Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

me and my boyfriend live in an apartment and we have a cat. we got the cat when he was about 3 months Old, and now the cat is about 8 months old.

We dont know what to do. Ive never had a cat that got into everything. if hes not meowing constanltly at night( which keeps us awake and very grouchy) hes getting into the flowers aroudnt he apartment, food we leave up high on the shelves. Its not once a week, Its every day and night.

because of this I cant get close to this cat if i try. Ive had kittens before but not like this one. I know apartments are small and cats get bored but we try to give him lots of attention and he has lots of toys.

sigh. any suggesstions? Im a cat lover but this one makes me want to pull my hair out.

someone even suggested putting sticky tape on the counters to it would get stuck to him when he jumps up. we did that for a good two months, and it seemed to work a little but it gets so tiring.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

First off, have you had him fixed? That could be a lot of the problem!

I'm a cat person all the way and I've had a few that were crazy as well. If you want the cat to stop jumping on the counters, line the counters with aluminum foil. For some reason it scares them and therefore breaks them of the habit. Also, if your kitty is chewing/clawing things, there is a product in the US called "Bitter Apple" that stops them from chewing and doing things they are not supposed to do. It's actually for show animals to prevent them from licking themselves. It works great for everything else though! Also, it doesn't ruin furniture or plants. If all else fails, talk to your vet! Good luck!

thats some pretty good advice about the foil! I'll try that. we had him fixed about a month and a half ago, it hasnt seem to have changed him in any way like we were hoping.

he isnt really chewing things hes not suppost to, just humping up on the counters ( which is gross, ist where we prepare food and eat)

thats good advice so far!
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

hey there

i am such a cat lover - without a cat at the mo tho! i am reading the cat whisperer at the moment and the thing about the tin foil is prob the best idea. i read that bascially cats cant asociate doing something and being told of for it - therefore if we shout and punish them then they get scared of us and it just ruins the close relationship tat we really want to have with them. so y making things seem like 'acts of god' the cat 'should' get the message and stop jumping up.

good luck
    ems