Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you make a living?

I know a lot of people here are stay at home mothers and students, but what about the others? How do you make a living?
    'I am a sick man...I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I think my liver is diseased. Then again, I don't know a thing about my illness; I'm not even sure what hurts.'

Default Re: How do you make a living?

I work in an office with about 20 other people. I do medical billing. I do input on the computer, post payments and follow up on medical claims. KInda boring but it pays the bills!

I don't work at the moment but I plan to be a student mid-year.

I groom dogs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm an RN in an enormous tertiary care hospital. I have emet and I'm a nurse....go figure?!

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysafraid View Post
    I'm an RN in an enormous tertiary care hospital. I have emet and I'm a nurse....go figure?!
    Wow, good for you for not letting it control your life.
    'I am a sick man...I am a spiteful man. I am an unattractive man. I think my liver is diseased. Then again, I don't know a thing about my illness; I'm not even sure what hurts.'

Student here

I run my own IT business - guess its another thing to feel in control of

I want to be a baker. Currently saving up for culinary school.
    You begin saving the world by saving one person at a time; all else is grandiose romanticism or politics.

I am an elementary school music teacher. A scary emet job, but I love it!
    Last edited by harmonygirl72; 02-01-2010 at 01:27 PM.
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

Software engineer. I'm lucky enough to have my own office which I keep the door shut almost all the time. I've also mentioned to my coworkers that I'm a bit of a hypochondriac (I find that's easier to understand than explaining my phobia), and have respectfully asked that they stay away from me when sick. So far so good...

I'm a flight attendant and a mom to a 12-year-old boy.

Worked in industrial sales for the last 35 years but am currently unemployed as of last month.

I work as a receptionist, so have lots of brief contacts with people but essentially sit on my own, which is just how i like it. I do have to share my desk as security sit here at night and people have to sit here when i have a break and go to lunch so i get few through a fair few antibacterial wipes and dettol spray, but this has been my best job yet in terms of emet not affecting it.

I'm a student but also work part time in a shop.
    The hardest part of the shop job is working the fitting room as essentially, i am pretty much trapped when i am on it! &To be perfectly honest, there is too much contact with the public. Yuck.

I'm a student but I work at a newspaper and plan to stay here after graduation. It's annoying sometimes but it's my living now I guess.
    The waiting seems eternity
    a day will dawn of sanity.

I work as an IT supporter in a hospital (go figure as well - although I'm never in contact with any patients ;o))

I teach 7th grade English. It can be a very scary job this time of year, but I love it so I find ways to deal with it.

Quit teaching after 10 years to run our real estate investment company. Just got my brokers license. I get to work from home and on my own schedule, usually alone, which is brought my anxiety down a lot. Only problem, less anxiety=more eating, I've gained 10 pounds in the past two years!
    Last edited by kellyjeannine; 02-01-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: correct spelling

i own a small cleaning business.....have contracts with apartment complexes after tenants vacate.....strange job for an emet since i'm cleaning other people's toilets, etc......but i do enjoy it and have the freedom to work my own hours if i'm having a bad day.....congrats to the nurses and teachers.....i would be freaked all the time doing either of those!!

me again.....also a flight attendant?? wow.....i can't even get near a plane.....how do you handle it? you can't get out of that if you need to....bravo!

Yes - more power to the nurses and schoolteachers! Very amazing you cope with this phobia and do those jobs.

I do field work on large marine diesel engines, and some natural gas engines. My work involves travelling all over 3 states and flying and boatrides into the gulf of Mexico.

I usually work by myself or with 1 other co worker.

This has is a 14/14 schedule. I am on-call 14 days, then off-duty 14 days. Hours are long when on, but the off time is great!

Most of the people who work in this field are "different" because it is a "different" way of life. I absolutely love it, it fits me and is my life!

Thanks,
    David

Obviously emet has many different degrees of intensity, there it no flipping way I could work on a plane or a boat. Seriously. Just thinking about it has my anxiety up.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyjeannine View Post
    Obviously emet has many different degrees of intensity, there it no flipping way I could work on a plane or a boat. Seriously. Just thinking about it has my anxiety up.
    I respect that - but for me it's the boat's engines that are the draw. I am so passionate about fixing engines that I don't think about anything else when on the boat - but the engine repair job!

Just for fun; here's a picture of me working on a big V16 engine!

I would not enjoy being a flight attendant because of dealing with "people" all day! These engines never argue or get an attitude!

Peace,
    David

I own a graphic design business and work from home. Everything I do is online and I communicate with my employees by phone or email (we all work from home in different cities around the country). Its so strange but makes sense that all 8 of my employees are social phobic, OCD. anxiety and have weird phobias and I did not look for that as a prerequisite. We all just happen to have the same personality types.

My emet is one of the reasons I started my own business that would give me the freedom to work at home and not be around people all the time. I go out a normal amount but eliminating a corporate america job from my life has saved me from getting sick so many times. I mean, I have not even had so much as a cold this past year. I had the sv* a little over a year ago but that was my own fault. I did not follow the emet rules for when you go to a party with lots of food and people.

When i worked in an office, I got sick 3-4 times a year with a cold, bronchitis,etc. it makes me thankful to be able to call my couch my office. lol

If you want to see what I do, check out my site. www.manringmasterpiece.com. I designed a logo for emetophobia a long time ago but never did anything with it. I figured one day I would write a book or make a website about it and use the logo. If you want to see it, it is below.

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post
    I own a graphic design business and work from home.
    Neat artwork! (looked at your gallery) Very talented indeed.

Interesting about the work from home. My work is FAR FROM work at home - but like you I don't have to deal with "people" other than a few co-workers, who are also good friends.

I think many of us like more "time by myself" than the average person does.

Thanks,
    David

I'm a court reporter (stenographer) so I'm in different places all the time. The only time I REALLY have a hard time with my emet when working is when I'm doing a criminal jury trial and they bring 40 potential jurors into the courtroom and make them all sit there for hours while they question them. I am CONSTANTLY scanning the room for people who look like they don't feel good I'm usually only in the room with a couple of attorneys and a deponent, so when there's that many people around being MADE to sit still, it scares the crap out of me

New Jersey (Soon to be Carolina!!) United States

Im a bartender part-time at a tiki bar in the summer, but once I move, Im not sure it will be so "tiki" in a sense. My full-time job at the moment is at company where I do customer service and office management M-F 8-6.... I work with about 7 people up in the office and there are about 15 other people in the factory or in the engineering firm.
    The bartending thing was always my favorite, being around friends, and in the summer, my emet (which I am definitely the lesser version of...) never bothers me.
    Im only scared of the sv so the winter is my down month. If it's not an outbreak, Im pretty mellow too. For that, Im grateful...
    I could never work at a doctor's office...THAT is my only thing.

I am a hairstylist. I like my job because I am pretty much in charge of my time and space. But it does suck when I'm feeling anxious and I am trying to concentrate on giving my client the "experience" that they deserve and I really just want to run away from the chair because I'm nervous!

I'm a minister in the United Church of Canada - that's my day job. I also author books and articles, give keynote addresses at conferences and do workshops on personal leadership. I'm trained as a clinical counsellor but I only treat emetophobics so I only have a few clients. As a minister I have to visit people in hospitals and nursing homes - so I need to prepare myself for sick folks!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.