Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Does lysol REALLY kill norovirus??? I thought that i had heard before that it did not kill it but now im hearing that it does. I bought some yesterday and was looking at the back of the can and it names all the viruses that it kills and it says FELINE CALICIVIRUS(norovirus). What is feline calicivirus???? I did not think that it was in ANY way related to norovirus. I thought it was a respiratory illness that occured in cats! lol Maybe im not as smart about this kinda thing as i thought i was! Anyway, if anyone knows if lysol kills norovirus and is 100% sure PLEASE let me know. Im very curious about this!! [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] Edited by: triciamassey
    Make me whole again....

lysol contains benzalkonium chloride which is proven to be effective to kill feline and murine calcivirus... there have been no studies to show whehter or not for sure Human Norovirus is killed by these products because its very difficult to test, but feline and murine calcivirus are excelent surrogates and have been tested and proven to have nearly the same net kill effect.

so the simple answer to your question, if the lysol contains benzalkonium chloride and not just ethanol then YES it kills norovirus

Thank u aaronsd-u seem to know ur stuff! I looked again at the can and it only says dimethyl benzyl ammonium saccharinate 0.10% and ethanol 58.00%. It says "other ingredients 41.90% but i dont see anything about the benzalkonium chloride so does that mean it wont kill norovirus?? [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]
    Make me whole again....

same thing... just different name for the chemical