Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Tomorrow I am to have my tonsils removed. I do not care how much pain the surgery causes to my throat.. I just DO NOT want to vomit. The surgery center told me that the doctor who is removing my tonsils does not give anti-v meds unless you vomit more than twice! (Well I'm sure if I vomit twice I wouldn't feel sick anymore! haha) Soo all joking aside I am TERRIFIED. I took it upon myself to call the actual ear, nose and throat doctor who is removing my tonsils to see if he could give me meds so I would not v*. I just wanted to see for myself if he would or wouldn't give me them. When I told him I was afraid of throwing up (over the phone) he said he "would take care of me" and that I could have something. I am still nervous because I am afraid that once I get to the hospital tomorrow they will tell me that I cannot have anything. At that point I honestly might back out of the surgery if they will not give me something. Yes, I am THAT scared.If I ask for antiemit drugs for after surgery, can they really refuse to give them to me?

It sounds like he will give you some anti-emets. The normal procedure before an operation is for the anaesthetist and sometimes the actual surgeon to come and have a chat to run through things beforehand, and it is then that you need to make sure it's put on your chart that you need anti-emets so it's already prescribed and ready for the nurses to administer it, usually before you come round.

It's not all that common to v* after anaesthetics these days, but i fully understand you not wanting to take chance, i'd be the same too!

Good luck with the surgery and let us know how you get on.

i would make sure that when you go in in the morning that you speak to the anesthesiologist and your dr and let them know what your ent said.

from my understanding....these days they do not want you to v because it can interupt the healing process. good luck tomorrow.

Thanks for the support. I just got off the phone with a nurse in the OR (had to call and see what time they wanted me to come in) and I said "I know this is silly...but I'm afraid of throwing up after...etc" and she said that they should be able to give me something and I would just have to talk to anesthesia tomorrow. Puts my mind at ease but still nervous! I'm scheduled to be there at 8:15a tomorrow. Should only be over there 4 hours so home by 1:00 I'm hoping! I will keep you updated. Maybe this will help someone like me going through surgery. Keep your fingers crossed for me and say a prayer.

i had a hysterectomy in in feb and i never was n or v'd

i had already talked to my dr about it so they gave me meds when they put me under and had it availible if i needed it afterwards. i bet you will do great!

I have had anesthesia 6 times for differnet things. The last one was allmost a year ago. I allways ask for an anti-emetic before hand. The anesthesiologist will give it to you. They put it right in your IV before surgery. I have NEVER had a doctor tell me no. I never had any problems with n* afterwords ecept for the last time. I was very n* after I woke up. I was so sure I would vomit. But when I told the nurse she gave me more anti-emetics and I felt tons better within a few minutes. I never vomited.

Good luck. Hope all goes well for you!

Hello ams5174!!!
    I really hope everything went well. I had a bad experience with surgery once,
    but I didn't throw up. I just woke up feeling sick, dizzy and panic but it was
    all probably an emotional reaction because I had been extremely anxious
    about the surgery for months.
    I hope you come back and tell us how it went.
    Good wishes for you

I had to get 4 wisdom teeth taken out a couple years ago. I wanted to get general anasthesia because of the amount of horror stories I had heard about not being completely numb etc.

I forgot about the possibility of V* from it. To be honest - I forgot about not drinking anything before the surgery and drank a bottle of tea with the pills they gave me for that morning. I was mostly worried about peeing my pants from the tea! I did use the bathroom immediately before going into surgery though.

When I woke up - there was NO N* whatsoever. (and no wet pants - phwew!) I did not get any anti-emetics.

I would not worry about it - you'll be fine. Just (for peace of mind) get the anti-emet before and then you will be double-certain fine!

Take care!
    David

I had my tonsils out 2 years ago, and it was fine!! It hurts a lot afterwards, but I didn't feel n* at all! Just make sure you aren't bashful, and feel free to tell everybody you are scared of V and you need Anti emetics. Your ENT said he'll take care of you, and I'm sure he will

Good luck darlin, let us know how it goes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.