Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Vacation

So my hubby and I are leaving for Costa Rica in the morning and I'm VERY excited but, a little nervous at the same time. Wish me luck that I don't have any major panic attacks while down there as this is stepping way out of my comfort zone!

Anyone else been there? Any advice?

I haven't been to Costa Rica, but I have been on a plane recently, and—
    trust me—there is nothing to worry about! I don't suffer from motion
    sickness, but I wanted to take a pill to prevent motion sickness. I didn't
    because my mom (I'm still a minor) told that I'll be fine without it. I was
    absolutely terrified to go, but I went. I sat by a window because I believe
    that seeing out a window in a moving vehicle will counteract the motion
    sickness because it justifies that you are moving. Anyway, taking off had
    no problem, and landing had no problem. There was a few parts where
    you could feel turbulence, but it feels like riding over a rough patch in
    the asphalt. Also, there was about once or twice a feeling of an elevator
    stomach. That didn't affect me. My flight was two hours from south
    Florida to NY, NY. It was an amazing trip, and I really enjoyed myself.
    There's no reason for you not to have fun and to go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks! I don't really get motion sickness and have flown a lot so that part is probably going to be the easiest part of the trip. The rest is more of the unknown and thats what mekes me nervous! I guess that's part of the adventure though!!

Big time agree with nhernandez! Don't let this hold you back from a wonderful opportunity like this. After working your way through the airport and parking and all that by time you get on the plane you won't really be thinking about it anyway! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] The plane ride will be a releif and relaxing time to sit and chat with your seat-mates.

I'm a little scared of seasick medicine. This opinion is based on work environments with motion. A co-worker used something (can't remember the name - got it from the medic on board) and it impaired him. The scarey part was this was a work environment with many hazards. Thankfully he is very smart and realized he was impaired; and took some time out for it to wear off. His eyes were dilated and his speech was very slow.

Thanks!
    David

Wow David, that's scary what happened to your co-worker! My husband doesn't want me to take motion sickness meds either, for the same reasons you described, so we didn't buy any when shopping for our trip. Like I said, I've never gotten motion sickness so hopefully that won't be a problem. Thanks guys, I do realize that this is a great opportunity and I am going to try to enjoy every minute of it and not let my worrying and phobia ruin a great vacation!

Hi,

Me and my hubby went to Costa Rica last year.
    The only thing I would say to be careful of is the Mosquitos, they're nasty!!
    Food safety wise and hygiene wise it was fantastic, couldn't fault anything and we both suffered from no nasty viruses whatsoever.
    It's a fantastic place, have a great time x

Quote Originally Posted by mojo8
    Wow David, that's scary what happened to your co-worker! My husband doesn't want me to take motion sickness meds either, for the same reasons you described, so we didn't buy any when shopping for our trip. Like I said, I've never gotten motion sickness so hopefully that won't be a problem. Thanks guys, I do realize that this is a great opportunity and I am going to try to enjoy every minute of it and not let my worrying and phobia ruin a great vacation!
    Really airplanes are a smooth ride. The commercial jets are so large and heavy you get a nice smooth ride. It would be a one in a million chance to get motion sick.

Take plenty of pictures while you're there and post them in the off-topic section! [img]smileys/smilies_13.gif[/img]

As far as the seasick medicine at work... If you need it use it because it is better than getting seasick. The problems were my buddy took it without knowing how he reacts to it, in a hazardouos environment. Also; the company medic gives this to anyone who asks and does not mention any side effects nor ask if you have used it before. Just be cautions! I'm all about not having accidents; and staying safe!

Thanks reganstorm! You eased my worries! I am a little worried about the mosquitoes but there is only so much we can do about that....we have LOTS of bug spray! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] Turbokinetic, we do plan to take tons of pics....I'll try to post when we get back. I'm getting so excited! We are taking this trip for our 1 year anniversary and aside from our honeymoon, it's the first "real" vaction we will be taking together!

^^ i'm excited for you mojo8, you have a lot of great support here waiting for you and i hope this calms your fear as it helps calm mine too about being sick on a plane.
    \'Meow!\' for goodness sake! Scratch, scratch, scratch. (Lightly of course)