Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi,

My name is Sally and I'm currently in my third year of a Psychology degree at The University of Sheffield. My dissertation is about phobias - specifically about emetophobia, needle phobia, dental phobia, blood phobia and injury phobia - and I would be really grateful for anybody with any of those phobias who would take part in my survey. The study has been granted ethical approval from the Department of Psychology ethics committee and I am being supervised by a chartered health psychologist.

Here is the link to take part, there is more detailed information on the opening page: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...EqPYmvr7PlDPPA _3d_3d

Thanks very much, if you have any more questions about it before you take part then feel free to ask!

SallyEdited by: sallyb

Sorry - just been told by someone very helpful and more observant than me that the link I posted isn't working.

This one should work:
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...EqPYmvr7PlDPPA _3d_3d

Thanks [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I'll be willing to take a look at the survey today after lunch
    \'Meow!\' for goodness sake! Scratch, scratch, scratch. (Lightly of course)

Quote Originally Posted by furryballys
    I'll be willing to take a look at the survey today after lunch
    Thanks very much, it's much appreciated! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Ok I did it, anyone else thinking of doing it- be warned some of the pictures are VERY graphic!

I suppose I could give it a roll.
    Life is so worth living.

I don't mind taking it. But there are graphic pics? I wanna look at the survay but I'm scared to.

I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SURVAY NOW BUT I'M NOT SURE IF i CAN LOOK AT THE PICS..........

I thought it looked like snow with coffee spilled on it. It didn't seem very frightening. [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]
    Life is so worth living.

^^ lol, i'm going to give it a shot even though i just finished eating...LOL...if i can do it, then somebody else can!! GO GO GO!! I'll be back and tell you my thoughts shortly.

Oh gah, 'The study is expected to not cause distress'...well, it's going to probably find that most emets who can't even look at the word v* w/o feeling any distress is going to not be doing this survey....and we should be calling our GP for advice, ohhh please! They'll say, here's some xanax for you to take...at least that's how it goes here in America...or they'll say, oh, let me refer you to a counselor or therapist.

Sorry, this is just my initial reactions so far just by reading the first page. I'm still going to be a trooper and do the survey.

Just took it, good luck w/your diss. Sally, hopefully one day i'll be going that far when i become stronger and have more courage to manage my anxieties and this phobia.

Quote Originally Posted by xxglitterxx
    Ok I did it, anyone else thinking of doing it- be warned some of the pictures are VERY graphic!
    Ditto, and if you don't like the word v* or n*...yeah...it's used a lot in the survey.

GRAPHIC PICS? thanks for the heads up! I would take this survey as i too am a trying for my psychology degree. However you should have given more details to what is in the survey as in pictures or graphic details. If someone just took this survey they could have been really tramatized if there were graphic pictures. I will pass but wish you luck on your findings. [img]smileys/smilies_10.gif[/img]
    Raven, thats me.

Well, there are graphic pics but you have an option to 'opt' out at looking at the pics if you feel like they bother you.

I took the survay yesterday. There are alot of good questions. Then after you answer the questions it comes to a 'warning screen' that when you click next you will see a pic. The first pic just looked like a stain on a carpet. Then it says "do you want to contine to another pic" You can click yes or opt out. I looked at 6 pics I think. The first one was the carpet stain and the next a sick looking kid. Then a girl with a bowl that looked ill. Then the next 2 were a guy over a toielt. But then the next pic was GROSS. It was a close up shot of a pile of vomit. As soon as I saw it I hit opt out and the pic was gone right away.

Then the next part it asks you the same questions as before. The point is to see how your anxiety goes up after viewing the pics.

Thanks LOADS to everyone who has completed the survey. I'm very sorry if any of the photos have distressed anyone but as someone pointed out further up you are warned about them beforehand and can opt out in a second from any of the photos if you don't like them. All of the comments you have made here will really help me too. I promise I'm doing this with good intentions and in no way wish to upset anybody, which is why I made it so easy to click straight away from the photos etc. Even if you don't want to look at any of the photos, completing the rest of the survey is still really helpful to me.

