Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Smile Anti Nausea Meds

Can anyone share their story on how they got anti-nausea meds? I don't have a primary care physician and feel weird going to a new doctor and telling him/her I need them because I have this phobia. Any suggestions would be great!!

Default Re: Anti Nausea Meds

There are a few over-the-counter medicines that you can find at the drugstore. Emetrol is one name brand. I can't vouch for it personally though. I only recently spotted it, and now it's just happily sitting in my medicine cabinet, waiting for me to need it. Hope that helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by surfer View Post
    Can anyone share their story on how they got anti-nausea meds? I don't have a primary care physician and feel weird going to a new doctor and telling him/her I need them because I have this phobia. Any suggestions would be great!!
    When I have gone to the doctor for other reasons, if they are prescribing meds, I tell them the truth. I say that I have emetophobia and that I won't be able to take the meds unless they also prescribe anti-nausea meds along with it. Usually I am still too afraid to take the meds and too afraid to take the anti-nausea meds also, but I also usually don't need them except for assurance.

My daughter uses an OTC med called Nausene and that seems to work for her to take the edge off most of the time.

dramamine is good and you get it without a dr. .....makes you pretty relaxed....i have a prescription for phenergan........use it only when nothing else seems to work, but usually the dramamine takes care of it

I tried zofran and I have to say it didnīt help for me but you might have more luck

agreed with aizjanika

I buy phenergan but it's not available OTC everywhere, luckily it is here though as there really isn't anything else I could get. Some people find benadryl to be helpful and of course there is emetrol (though I've heard it doesn't work a lot). I find my emet has actually worsened since I bought anti-emetic meds because I ''depend'' on them a lot when 99.9% of the time I feel n* - I'm not going to v*.

I'm a benadryl freak. I hardly take it, but I KNOW it works! I carry it with me everywhere, and it also helps with anxiety. Tried Emetrol, Dramamine, Nauzine..none of that works for me. Phenergan/compazine work for me too..

I like ginger, & also, there`s a drug you can get OTC, called Motillium (Dompiradone) I don`t know if you can get it in other countries, but it`s really good, I have never had any side effects from it, & I never go anywhere without it.

Yea me too....Motillium 10 definately works and you get over the counter in the uk

Lisaloux

zofran has worked for me so far. I get it from my doc and although he knows i have this phobia i initially told him that it was for my IBS. Good luck

I love Dramamine, which is OTC. You can also get it in chewable for those times when you're too afraid to swallow a pill. I don't seem to like Gravol, which is supposed to be the same, and is all they sell in Canada. Although sometimes I would nibble on the end of one of the gummy ginger kind and that in itself would be enough to take the edge off. I saw at the store yesterday that you can get those in suppositories if that's your thing...

I still make trips down to the States just for shopping, and Dramamine is my one must-have item if I just go through the airport or something!

Quote Originally Posted by kristinak View Post
    I'm a benadryl freak. I hardly take it, but I KNOW it works!
    I'm curious, how does benadryl work to combat n*? I used to take it occasionally for allergies, but had to stop because if I woke up in the night after taking it it made me depressed + loopy + borderline suicidal (I think from feeling so out-of-sorts)!

Quote Originally Posted by klikittyklak View Post
    I'm curious, how does benadryl work to combat n*? I used to take it occasionally for allergies, but had to stop because if I woke up in the night after taking it it made me depressed + loopy + borderline suicidal (I think from feeling so out-of-sorts)!
    It's anti-nausea as well, I believe through muscle relaxation. When you are pregnant, they perscribe you Diclectin, which is Vitamin B and Benadryl. Don't know the mechanism by which it works, but it works for a lot of people!

Wow. Maybe I should bust out my Benadryl then!

You really should tell your doctor. It's hard, but it's their job to help you out.

I take antacids (Zantac, though simple heart-burn remedies work) to help reduce the discomfort caused by stress... Stemetil (Best prescribed antiemets I've tried)... And also the herbal OTC's which are-

Peppermint capsules [Polos are equally as good if I'm honest]
    Root ginger capsules [Used to treat motion/morning sickness]
    St. John's Wort [Brilliant for anxiety and depression]
    It's better to spend a moment happy, than a moment worrying whether or not you'll be happy tomorrow.

