Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Hello...Just wondering if I am the only one that has to sleep with the radio and fan on? I do that just in case someone in my family gets sick in the middle of the night. [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] Charlotte

I have to sleep with the TV on, because I find that if I just lie there my mind gets to thinking about things I'd rather not be thinking about. If I keep myself occupied until I completely zonk out I can usually get to sleep with no anxiety. F**ks up my sleep pattern though.
    Hard Normal Daddy

I always sleep with music playing in my ear.
    AIM - r311dude (don\'t be shy, I love to chat)

I used to have to sleep with the radio on, but then I had a bad experience from that, it messed up my sleep pattern too much, so I stopped. Now I have gerbils, and their wheel squeaks every time they run on it, which they do in the night, so that is my noise.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

My husband actually has always slept with a fan on, and since we started living together even before we were married, we've had a fan on. My anxiety about someone getting sick in the night now is so much less because the fan is my safety. Now, sleeping without noise if I visit my parents, I can't get to sleep and I wake up alot becuase the silence is just deafening. We usually end up bringing our own fan when we go somewhere. If I'm home alone when hubby is travelling for work, sometimes I try with no fan, because I'm the only one in the house and don't have to worry about another person getting sick in the night.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

I started sleeping with the radio on when this phobia began, I didn't want to hear family members being sick, and to this day I still have the radio on just in case.

I sleep with a fan. I have done it for a while now, I don't know why I started, but I do it now out of habit. It's not so much emet related because I'm the only one who sleeps upstairs. It's funny because my boyfriend, sister, her husband, and her ex boyfriend all sleep with fans. My dad does too, but I think that's because he produces so much heat! I find it really relaxing, and I have trouble sleeping without one now.

I sleep with a fan and the tv on!! I started doing so in my teens when my dad a bad cold and kept me up coughing. But I also find that I can not sleep at all with no sound . If I am going to be sleeping some where other than home...I bring a my discman.

wow --- i can only sleep when thers NO NOISE..

fans irritate me, and so does the TV........... if someone is ill in the houise, ill listen to some music in my headphones until im so tired, i'll tke them out and drop off within a second.

Jen xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have to sleep with a fan on at least and sometimes I sleep with the television on turned way down. It's not really for any exact reason except for something about complete silence really bothers me... I know tons of people who do the same thing, non-emets too... so I think there's something about complete silence that bugs people. It's eerie
    My journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    wink

Giving up doesn\'t always mean that we are weak. Sometimes it just means that we are strong enough to let go.
    Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Jenneh

wow --- i can only sleep when thers NO NOISE..

fans irritate me, and so does the TV........... if someone is ill in the houise, ill listen to some music in my headphones until im so tired, i'll tke them out and drop off within a second.

Jen xxxxx

Yeah, that's the exact same for me. Sometimes I'll get really annoyed, because silence seems loud. It seems lately, well not so lately, but for the past half year or so, I've been extra sensative to sound.

Hearing someone throw up is not an issue for me (anymore) because I sleep in the closet that is on the far side from the door, from where my room used to be. So, if I shut both doors, I never hear anything.
    -Anna

I always have to sleep with a fan! I live alone, so it's not emet-related. It just helps me sleep.

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I've slept with a fan for about 6 years now. It drowns out sounds I dont want to hear! I would never listen to music tho cause I assosiate it with a past experiance I usually like to have some light in my room so I can see whats going on - you can always tell when I'm scared cause I close my door!! Might have to tonight actually, my mum is ill

I sleep with the fan on during the other seasons--not now though cause its like near winter, and my mom wouldnt let me >.< Oh well i just close the doorwhen my mom lets me.. When i sleep i just focus my mind on what i like [Fanfiction~!] then i just like fall asleep.
    <font color=PINK><center>Believe in Yourself</center></font>

I also sleep with the fan on and it isn't emet related.

Like a few others here, my husband slept with the fan on him every night before we shared a bedroom and I used to need complete silence. Then we started sharing a bed and he insisted on the fan. Now when he is cold he turns it off and I turn it back on because I need the white noise. I got too used to it. It blocks out my cats playing (I have 5) and if it isn't on they keep me awake.

When I am worried about someone getting sick I wear headphones to bed and play a tape. It works for me.

<font color=Blue>Carly --Check out my site---
    you are on MySpace let me know and I will add you as my friend</font>

Lately, I can't fall asleep without the TV on. I have to leave it on until I pass out, and then I eventually wake up to turn it off. I don't know why recently though. I used to be the person who couldn't sleep with ANY light or sound at all...

xoxo

Allie
    **No one knows what it\'s like behind my green eyes.**

I need total silence and total darkness to fall asleep. I do worry about someone getting sick a lot though because my bedroom is right next to the bathroom, and everything echos in the bathroom too. yuck. But if someone feels ill, i'll usually go sleep in the basement on the futon.
    <font color=MAGENTA>-Rachel</font>

[img]smileys/smilies_35.gif[/img]I have a nightlight!

I only need the TV on if my husband isn't home when I go to bed. If I am home alone I need the TV on to fall asleep and then I turn it off in the middle of the night. I also need the TV on if I don't feel well otherwise I feel alone in the dark, queit night and it makes me feel worse.

<font color=Blue>Carly --Check out my site---
    you are on MySpace let me know and I will add you as my friend</font>

I dont usually sleep with any noise, but when I can't sleep I put the radio on so I can fall asleep. I definitely like total darkness, unless I feel sick, in which case I sleep with the light on b/c I'm afraid.