Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hello all...I am new here, and joined because I have been suffering from emet for over 6 years (but really, my entire life!) My worst fear in the universe was vomiting...and I know ya'll understand, but to the outside world, it seems so strange! I can't explain why I was terrified, but my therapist and I came to the conclusion that it was a fear of loss of control- precisely what vomiting presents. However, SUCCESS! For the first time in SIX YEARS, I was overcome with nausea last night and vomited. Horrible, yes. Scary, yes. But it didn't kill me- and was over in 30 seconds. I am a college student, and am 21 years old, and still called my parents in the middle of the night to tell them "the news." Also, I wanted the reassurance that I was, truly, okay. =] Although that was a huge hurdle that I overcame, I still fear that it will happen again! Do you ever have that fear? That once you do vomit (because, truly, at some point in everyones life, it is inevitable...) it will become commonplace? Ah! Help! And good luck to all, thank you for responding and helping me. We can help each other!

Yes I can relate! My fear is all about loss of control and humiliation. More often than not when witnessing others vomit, once they start it continues. So I fight it. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I haven't been nauseated to the point I threw up in well over 15 years.

I've posted a pretty detailed write up on how I got my irrational fear and how I defeated it, you can look in the recent posts and find it probably. If not I can locate it.

It started with gaining a better understandig of how my body works, and developing a stronger mind body connection through willpower.

With this, I know what is going on and trust my body to be somewhat predictable. Some of the scarey unknown factor is gone. Furthermore, I learned that I can suppress the urge to vomit; at least long enough to find a place away from others (and away from my fear of humiliation).

But thankfully I have only had one "bug" and one other crazy incident that I had to endure. Neither time did I throw up, and each time it was less traumatic.

Thanks for the post and hope to hear more positive stories!

Peace,
    David

Congratulations (?) on getting nauseated and throwing up. Three days later, are you still feeling like you conquered your phobia?

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey Inie, remember me? We chatted in the chat room. I'm just curious, what was the book called again that you recommended?

I'd love to chat with you about "The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook" whenever you get the chance.

\'Meow!\' for goodness sake! Scratch, scratch, scratch. (Lightly of course)