Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hiya folks, this isn't Asia atm, its her boyfriend. Just figured I'd give you a heads up about James Cameron's new movie Avatar because I'm pretty sure a few of you might be somewhat interested I saw it earlier tonight at a midnight showing and figured I'd give a quick briefing on what to expect.

First off, there isn't anything within the movie itself that you'll need to worry about. It is absolutely devoid of anything that you may be uncomfortable with.

However, there is a caveat. This movie was released in full 3D, and in my opinion it provides the best movie going experience I've ever had...but I feel the need to warn you. Some folks have been known to experience motion sickness in 3D movies, especially ones with lots of busy action on the screen. If you or yours are prone to bouts of motion sickness in these types of movies, don't fret, because there is an alternative. Thankfully, the movie is showing without that 3D effect in most movie theatres. While you'll miss out on a fantastic experience, its a small price to pay in order to enjoy this epic story.

The combination of it being James Cameron's return to the silver screen, one of the biggest releases of the year, and being really damn good, you can bet there will be tons of folks checking it out at all the busy movie-going times. If you personally don't have any issues with motion sickness but you're worried about being in a theatre with those that may, I suggest choosing a matinee showing during a weekday. You can also default to the non 3D showing.

I know, I know, you all probably know all of this but I figure it wouldn't help to be as detailed as possible to save someone from an uncomfortable situation =D

Take care, and I know you'll enjoy the movie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank u for posting that. I'm bit freaked out now as my boyfriend has booked us tickets to see the 3d film on sunday as a treat for my birthday. I do not suffer from motion sickness myself but am now worried others around me will [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] Did anyone in ur screening actually get sick?
    ** Every time we choose safety, we reinforce fear **

Wow, thanks for warning us! That's very sweet of you to think about us!

Asia, I think he's a keeper.
    Crayon

Haha he's definitely a keeper, he went to see it last night (I was asleep) and I woke up this morning with this thread up on my computer! He went to bed at 6AM this morning (4 hours ago) so when he awakens I'll ask him if anyone was ill in his show, gnat.

I wouldn't be too worried personally about motion sickness, I've seen so many 3D movies and not a one have I seen or heard anyone ill. I can't wait to see it!

I'm going to see it in 3D on Saturday. I've only ever seen
    one 3D film before and that was only a short one at the
    science museum IMAX theatre.
    I don't get motion sickness *touch wood* and I don't think
    my brother does (i'm going with him)

But I REALLY hope no-one else is ill in the cinema when I'm
    there... and hopefully they'll leave if they feel bad.

Thank u Bonnie (I hope i have ur name right, sorry if i don't!!)

I'm really looking forward to watching it, the reviews i've seen said it was brillaint [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Yup, I'm BOnnie :P

And if you're nervous about your party of people getting motion sickeness, bring along some dramamine (I think the UK name is gravol)

Just talked to the BF. He said nobody got sick at his theater, and he was at the packed midnight show!

Yay that reassures me [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img] I'm excited about it now, i've read some awesome reviews!!

OK I saw it today, have to say it was AMAZING.
    I seriously sat the whole movie with my eyes wiiiiide
    wide open, it's such a beautiful movie in terms of the
    artwork on it.

The only bit where you might feel any motion sickness is
    the first opening scene, which lasts for less than a
    minute.

There is a fire in the movie and people are coughing/
    almost retching sometimes, but it isn't that bad, trust
    me, I am hyper sensitive to this kind of stuff and I
    found it fine.

It is really long though haha.

I still haven't seen it but I'm glad he posted this warning, or else I would have covered my eyes and ears through the coughing part!!

I went to see it last night, it was awesome! No n* at all, it just took my eyes half an hr to adjust + so i had a headache for a bit but it was well worth it!!

I loved it, 'twas completely amazing!!!

And the graphics... simply mind blowing! Gorgeous story.

Quote Originally Posted by gnat_3prid View Post
    Thank u for posting that. I'm bit freaked out now as my boyfriend has booked us tickets to see the 3d film on sunday as a treat for my birthday. I do not suffer from motion sickness myself but am now worried others around me will [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img] Did anyone in ur screening actually get sick?
    There were some loudmouths that were joking around about it when I went to see it the first time, but nobody seemed to actually be sick. I waited until everyone left the theater, just in case though.

On a semi-related note: Is the film list still in existence? That was the best part of the previous site...

Thumbs up

I saw the 2d version instead of the 3d, although i might go back and watch the 3d later this weekend. This is an amazing movie, sooo good, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
    There is sci-fi, fantasy, romance, action (although not much humor, but with everything else you hardly notice the absence)
    I would recommend this movie to evryone
    "Day by day, nothing seems to change. But pretty soon everything's different."

I always knew I had a fear of others v* but didn't know what it was called until today. Today was the day I decided to do a search on how to get better about my fears, because I heard on the news that the movie Avatar was making people ill. I was so scared and thought to myself, "Thank goodness I haven't gone to see that movie. I would die if anyone got ill." I became obsessed today with looking up cases of anyone getting sick in a theatre and from there continued searching until I found this forum!

I remember a friend of mine telling me she v* at the theatre watching the 9-11 movie and I just thought, "wow, thank God I wasn't there".

Also, I remember having a panic attack watching Problem Child 2 where there is a horrible scene of people v*ing.

I don't know if I would be able to go see this 3D movie. For those of you brave enough to go, how did you do it? Did you go at an off peak time? I think if I were to see this movie, I'd have to go with friends I trust who don't get sick, pick a time where there are hardly any people in the theatre, and sit as far away from anyone I can, and I would have a hard time focusing on the movie because I'd still be on the lookout of anyone who may look like they might get sick.

I am so glad I have found this forum. I hope I can start to get better or at least find solutions to things like this through all of you. Thanks.

I've seen it in 3D twice. Once at peak times, the other at non peak times. I haven't heard of anyone being ill seeing Avatar, and I have friends who have seen it 5+ times. Although it is a 3D movie, it's not really one that messes with motion sickness much. If you are worried, take some dramamine or have your friends take some as well.

If you are super scared, try the 2D version. I feel that Avatar is a movie best experienced in 3D, however if you're tense through the whole thing it's not worth it. Do what you feel ok with

my hubby wants me to see it but im being a baby about going to the cinema. we will see the 2d version, he already saw the 3d version. its just being at the cinema for me tho. i just always feel anxious and worry my ibs will play up etc etc etc.

Default Re: Avatar, the movie...

If there is a director's hall or something like that, it should help a lot. I was really nervous about cinemas after my District 9 incident. Now I try to see movies in the Director's Hall. The one near my has leather seats that recline, and are wider than normal seats. It's also bigger and you have more room in general. I either sit to a side so I have an escape route (though I never use it, it's so comforting to know I have it) or sit on the first row of elevated seats, since I can slide out under the guard rail and exit if needed.

Default Re: Avatar, the movie...

I saw this in 3D with my fiance and at first I was a little n* from it at the beginning but I stuck it through and actually enjoyed myself (even though I would turn to my partner in the theater and we would both be saying what was going to happen next). It gave me one heck of a headache though, and I didn't think it was the greatest thing ever either. I mean it was entertaining but I wouldn't see it again. My fiance, however, has written fan fic for it already so...LoL!