Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: smoking

Hey all!

I have one question.

I know many emets who never smoked a cigarette, because they are afraid of getting sick then.

My whole family ever told me, (when i was pretty young emet) "If you smoke, you will get sick."

Nevertheless I started to smoke when I was 14 years old. (I got never sick due to cigarettes!) I am now 24 and smoke a lot. (sometimes almost 50 cigarettes a day)[img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I want to stop it. But it is not so easy. And I think smoking calmed down me. But thats probably my imagination.

So, how are you? Do you smoke, or maybe never done cause of getting sick!?

Jenny
    Vergangenheit ist es erst, wenn es nicht mehr weh tut!

I smoke too. Funny. I just mentioned that in another post. Anyway, I started when I was 17, and I'm 29 now. I would like to quit too, but it is SO hard. If I don't have one for awhile, I start feeling like crap. They have never calmed me down. They just make me nervous, but I'm so addicted to them. It's a very bad habit, and I wish I never started. Mel [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

Have either of you tried the patch? i think that would be the first step..try asking your doctor.

Believe it or not my parents were heavy smokers and they got hypnotises...they no longer smoke..that was like 20 years ago though.

And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

@ Kmarie: No I never tried the patch. I stoped smoking for six month last year while I was pregnant. But after the abortion, I felt really mad, it was a short time before my final examination and startet again then - unfortunatelly.

My husband has smoked for a long long time, probably 20 years or so. He's tried to quit more times than I can count, and he's tried so many things. The patch seems to work really well, because you keep getting that nicotine. It allows you to break that hand to mouth habit while decreasing the need for nicotine.

I never smoked. I want my husband to quit so badly, but it doesn't matter how much I want it, it won't work unless he wants it and it's so hard to just leave it at that....

One of the reasons I never smoked was the fact that when you smoke you destroy the protecting part of your sinuses and stuff, and in my head anyways, I think that it allows sickness in alot easier. THat may seem really stupid.

I was just thinking of this myself and wondered how many emets on here do smoke.

In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I am 25 and I have never smoked. I didn't worry that cigarettes would make me sick, though I have heard that before. I just never started.

Carly

i have almost been sick from smoking too much..
    horrible, that is a genuine nauseasfeeling.
    i find that smoking doesn't do anythnig for me, so i can make do without, i sued to smoke on a regular basis, they dont calm me down, they deaden my appetite/

I have never smoked. I use to feel sick from the second hand smoke from my parents when I was young and I feel sick now if I smell it realy close.
    The patch is wonderful. It will have the same calming effect. The mind has to be prepared to deal with it. It is a toughy to get through.
    Just don't give up.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I used to smoke, about a half a pack a day, and everytime I had an attack I'd smoke one after another, I'm proud to say that it's been 10 months since I last smoked, and I feel fantastic....absolutely great. I used the patch for about 3 months or a little less, and after that the next couple of months were a bit harder but I never gave into temptation, and now I don't even think about it anymore, and the best part....my bf smokes and he never tried to hide it from me during the tough times at the beginning because I asked him not to because I had decided in my mind that I no longer wanted to smoke, and that it actually made me feel like s***, and I also believe that my anxiety level was higher because of the smoking, so even today my bf still smokes and it doesn't even remind me that I used to smoke.

I never thought I could quit because I felt like I needed it too badly, but I did and I think it was the best decision I could ever make for myself!

Hope this helps!

Sonia

Good for you Sonia!

I know it tough to quit but you are doing it!

Carly

I've never smoked, (I'm only 13, though) but I never plan to do so. I have been told that the first time you smoke you may get sick, and although that has to do with it, it's also what it will do to your body in the long run. My grandpa smoked for a very long time, but I think about... 6 or 7? years ago, he gave up. He's had a lot of health problems, among them two heart attacks. It's a wonder he hasn't ever gotten cancer.
    -Anna

I have smoked since I was 15 and I am now 33. (although I have quit during pregnancies) I only smoke about half a pack a day. I really only "need" them after I eat and when I am socializing. I have never feared them to make me sick, but I would surely never try chew...LOL

Charlotte

I don't smoke cigarattes..I will smoke roughly one cigar every 2-3 months, it's just nice to smoke a cigar when you're having a good time with friends and relaxing.
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

I used to smoke and it never made me sick at all. But i hated it so i quit. It was disgusting really, my bf hates smoking so he hated to kiss me etc so i wanted to give up, plus i didnt want my daughter being around all the smoke. And i dont believe anyone who says they just cant give up, my nan is 64, she smoked 80 a day for 46 yrs and she suffers from mental health probs and one day she just gave up, and that was like 5 yrs ago! So i KNOW it can be done! Just tell yourself its gross! )

Sarah xxx
    I couldn\'t tell you why she felt that way... she felt it everyday and i couldn\'t help her... i just watched her make the same mistakes again...

