Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Things you would do in a "perfect world."

Perfect world means: no anxiety about being ill yourself, seeing someone else get ill or seeing the substance itself. What things would you go out and do with reckless abandon, without thinking twice if you knew you wouldn't have to worry about any of these things? Roller coasters? Cruises? Eat sushi and buffets? Become a nurse, a school teacher? Become a janitor? (haha, just kidding!!).

I'll start it off: If I didn't have to worry about people being sick or seeing *it*, I'd go out to bars or maybe a club now and again (that was never really my scene, though). I would get on planes without even thinking twice about who was going to be next to me and what they may or may not do. I would feel like a weight was lifted off of my shoulders...rather than how I usually feel, sitting there all stiff, monitoring every situation like an undercover watch guard. If no one in bars or clubs were served alcohol, I would totally go more often, haha.

Curious to hear what all of you would do in this "perfect world," as well as if you are making steps to be able to do these things...or if you are just content with avoiding these things.

Oh wow, i would do anything I wanted. I'd travel to east Europe with no worries about getting ill. I'd teach art at primary schools. Eat whatever i wanted. Do my a levels. Hmm it'd be lovely!
    "Here in the final draft, I've given all I have,
    Strange how the heart expands in the absence of a plan,
    There's nothing left on the page but I'm okay with that,
    I found my resolution was designed for stronger hands"

I would finally live life to the fullest. Stop washing my hands every hour, breathe normally, and go to public bathrooms without a worry! I would love to do missions in poor countries too! Fly on airplanes, ride on busses..all with no worries.
    Ah, what a good life that would be.

Travel, hands down. I want to travel so bad, but I feel like I never will really be able too. I don't think I will be able to get on a plane to leave the country. That makes me sad because I love history and learning about placs...and the closest I get to any of the places is watching it on TV.

I'd also be way more relaxed and open to your typical college parties. I probably still wouldn't drink, but I wouldn't be as worried about everyone else.

I'd probably like little kids more, too. Maybe I would have went after a degree in Musical Education.

Default Re: Things you would do in a "perfect world."

I know I am capable of many things, and I do them even thought they make me nervous...

So instead of saying things I can't do, I want to say things I can do without worrying:

Working out to the fullest of my ability. The minute I get n* I stop. I can never push my body to the extreme and that REALLY bothers me.

Be alone without being nervous. I always see people wanting to be alone when they are going through their break downs, but I am the opposite. I depend on people; I crave always to be around someone "just in case" it happens.

Sit down in a theatre and watch straight through a v* scene without a flinch. I look away, plug my ears, and mumble so I can't hear anything. It would be such a breeze without worrying about that.

I go to parties, go dancing, what have you. I used to be really nervous at first worrying about people getting too drunk. Now the feeling is MUCH less and I can handle it pretty comfortably. I wish though I could do it without thinking about the phobia. I think about it that's it; but it's still annoying. To this day, (and I have been out a lot) I have never seen anyone get s* or see v* on the ground at a club/bar.

If I could go on a plane without anxiety, that would be AWESOME. I don't worry too much about people getting s* because I have been on planes many times and have never seen anyone get s*. It's myself I get nervous about. I don't know why though because I don't get motion s*ness. Just a habit I guess...

I WISH I WISH I WISH I could help someone out if they were to get ill. If I wasn't bothered by v* I would totally be a nurse! I feel like that would be such a fullfilling job; plus it's much needed!

Not be scared of having a career job. I'm so worried about finding a job that I can't call out in. If something is wrong with my stomach I'll call out. I'm pretty strong, but that stress really is annoying. I'm going to school, I'm going to get a career. I'm just being a nervous butt.

I don't limit myself to food, (in face I had sushi today and it was great :] and I feel great!) so I am glad that part of my life isn't restricted. I mean I look at expiration dates, but that's a given.

I can't think of anymore. Mostly working out part, and obviously not getting nervous when I feel s*.
    Last edited by barararoom; 01-17-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Hi I'm new to the site ... Just wanted to start getting familiar with how things work!

In response: I would rush to help my friends/fam when they are ill! I would listen to music on public transit instead of listening to the ppl around me in fear that they will become ill, I would get a pet, and I would go to the dentist as much as possible - my fear of the dentist ties right into my fear of n* and heaving.

Anyway ... I look forward to hearing more of your experiences and ways you all cope.

Oh gosh. . where to start. . .

First of I wouldnt feel afraid to go to college, and once there I wouldn't be afraid to go out and have fun (Im going to college in NYC, the idea of not being able to go out is really upsetting as a result)

I wouldnt be afraid to go to amusement parks and ride rides, even though I LOVE! rides and they never make me n*, im always too afraid of other people and how dirty amusement parks are (except Disney World which is seriously like Heaven for emets. Trust me, SO FREAKING CLEAN!!!!)

And finally, probably the biggest things, I wouldnt be afraid to have children and teach, the two things Ive always wanted to do in my future but never thought I was going to be able to.
    Some hearts are true <3
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Oh and travel :-) I agree so very much with all you on that one.
    Some hearts are true <3
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by barararoom View Post
    I know I am capable of many things, and I do them even thought they make me nervous...

Not be scared of having a career job. I'm so worried about finding a job that I can't call out in. If something is wrong with my stomach I'll call out. I'm pretty strong, but that stress really is annoying. I'm going to school, I'm going to get a career. I'm just being a nervous butt.

I don't limit myself to food, (in face I had sushi today and it was great :] and I feel great!) so I am glad that part of my life isn't restricted. I mean I look at expiration dates, but that's a given.
    I can identify with your post. I do and have done a lot of things that make me nervous, and I continue to do them over and over (eat sushi, etc.). I do force myself to do things that make me uncomfortable, but I also avoid bars/clubs most of the time for this reason. I use the excuse that it makes me claustrophobic because I feel like most people will accept that over me saying that I'm afraid someone will be sick around me. (It actually does make me a bit claustrophobic, but only for that very reason.)

Years ago, I also ruined many jobs because of feeling sick or being afraid. I've gone out of my way to find jobs I could telecommute from. One of them was awesome, but the others really weren't worth it. I actually worked at a BAR at one point, believe it or not! I never quite got comfortable being there, but that's probably something that would be difficult for a lot of people with this phobia.