Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Another v* during labor / childbirth post

Hey everyone,

I'm a few weeks from having my baby and I'm REALLY starting to get anxious. I have a question too. For those of you who did get n* or v* during labor/delivery, what do you think caused it and could it have been avoided? Any info. would be appreciated! Thanks!

breathing...the harder and faster you breath the more n* you become. If you have not taken lamaz classes ask a nurse to give you a run down on how to breath. Not only will it keep you from being n* it will help with the pain! Other reasons people v* is because of pain meds. And for that reason, I did it all natural and it wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. Once you see your new bundle of joy, it will all be worth it, trust me! Good luck and keep us updated!
    Everyone needs someone who understands!

I was n* but IV anti-emetics stopped it.
    The first time I felt sick was when I began pushing. I don't know why it happened. It wasn't all that bad though.
    The second time I got n* was right after I had him. I attribute that blood loss possibly. Right after he was delivered a felt a huge gush of blood and fluid. As soon as that happened, I got extremely n*. That was much worse than the first time I got n*, but I asked them for meds asap and they put it in my IV very quickly.
    I definitely think it is possible to get through it w/o v*. Many years ago, I had a miscarriage. I experienced that terrible gush of fluid feeling when it finally happened and I was extremely n*. This was before I had anti-emetics and I made it through that w/o v*.
    I also want to say that, though you are constantly thinking about v* now, it won't be that way when you're actually having the baby. It wasn't on my mind at all once I was in labor at the hospital. The only time it crossed my mind was when I actually got n*.
    Good luck! You will get through this just fine.

i wish it were that way for me! haha i remember being in labor and telling the nurse, "i just dont want to v*!" im sure everyone thought i was nuts. Thats when she told me i was going to if i didnt learn how to breath correctly. Bless that woman! She saved me from a lot of pain and possible n*!
    Everyone needs someone who understands!

Default Re: Another v* during labor / childbirth post

Well, when I first walked in to the hospital and got set up in my room, I told the nurse about my phobia. I definitely wanted them to know that I didn't want to vomit. Once everything really got rolling, it wasn't on my mind until I actually felt ill.

I had made a wish-list for my labors, so I didn't forget to tell them the things that I wanted when showing up in hospital in the middle of labor. And one of the things on my wish-list was them knowing about my phobia. They were absolutely great about it and very reassuring

As for the v*-part - I can't give you any input since I never experienced any n* or v* during any of my labors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i did not have n or v during my 2 births. I told the Dr up front and they said i could have meds if i needed them...i never needed them.

I did tell my nurse as she was setting up for delivery - and she was awesome! She told me not to worry because it really wasn't all that common. I remember feeling a little n* while I was pushing, but I think it was because they made me lay down, and I wanted to be more upright. But like the pp said, you won't be thinking about it like you think you will. You will be fine ~ congratulations on your new little one!

I've had two babies and wasn't nauseous for either deliveries. So, obviously I did not v* either. You will absolutely be ok! How exciting for you to be welcoming a little one!
    \"This too shall pass\"

My first labor, my water broke at home and I was only dilated about 1cm, but they had to get labor started with cervidil to prevent infection to the baby. I was n* during my first labor at transition (when you dilate from 8-10 cm), but I also had an injection of stadol in my IV at about 5 or 6 cm so the nausea could have been from that. I will NEVER NEVER have stadol again. It did NOT make the pain go away, it just made me loopy and made me sleep between contractions (so yes, I slept for 2 minutes, woke to breathe through the contraction and passed back out - it was h*ll).

I also had an epidural when I hit 7 cm, but I don't think the n* was from that because I had an epidural with my 2nd daughter and did not have any n* with that labor. With my 2nd daughter, my water didn't break until the end, so they didn't have to induce me at all.

I was able to make the n* waves go away during my first labor by breathing SLOWLY and DEEPLY which would not have been possible without my epidural.

I wanted to go natural both times, but the first time I was so afraid and tense that I wasn't dilating until they gave me the stadol and epidural. My 2nd labor, my hubby kept falling asleep in the chair between contractions and I couldn't deal with laboring naturally alone, so they gave me the epidural so we could both sleep. My 2nd labor and delivery was a MUCH better experience then my first.
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear. ~Ambrose Redmoon

I had n* when I was in labor with my third child. I was trying to go without an epidural but the n* got too bad and I felt better after I got the epidural.

congrats to you for even being able to get over the fear and get pregnant...i was never that lucky....i'm sure you will be too busy during delivery to worry about n or v......best of luck to you!

My daughter has just had her 3rd boy two hours ago,she had nausea with 2nd one ok with new baby,I've got three children and didn't have n* with any labour,did take anti emetics with every labour