Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Tuesday night my son was sick, v****ting, all night. I thought it was from something he ate, I was still scared, especially because I ate a little of the same thing. Well, last night my daughter started saying her stomach hurt and she got up and she'd gotten sick in her bed and today she's been throwing up.

So I'm scared and nervous. They've been sick before and I haven't caught it, but the stomach viruses lately seem to be worse like everyone will get them. The funny thing is my daughter (she's almost 2) isn't even acting like she's sick or like she feels bad. She's just being herself and then every once in a while she just throws up and gets back to what she was doing. Which makes me wonder about myself, do I feel so horrible when I'm sick because of what's in my head, and not it's really not that bad at all? I'm tired of feeling this way, it's entirely dehibilitating. My husband hates the way I'm been lately, he says I'm always scared and worrying and no fun to be around. I wish I could find the strength to change.

Misty

Hmm....I really wish I'd a been here sooner.

Hows everyone now? Hopefully better. It may have been a bug, may not have been. chances are slim you'll get it...I hope you're okay!
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

remember, kids immune systems arn't very good, because they havent been exposed to alot of viruses. Your immune system is much better at fighting it off, and if you keep away form your daughter and wash your hands you'll probably be okay!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I agree, children's immune systems are so much weaker than our own, they pick up evry little thing around them. But as adults, we get immune or stronger immunity to things we encountered as children. Hence, we do not get sick as much as children. Just make sure you clean well and have everyone wash their hands, and you should be fine. I hope you're handfling them being sick ok.

I hope they get better soon!

Yes, children are very prone to v*ing, and are easy at doing so. They are weaker. Since you are stronger, I doubt you'll catch anything they do. And if you do...you can cope! But dont worry, no matter if you do get it (although I doubt it) or if you don't, we're here for you.

Stay strong! You can do it!

My daughter wasn't sick for very long, she was only sick a few times and then she was done. She's been eating and everything.

I haven't really been eating and I feel like crap! I didn't go to work, I've been so stressed there so I just called and told them about my kids and said my stomach hurt and I hadn't been able to eat, so they said," stay home, we don't want to get it!" I've been drinking this tea with echinachia,zinc, and vitamin C, and taking extra vitamin C, which has finally given me the runs, but I don't care just as long as anything bad goes out that end, I'm good!

My husband's been stressing me out worse. He said since our daughter was sick today, then in a couple of days I'll be sick, a couple he'll be sick, and then we'll be done. I don't know if he was joking or not, but I didn't think it was funny!

Misty

Misty - Please rest assured that you are NOT alone. I am a mother of 2 - a son 8 years old and a daughter 6 years old. My experience with my son has been that he only occassionally catches stomach bug - probably less than once a year. However, about 18 months ago, my daughter went through a horrible six-month period when she had many sv's in a relatively short period of time. My son also caught one from her during this period. As a result, my phobia came on full bore - I am pretty much a wreck over v'g and my kids.

My daughter has a sv right now. Poor thing was sick at school. So my anxiety has been extreme today.

That being said, I want to relay some of my experiences. I hope they help you.

(1) First of all my kids are normal, happy kids. Doing well in school and have lots of friends. So I guess my phobia is not paralyzing them.

(2) Despite the panic I feel, I have always managed to care for my kids when they v. I guess it's that I would lay down my life for my kids thing, because I defintely feel threatened when they are v'g.

(3) I have not caught a stomach bug from my kids to date. I guess you can never say never, but my phobia has caused me to overcompensate with hygiene and what not when the kids are sick. I hand wash constantly and wash everything the sick kid comes in contact with. Obssessive, I know, but I am not sure I can handle sick kids and sick me. (I am divorced and the kids' dad lives in anotjer state so I am pretty much on my own with so. But it doesn't sound like your husband is very sympathetic.)

(4) I isolate the sick kid from the healthy kids for 2-3 days after. Again, I know this is obsessive, but the only times my son has caught the sv from his sister is when I get sloppy with this.

My point is that it is not inevitable that the whole family has to get sick. In the past, everyone (including my kids' dad) has caught the sv, but I haven't so I believe my hygiene measures work.

Hang in there! Hopefully, my son and I come through this alright this time too.

Sorry to hear about your situation! I really know what you are going through. I have 5 kids, and I get scared about them being sick. It is a horrible feeling, but this too will pass. Try and relax and eat something. Charlotte

I think what rileyl says is right. Just try and keep good hygiene and you should be ok.

How old are your kids?? I keep hoping my kids will outgrow v'ing, like I did!! I know how you feel, the stress and anxiety are the worst! Just keep wahing your hands and sanitize sheets, toilets, clothing,anything that could potentially have saliva, mucous, or vomit on them! I know the urge to flee is great, whenever my husband is ill, I threaten to take the kids and stay somewhere else!!

Hi, thank you for all of your replies. I haven't written because everything around here has gotten much worse and I haven't had a chance.

My husband got sick Sunday night, and not only did he get sick, he got a whole lot sicker than the kids did! I am a wreck, this is causing problems in my marriage and job and everything.

Oh, Donna, you asked how old my kids are, they are 5 and 2. Anyway, on Monday night I ate a little and then my stomach started feeling very upset, I went to bed and woke up the next day with it still upset and a fever. So I stayed at home and slept all day long. Yesterday the fever was gone so I started eating again, then my daughter got a fever. So today she still has the fever but no v****ting although she had a really runny diaper last night.

I ate breakfast this morning then later on my stomach hurts and I keep having to go to the bathroom and it keeps cramping so I'm not eating again. I don't know what this is and I'm so scared and I have to work tommorrow. I'm worried about my daughter and my family and we have absolutely no money or insurance so we can't get really sick! I don't know how I'm going to get through the rest of the winter![img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]

Misty

Aw Misty. That sucks so much. WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE TO GET SICK? really. It just causes so many problems.

I hope you and your family are doing better, and remember it's okay to take a day off if you're not feeling well. I do it, I say screw em. I'm staying home in bed all day!

Take care.
    .I just want to feel safe in my own skin. I just want to be happy again. I just want to feel deep in my own world. But I’m so lonely I don’t even want to be with myself. <3

You might just be soo stressed your body is reacting that way! try not to get too rundown because that lowers your immune system.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh