Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: moving out

I'm planning on moving out of the house in september. I just can't stand
    it, my parents are just too hard to live with, and i really need to be on my
    own. i already know which apartments i'm going to look at, they're a
    block away from where i live now and definately affordable.
    but i'm really scared. what if I get sick? what if i have another panic attack
    and i'm all by myself? how do you deal with that?
    help!
    <font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.</font>
    —Seneca</font>

I have similar fears to you - I am going away to university in September and am petrified that I'm going to get sick on my own. Could you maybe live witha friend who you could trust enought to tell him/her your fears? Or, you could tell your parents about your problems, and maybe they would be willing to come over and help you if you panic?If they only live a block away you could always go over there if you ever felt sick or panicky to get some support?

Abi xxxxx
    \"You are beautiful, no matter what they say \"
    \"Too many Years, fighting back tears, why can\'t the past just die? Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try\"

I don't have a lot of really good friends, my best friend is planning to
    move to north van soon, so she's busy saving her movey for that. My
    parents wouldn't come over, they'd just tell me to stick it out like they
    already do. But I chose the location because it's so close to home, that
    way I can always just walk over and visit, or my sisters can do the same.
    And it's comforting to know that home is right there, if you need it.
    <font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\"><font size=\"2\">Sometimes even to live is an act of courage.</font>
    —Seneca</font>

By the way, aren't those lyrics on your signature from the phantom of the
    opera?
    —Seneca</font>

Yeah, they are from Phantom of the Opera - its my favourite musical, I love it!!

\"You are beautiful, no matter what they say \"
    \"Too many Years, fighting back tears, why can\'t the past just die? Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try\"

I'm actually comforted when I'm alone, cuz then I don't have to worry about anyone else getting sick or catching anything from a person I'm living with. I've never lived alone, but it would be a comfort to me. Try and think of it that way.
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

Rock_on,

I lived on my own for 6 months. With my best friend. It helps if you live with some who understands your fear. IF you get sick...you will be alone, I much rather be alone than with someone! Moving out is a big step, I'm sure you can do it. And that is good that it isn't far from home. And you can always come home right? My parents told me I could always come home (Which I did after 6 months)...But I moved 15 hours away from them. If you need to talk...I can give ya some good advice and some stories (lol) about living on your own.

I eas always more comfortable on my own once it happened because I didn't have to worry about someone being ill and I was in charge. I was living in Vancouver at the time though and I wish I had had someone to encourage me to go out a little more. I didn't enjoy the big city and ended up moving once I got engaged close to me parents. Now it is great I feel good close to home I can walk it is about 6km and about 3 km from the mall.

I am obviously not alone now butI am sure you will do great. You are in a place you are comfortable and that you chose.Good luck with it hun.

PS I LOOVE the Phantom of the Opera my favorite
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Thanks for all your help guys! It's helped me a lot. It's been a really hard
    few days, because I had a terrible panic attack on monday, and I've had
    several little ones since then. But I'm learning to deal with it by myself. It's
    really hard, but it's possible. I'm looking for a full-time job right now so I
    can afford the move, and once that happens, I'll be looking at those
    apartments.
    I know it's good to be alone, but when I feel sick I always want someone
    there, just in case I need them. I'm not really scared of being sick in front
    of anyone, I'd want them to be there and help me through it.
    But it will help a lot being so close to home.

--Alli

PS.. Phantom of the Opera is my favorite musical too!
    —Seneca</font>

You will cope, ya just do. n the first time ya have a panic attack when youre alone, n cope with it alone, is the most incredible feeling...

I've coped much better with my emet since moving out of home. It's weird, I thought it would be worse but I think not having the comfort of my parents and my old bedroom etc has made me more independant and more able to deal with things. I prefer to be alone when I'm ill anyway, again it's weird but I dont like to be touched or hugged or anything which people tend to do when someones feeling unwell. But you will cope. At first it seems hard but it's fine! Like eternity said, once you know you can deal with it on your own you feel much better about yourself and your phobia.
    Fae Kat!!! =sweetie darling luvvie mwah mwah mwah=

\"Nay faith, let me not play a woman, I have a beard coming.\" Flute, A Midsummer Nights Dream, Shakespeare

!!$H!nY hApPy K!tTy!! =^..^=