Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: book?

hey all i have been thinking of writing an account of my time at counseling and all my ups anddowns of emet ad anxiety. give me ur feedback on what u think k?
    Omnia vincit amor. -- \"Love conquers all.\"

Wonderful idea.

I wish there was more awareness on the subject.

I'm not sure if you know...Sage is writing a book on Emetophobia. She will probably respond to this topic.

Go for it.

I think the more info that gets out there the better. I think there are a lot more people suffering from EMET that we know. I am sure there are lots that are like I was. I thought that I was like odd one out and I never wanted to ask the doctor about it or ANYONE because I thought I was being silly or wierd. What I would have done to have a book or find a book.

I say go for it. Though I think Sage is writing one not sure I am sure with her know it all knowledge she will respond to this really quick. I still say go for it.
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

I agree with everybody else, anything we can do to raise awareness of this phobia is definately a positive thing!

Abi xxxx

\"You are beautiful, no matter what they say \"
    \"Too many Years, fighting back tears, why can\'t the past just die? Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try\"

Ya - go for it!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I started to write down my experiances and although it shook things up I've found it really helps. I had an awful time in a school assembery and tried not to think about it but when Idid it was ok and now its almost out of mind but on paper! Tell us how it goes

ok, i will keep u all posted. sage, i didnt know u were writing a book, srry. im not copying or anything, i didnt know u were writing one. i just thought i would keep like a journal thing not too much of a midical informational thing. today i met with my therapist Gwen, and she gave my mother and me way more insight in this one appointment than my last counselor did through the whole 6 months i was with her. she seems really helpful with all the anxiety and everything. i have to write it down. im going to go weekly now instead of every other week and i have a meds appointment next wednesday. i'll keep u posted.

p.s.~ if harmonygirl reads this, i can give u the info about the therapist if you want to try her shes sems to know a lot. she gives you stuff to do right off the back. IM me![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

I find that writing down accounts is a great method of beginning exposure therapy- writing out the words that skeeve us out (you know, like v****, p***, etc) helps to desensitise us. I can say and write them without flinching, after 2 months of exposure therapy. Now, after 6 months, I can do lots more than that. Keeping emet journals helps! Make sure you write out the words you don't like!

~Rebeccah
    Love is the only rational act.

hey jaksparrowsemet: a whle ago, i started writing down my thoughts on what i was going thru, every single day, since beginning of 2004 i think... not long, i know, considering iv been suffering since 1997, but its a start. i too find it really has helped, and myt social worker even photocopys pages from it, for her to think about too.

i wud be interested in getting my own published, but, its got stuff in it about my parents, that cant EVER get out.. but i think u have an excellent idea there, and it would be absolutely amazing if u cud follow it up.. GOOD LUCK!

and Sage: i stil cant wait for urs to come, i think it wil be inspiring and helpful for a lot of ppl here, and of course, elsewhere, hope its all going well!!

Jen xxxxxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:

thnx all! hey sage~ can u tell me more about ur book? i wanna know what its like so i can buy it when u get it published! i know u will! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

lol- there are lots of books on the same subject in this world - the more the better.

My previous therapist (the one who successfully treated me) moved to England - and the two of us spent the last year doing research on emetophobia treatments in the UK, USA, Canada. Who's treating it, who knows about it, what methods are being used, what's the success rate. We have about a ZILLION pieces of paper, letters, articles, etc. to sift through. (I keep telling people around here that LOTS of folks are treated for this phobia - very successfully - all the time, but some people still argue with that....anyway that's OT.... I think the reality is that the people on this website, who stick around, generally are WORSE sufferers than most...but so was I, and I got treated successfully, so...there's always hope)

Now we have to sort through the research, and write the book. I will be telling my story in a narrative form, and in alternating chapters, "Paul" will be commenting on what HE was thinking and doing, and therapy techniques. Our purpose is to give the phobia a little press, as well as give hope to people who suffer from severe mental illness, but our MAIN goal is to help the psychotherapeutic community see how this phobia can and should be treated...particularly we want to emphasize the therapeutic relationship, the need to really listen to the client, underline just how terrified clients with this phobia really are, and stress that safety is the #1 need.

Anyway, I have another book for work that I'm doing and have to have the manuscript completed by June 30th. Then Paul and I will sit down at the keyboard. It will take at least another year. Luckily, he's already published a book that got great reviews (on another topic entirely - geriatrics). Cuz writing a book is easy - it's getting it published that's tough. Hopefully that won't be a problem if we've both got a book in print by that time.

So like I said - there are never enough books on any one topic. It's not "copying" to publish on a similar topic (look at all the cookbooks, or books on computers, or travel books). The more that's out there, the better. Start writing!

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

thnx for the encouragement! gwen suggested i should keep a journal anyway so she can track progress and stuff. she has me write anything significant that happened that day, any thoughts, and she wants me to write a goal for the next day and to rate my anxiety throughout the day between 1 and 5. i think it helps me get my emotions out. ive got 2 days in there so far but am working on it! do u have anyother books published sage?

beccah19~ i am writing all the uncomfortable words down and its hard, but im geting used to seeing them on paper. instead of just V-. its vomit. eeewww. it still makes me shuddder a little tho

ya but writing out the word helps in the end! the more you write it and look at it, the less it will bother you!

Nothing published so far. Stopping just short of "success" is one of my issues - lol! I've got a manuscript almost done, for submission on June 30th to an editor. It's called "Taking leadership in your own life" (unrelated to emet!) It may not get published, or it may get published under a different name...I'll be sure to let everyone know the good news this summer/fall if I break through into the publishing realm!

Keep journaling!

ok good luck!

Cant wait!!! Imight buy an extra copy ( if it gets published) for all my friends to read!!!!

That would be really amazin! There needs to be much more awareness!

i agree totally. ur in my prayers girl

Sage^& nbsp;^ everyone in school^

I just LOVE the dude whose head blows up!!!

I am SO stealing him. Say so-long to Tigger!

bye tigger!

today was my meds appointment and now im akin zoloft. i was very anxious about side effects but she assures me no one she knows has evered vomitted from it. my dad also took zoloft earlier because he has S.A.D. i think i do too and he said he didnt have an effects and he has a sensitive stomach so im still a lil worried but reassured. i also found some crystallized ginger which im takin instead of pepto since thats an anacid!

hope you contine to feel good and lets hope that these meds work for you and make you feel better! (I'm sure they wwill!)