Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Wonder Woman-Cancer Patients, what should I do?

Hello, I am an actress and recently was asked to be Wonder Woman for a children's event that I had done in the past that raises money for cancer patients, so I said "Yes, for sure".

I just got the contract for it and didn't know that this time I'd have to be visiting cancer patients at a hospital. I am scared to death about it because I fear I might see several kids v*ing.

While I am a very sensitive person and feel for those who are ill and suffering, especially those poor kids, I don't know if I can handle doing the job. I am an actress and I'm suppose to be professional and fulfill my role. Wonder Woman can do anything and she wouldn't be scared...but I myself am afraid of having a panic attack and traumatizing the kids even more, that Wonder Woman can't handle V*.

What should I do? I haven't sought treatment yet although I take Zanax to avoid having panic attacks on planes in case someone gets s*. Should I tell the company that hired me that I can't do the job because of my phobia? Should I just chance it, take a couple Zanacs and hope that none of the kids get s* around me? What would you all do in my shoes?

Your help as always, means a lot to me! Thanks

Default Re: Wonder Woman-Cancer Patients, what should I do?

Hi there,

Congratulations on having such a great job and for agreeing to help raise money for those poor kids!

Personally I would HAVE to do it - even though I can totally understand your anxiety about it. To me it wouldn't be so bad as I'd know that it wasn't the catchy type of s**k but would obviously be traumatic still. I think the chances of seeing someone actually v* are quite low.

I think you should pop a couple of zanacs and think positive - I'm sure you'd be kicking yourself if you backed out. Do it and be proud of yourself xx
    Those who are brave may not live forever, but those who are cautious do not live at all xx

Very true, do it and be proud of yourself. If I were in your shoes I would do it for sure. I bet no one gets sick while your there. Plus you get to wear a Wonder Woman coustume!!! How sweet is that!

natact - normally kids who are feeling very ill and vomiting right after chemo or something wouldn't take part in the activities of the day. So yes, there is a risk - but it's not a huge one.
    Perhaps you can gain some strength from your character? WW can endure anything, right? Tell yourself "I'm WonderWoman - I am not in any danger!" and you'll be ok. And take the Zanax!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I definitely think you can and should do it!! Take the Zanax, and be strong

Though, it wouldn't hurt to mention your fear to somebody who may be in charge or present, so they can watch up for ya, or reassure you that things will be fine. My co-workers know about my phobia, and have saved me SO much from walking into the back and seeing somebody ill.

You may find these links helpful!