927: Thanks, good luck to you too! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Lol and I do know what you mean about the relaxed and calm feeling. Even when I had the acupuncture being done on me I was trying to feel, but I didn't feel any symptoms just like the thought of my body relaxing. As for a homeopathic I can't say I've done it, but as long as you are comfortable with it then it's good. My acupuncturist also gives herbs and does other procedures, but since I explained my phobia to her she didn't want to make me eat or drink anything. In fact, she just said I'll be fine with just an acupuncture treatment. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

tiffclausing: I don't know if acupressure would work the same. It's acupuncture and pressure, it's a different process I would think. Acupuncture is just meant to have needles in you while you either listen to music, sleep, or just talk. Whatever you feel like doing. Mostly because the key in acupuncture is to relax you, but I don't know if they work the same.