Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

My mom got off work today around 11:00 AM and wanted to go see Walking Tall. I really didnt want to go because movie theaters make me a nervous wreck but my mom was begging me to go with her. We got to the mall around 12:00 NOON and the movie didnt play until 1:30 so we walked around to kill time. Finally it was time for the movie. As we were walking toward the room were our movie was playing I started getting very nervous. I can't even explain the feeling. We went in and sat down and my nerves kicked in even harder. Then the previews started and it got almost pitch black and the volume was blaring. My body was tense and my heart was pounding and I found it hard to breathe. I had a weird feeling throughout my body--one that I can't even begin to explain--but it was definitely a panicky feeling. I was about ready to tell my mom we had to leave but I fought the feeling. Instead Istung myself with the metal part of my hair tie. I have a lovely bruise on my wrist now. But that helped alot.Once the movie started my nerves calmed down but whenever the movie got really loud like when they were shooting and when his truck blew up and music was playing I got very panicky again. I fought my fears but barely. I will never go see a movie again. Was I going to have a panic attack or what? I wasn't panicked about vomiting. I was just really nervous with all the noise and darkness. Any idea what it is? Edited by: mystikal star

It's anxiety. Everything you described sounds like anxiety, just nervousness, panick,ect.

I get like that in Movies, I get all panicky when there are so many people in the theatre, and I'm too close (I ALWAYS sit in the back)....How loud it is.

You should be proud that you went, even though you were feeling panicky.

DOn't say you will never go to another movie again, try to go again instead.

There were only 6 other people in the theatre with us. I still cant believe I was so panicked with so little people.

Did you have a bad past experience with V in a movie theater? Maybe something in your subconcious reminded you of a bad past experience with V. I think it's a normal thing we go through. Sometimes I feel panicky in certain situations and I don't know why. I'm sure it has something to do with my phobia though. Next time you go see a movie bring along something that will relax you while you watch it. Good luck to you!

~Amy

I know I sure did.

GRAPHIC

We were watching The Little Mermaid in the theatre as a family. And all of a sudden my brother says he doesn't feel good. My dad picks him up and takes him to the bathroom, where he throws up all down my dads shirt, on teh door of the bathroom...ect. I don't remember getting home, but I do remember my brother and dad having a shower to clean the little guy off, while I sat on the stairs crying my eyes out.

YUP. fun times! no.

I didnt have a bad vomit expierence in a theatre but I had one in a public place where you sit for a couple hours--just like a movie theater. I was the one who got sick everywhere in front of everyone. This is what I believe triggered my phobia.

Hey there,

Im sorry to hear it was hard for you to go. I know when Im goin to see a movie, I get like for some reason like real tense in the beginning, and almost feel sick sometimes. I know the first time I saw FotR I felt like I was almost gonna V* (nerves) and I had to look at the floor for like the first 15-30 min to compose myself, but once I got inot the movie I was okay. I know loud noises in theaters make me tense up too.

I'm realy sorry that happened, it must have been really scary. It definately sounds like anxiety, you were probably on the brink of a panic attack. Try not to isolate yourself from certain places because of it - I know thats hard, but you need to go back to the cinema as soon as possible, because the longer you leave it the harder and scarier its going to be. Maybe you could try some relaxation techniques whilst the previews are on to help calm you down a bit?

Abi xxxx
    \"You are beautiful, no matter what they say \"
    \"Too many Years, fighting back tears, why can\'t the past just die? Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try\"

Myst,

What you describe IS a panic attack: a text-book example. Sometimes they come out of nowhere. Check out the link at the top of the "Treatments" thread for how to deal with panic attacks (provided by Soluene - it's excellent). Whatever you do DO NOT resolve never to go to a movie again. This will make you WORSE AND WORSE AND WORSE. If you panic driving, then you'll stop driving. If you panic at the school, you'll quit. If you panic outside, you'll stay inside...etc. Then you'll end up living in a bathroom like one person I saw on Oprah once - and dragged off to some institution! GAK! Check out the link, then GO TO ANOTHER MOVIE RIGHT AWAY. Practice the techniques while you're there.

Remember that you were in NO DANGER in the movie. It was only a panic attack, and it passed. Then you were ok. Nothing was wrong. You were alright - perfectly safe. Don't set up the movie theatre as a place of danger. Please! Please!

All the best, Myst. We all love you.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.