I take phernegan and compazine. Also I have a stash of Pepto Bismol, Emetrol and Cola Syrup. With the Cola Syrup, just pour it over crushed ice and sip slowly, I feel like it helps.
    "there's a light at the end of this tunnel" you shout, 'cause you're just as far in as you'll ever be out. these mistakes you make, you'll just make them again if you only try turning around.. and breathe. just breathe <3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i have phenergan and i ask every dr i go to,,,so i have A LOT...I like it and it works for me...but it makes me very tired and I feel like IM in a drug coma the next day and just sleep. I also have zofran, but really dont know how I feel about it either way. I took it with a xanax so i am not sure if the xanax helped my nausea or the zofran, bc most of my nausea is from anxiety...I also have emetrol OTC never have taken it...so we shall see...i am very honest with my drs they know about my phobia and have no problem prescrivbing me any anti nausea meds...

Benedryl works in a similar manner to Dramamine, by blocking histamines. This chemical effect can reduce nausea, as histamines are an import part of the vomit center of the brain.

The anti-depressant Remeron also has pretty heavy anti-emetic effects. I take it, and it makes me extremely hungry and sometimes I take it to combat what I perceive as nausea. I have also taken it when I was ACTUALLY nauseous and it seemed to help.

Motillium is, as its name suggests, a gastroprokinetic drug that promotes motility. It spurs the emptying of the stomach, making it difficult for the body to "bring up" food as it is being moved through the digestive system. Metoclopramide is also in the same category.

I use sea bands (those things that go around your wrist for seasickness) and sniff peppermint oil. Since 99% of my nausea is anxiety those work quite well. They also work for most real nausea (pregnancy, migraine, motion sickness, indigestion...)
    "If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

i get them for my migrains. but my doc did say even travel sickness meds could help so you could try that

I'm telling you guys, just suck on a mint. It honestly helps more than any of my meds do!
    It's better to spend a moment happy, than a moment worrying whether or not you'll be happy tomorrow.

I normally just have chrystallized ginger, peppermints, and antacids (tums, gaviscons). The ginger and the peppermints usually do the trick.
    Mint tea and ginger tea are also lovely as well.

I do use perscription Meclizine, normally for when I'm riding on a bus (I haaaaate buses, the smell of the fuel + everything about them = blah!), and I haven't had too many problems other than feeling a bit loopy if I've taken more than I normally do (usually 1/2 a pill to 1 pill depending on the length of the bus ride)

GUM! gum gum gum. It soothes my stomach almost everytime. Otherwise I'll take a mint. I've never had to resort to meds. BUT I will stick to dramamine if need be in the future.
    Let success be measured by the happiness in your heart.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
    I use sea bands (those things that go around your wrist for seasickness) and sniff peppermint oil. Since 99% of my nausea is anxiety those work quite well. They also work for most real nausea (pregnancy, migraine, motion sickness, indigestion...)

Never heard of those, sounds nice? Do seabands work real well? I hope I can find some, Going on a cruise soon.
    Let success be measured by the happiness in your heart.

I'm always too scared of the side effects to take most meds...

I guess that's why mints and ginger work really well for me. Anyone know anything else herbal?

I have to take other pills for genuine stomach pain, but it doesn't subside the nausea much.
    (Except antacids. They always make me calm too!)

I find camomile tea helps and sucking on a peppermint. I don't go anywhere without Stemetil! I get the prescription by telling the Dr that I've been feeling off colour (and pray I don't jinx myself). Smelling something fresh like Vicks vapourub or similar (Dencorub, etc) seems to help a bit, especially when pregnant.

Sea bands are awesome work really well for nausea! you can get them at most pharmacy's just ask!!!

I have used emetrol a few tmes and it works well, as well as those sea bands and and I know i trigger point between fingers taht helps when i put pressure there.

That is so funny because emetrol use to be the only thing I would take for nausea growing up. Pepto YUK!!! Sea bands are awesome. What is this with the finger trigger points?

Dramamine (gravol) is really helpful and works quite well. But if you don't have any now I would recommend that you don't start taking hem. It will only make your fear worse, in my opinion.