Thanks so much again!

Quote Originally Posted by sallyb
    Thanks LOADS to everyone who has completed the survey. I'm very sorry if any of the photos have distressed anyone but as someone pointed out further up you are warned about them beforehand and can opt out in a second from any of the photos if you don't like them. All of the comments you have made here will really help me too. I promise I'm doing this with good intentions and in no way wish to upset anybody, which is why I made it so easy to click straight away from the photos etc. Even if you don't want to look at any of the photos, completing the rest of the survey is still really helpful to me.

Thanks so much again!
    No problem!

I didn't get any panic from your pictures; however I did have empathy seeing the people who were ill. I just wanted everything to be OK. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]One of the pictures looked like casserole to me! Guess that's what happens when taking a survey an hour past dinner time after skipping lunch! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Hope your research project turns out well!
    David

Done! Somehow got thru all the pics, but was definitely glad I had not eaten much beforehand, LOL [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]I know that my answers to the questions asked before viewing the pictures were a little different after viewing the pics though (with regard to stress level). Interesting survey to take!
    "People can't do something themselves, they want to tell you that you can't do it. You want something? Go get it. Period."

I liked it too. So if anyone wants to take the survay keep in mind that no pictures will jump out at you. You do not have to look at any of them.I'm glad I took it and I felt brave looking at some of the pic's when I didn't know what they would be of.

Good luck with your study [img]smileys/smilies_02.gif[/img]

Thanks a lot for all the kind words - I'm really glad you've mostly all been finding the survey to be ok - to be honest I am terrified of needles myself and I really don't like what you guys are scared of (I wont use the word here) either - though not to the same extent - so I'm extra glad that you're being so positive about it, the last thing I wanted was to scare anyone.

Thanks for the luck [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] when it is all done and dusted I'll let you know if I found anything worthwhile/interesting out [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

One thing to remember about a survey liek this is external influences on mood or anxiety.

I was sitting in my car at a gas station waiting on a friend to call (was in town going to meet for dinner and car talk). As I was doing your survey, people were walking by my car, parking and leaving next to me, and songs were on the radio that could change my mood.

Nothing that bothes me, but none the less they are influences.

We were probably all subject to other influences while doing the survey, ya know!

David

Oh one more thing to note! I know this about me, and possibly others, anxiety goes a lot with depression (as a psychology student you obviously know that!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]) so some of the initial questions, like about feelings, I answered honestly, but since I do suffer with depression and going through a rough patch, obviously that will affect answers....

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes!! [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by turbokinetic

Thanks so much again!
    No problem!

I didn't get any panic from your pictures; however I did have empathy seeing the people who were ill. I just wanted everything to be OK. [img]smileys/smilies_05.gif[/img]One of the pictures looked like casserole to me! Guess that's what happens when taking a survey an hour past dinner time after skipping lunch! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Hope your research project turns out well!
    David
    You're hilarious about the casserole...:-) haha, i thought it looked like fake v* the last pix though...ugh! Why was it red?

Thanks a lot for all the kind words - I'm really glad you've mostly all been finding the survey to be ok - to be honest I am terrified of needles myself and I really don't like what you guys are scared of (I wont use the word here) either - though not to the same extent - so I'm extra glad that you're being so positive about it, the last thing I wanted was to scare anyone.

Thanks for the luck [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] when it is all done and dusted I'll let you know if I found anything worthwhile/interesting out [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]
    Aww yes, thank you, i can tell that you have good intentions and don't want to scare anyone.

Okay, I will give it a try!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I did the survey. Once I reached the part where the girl was actually vomiting into the toilet, I had to stop looking at the pics.

I did it!
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Thanks everyone - so far I have about twice as many emetophobic participants than I do for any of the other phobias, you're all so helpful [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Thanks for the comments re anxiety going along with depression, other influences on mood etc, I will take them all in to account when I'm writing my findings up [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by kellybeth
    But then the next pic was GROSS. It was a close
    up shot of a pile of vomit. As soon as I saw it I hit opt out and the pic
    was gone right away.
    I couldn't get past that picture either.