Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How do you make a living?

Hi, I'm new here. I make a living as a doctor. Scary but true. I feel like I have channeled my phobia into this - I thought I might get better if I desensitized myself- and I chose a field where most people v*. I learned that I don't fear it as much in a controlled setting, like the hospital. It's the surprise v* that occur in personal life of which I am most terrified. Also, I have the luxury of politely leaving the room and asking a nurse or nurse's aide to help out. Seeing this at work has not at all lessened my fear at home.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabean518 View Post
    Im a bartender part-time at a tiki bar in the summer, but once I move, Im not sure it will be so "tiki" in a sense. My full-time job at the moment is at company where I do customer service and office management M-F 8-6.... I work with about 7 people up in the office and there are about 15 other people in the factory or in the engineering firm.
    The bartending thing was always my favorite, being around friends, and in the summer, my emet (which I am definitely the lesser version of...) never bothers me.
    Im only scared of the sv so the winter is my down month. If it's not an outbreak, Im pretty mellow too. For that, Im grateful...
    I could never work at a doctor's office...THAT is my only thing.
    I know you aren't that bad of an emet, but how is it working with alcohol and potentially drunk/sick patrons? Does that effect you at all? I have considered doing this in the past, but depending on the environment and clientele, I think I'd be anxious about something happening the entire time.

I was a team lead at a huge departmant store. But i had to leave due to all of the "episodes" I was expected to deal with. So now I am home with my kids. A job I can't leave, but still it has its "episodes" lol

I'm an interior design assistant, currently looking for a profession with more moolah, benefits, and advancement. Love my job, but realistically I can't make a living from it. I used to work at a daycare and quit after 2 months, I actually encountered 2 children get ill!

i work in tech support and i usually work from home about 15 hours a week and in the office the rest of the time. luckily i have my own office and can shut my door and hide if i want. its nice because if i am having anxiety i can leave the office and work from home or not even go into the office at all. i can not imagine being a teacher or working in a hospital! the anxiety would kill me! kudos to those of you who do!