Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

This is absolutely amazing! I never in a thousand years would have thought that there were other people out there suffering just like me. This site is truly a blessing, especially after suffering for about ten years with what I now know is called emetophobia.

Hi, I'm Zach [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img] I'm a music student (pianist and vocalist)at a small college in Indiana. I stumbled upon this site after randomly sitting down at my computer and searching for "fear of v-" In ten years, I've never thought to look for anything on the subject, mostly because I believed I was the only one who suffered from it. After a particularly bad week of worrying about v-ing and hearing about a couple other people who have, this site is exactly the relief I've needed.

I'd like to talk about a recent experience, just to kind of get it off my chest, and possibly get some helpful advice. So yesterday I had a vocal studio class, in which I was to sing a piece in front of my teacher and peers and they would offer constructive criticism to help me improve. I've done this several times before, but for some reason, I was really nervous yesterday. I had been feeling a little edgy the entire day, worrying about some stomach bug that was being passed around (between a couple people I really don't hang out with, but it bothered me nonetheless), so I think that, compounded with being nervous about performing, kind of made for a really bad situation. Through most of the class, while other people were singing, I couldn't do anything but hope that I wasn't going to v-. Then, right before it was my turn to sing, I was absolutely conviced I was going to toss, so I asked to go get a drink of water. The room was abnormally warm, so it was MUCH cooler in the hallway, which helped... and the water helped, then I went outside to get some fresh air. They continued without me, and just kind of looked at me strangely when I returned and requested to not sing because I didn't feel up to it. This made me very embarrassed and self-conscious, worsening my already bad anxiety. Nothing happened, and I was very glad to get out of there and go for a walk (btw, when you're freaking out about v-... a walk is a GREAT way to calm down.... for me at least).

My fear has been very disabling lately, causing me to seclude myself from even really good friends, and even eat less. I've unintentionally lost about 20 pounds over the past couple months, which is not good at all, because I was skinny before I lost the weight... and I fear I'm going to lose even more weight. But anyway... sorry for rambling on and on, I just hope this is the beginning of a revolutionary stage of my life. Any advice is IMMENSELY appreciated!

Hoping to recover,

-Zach-

P.S. How does one pronounce emetophobia?

Zach,
    I found this site about a month ago, the exact same way you did. It really
    is amazing, finding out that you're not a freak after all.
    I don't know exactly how to cure it, or even how to become less afraid.
    But for me, just knowing that others feel the same way I do. and being
    able to tell them what's going on is really comforting.
    Also, I don't know quite how to pronounce it, I've been trying to figure out
    if it's ee-metophobia, or eh-metophibia.

--Alli
    <font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.</font>
    —Seneca</font>

Hi Zach - I felt just like you when I found this site last year - at last I discovered that not only was I not alone, but my fear had a name! I have taken great comfort and strength from just knowing that the wonderful people who post on here are there to listen to my ramblings when things get tough. Just knowing I am not alone has given me strength and even some relief from my fears. I really hope that youderive some solice in these boards and find the support and strength you need and deserve.

As for the pronounciation:

eh-met-o-fobia

It comes from the medical/latin words emetemesis (meaning v****) and phobia (meaning 'fear').

Best wishes

Jill xxx

Hi Zach

I was amazed when I found this site too, its so comforting to know that there are others who feel the same way as we do.

I was incredibly thin too, until recently when I was put on anti-depressants which have made me gain weight. I'm not sure what advice to give you, except to try and increase the amount of carbohydrates you eat. I don't know if you have any particular 'safe' foods which maybe you could eat more of?

Welcome to the site

Abi xxxx
    \"You are beautiful, no matter what they say \"
    \"Too many Years, fighting back tears, why can\'t the past just die? Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try\"