Sarah, I believe that too (because I've quit like that), but some people have more difficulty than others. I used to smoke quite heavily and one day I just decided I'd had enough and I stopped... just like that. Even now, I can still smoke one or two then go for months on end without even thinking about it, I've never known why that is. I go through phases where I'll buy a pack, smoke them, and then stop again for a year or so. Because of my 'occasional smoking status' though, I do find that the nicotine rush that I get is increased and does sometimes make me feel really sick for a few minutes (especially in the mornings). But I never have actually been sick from smoking.

i dont smoke.

but didnt know that smoking can make u sick... hmm interesting!

Jen xxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

helsbels, yeah im like that too, i can smoke if i want hen not... not smoking doesnt bother me! Im not saying that giving up is easy i know its not, both my parents used to smoke but i know that it can be done, and its easier than some ppl make out. It is possible!

Sarah xxx
    I couldn\'t tell you why she felt that way... she felt it everyday and i couldn\'t help her... i just watched her make the same mistakes again...

I always hate when smokers cough that gagging cough and hork up those gobs of black and green goo. I get them in the store all the time and in their raspy voices ask for 1 or more packs of cigarettes. I always hated the though of gagging up those things and my husband knows that I wouldn't stand for him smoking even if he wanted to.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

50 cigs a day?!!?!? Wow! Thats a lot, must get quite expensive. I have never tried smoking before, I was always afraid of gagging and getting sick in public. I was also afraid of looking stupid. not to mention the fact that my parents would break my legs if they even remotely smelled smoke on my breath.

My boyfriend smokes and I am trying to get him to quite b/c it is so unhealthy. Did you know.....all you women, that when your signicant other smokes, toxins are stored in his genitals, they are released during ejaculation and bathe your cervix in carcinergins????!! Scarey huh? Much higher chance for cancer dating a smoker.

Good luck quitting!

Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by eyecandi512
    Did you know.....all you women, that when your signicant other smokes, toxins are stored in his genitals, they are released during ejaculation and bathe your cervix in carcinergins????!! Scarey huh? Much higher chance for cancer dating a smoker.

Yes I know this all. And I know it is really bad. There isnīt any positive thing in smoking. Why is quit smoking so hard? [img]smileys/smilies_11.gif[/img]

I have never smoked, and I'm sorry, Im about to offend a whole bunch of smokers here, but I absolutly can't stand it. If they want to pollute their lungs, thats fine, but they'll never do it in my home or around me. iT's gross, makes your clothes smell, robs you of money, and gives you a ticket to an early death.

my boyfriend smokes and I dont know what to do about it. Ive never lived with anyoen who smoked before and I understand its hard to quit, but still. ugh. sorry. lol. I'll shut up before everyone comes running at me...!

~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

oh and by the way... i thik that saying you'll ge sick from smoking may be when parents find their kids smoking, and make them smoke the whole pack at once.

or it could just mean that you'll get sick- cancer wise from it.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Smoking disgusts me and makes me sad that people are putting their health in jepordy as well as those around them (though I do realize it is an additcion and ahrd to kick..its why people start in the first place that floors me).

I was beind a lady at the grocerys tore..she had a voice box..had to hold a little device to her throat so she could talk...she picked up 3 cartons of cigs :*( SO SAD!
    And now I\'m glad I didn\'t know
    The way it all would end the way it all would go
    Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
    But I\'d of had to miss the dance
    Garth Brooks

I agree with a lot of people here...I think smoking is disgusting. You're not only killing yourself, but poulluting the enviroment, as well as the chance of second hand smoke. I would never do that. Ew. Sorry to all your smokers, after all, it is your descision, just as this is my point of veiw.